forum

Do people actually enjoy Playboi Carti's Music?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ymir
I can think of one good song by him, but the rest is just making incoherent noises into a microphone with autotune on.
Wimpy Cursed
hell no
ClevelandsMyBro
no but im sure some people does
MusicRitman
I see dollar signs in the title, I don't even need to play this crap.
Nikolai
opium broidi
BluePyTheWDeer_
no
AnnaRazy
i barely even know who he is
(i know that he's a rapper and shit but that's it)
Patatitta
mfw I don't like popular artist and I look for validation over the internet
Lapizote
you guys are so uncultured smh my head
lostsilver
heard of him, heard some of his stuff, dislike hate him
Patatitta

lostsilver wrote:

heard of him, heard some of his stuff, hate him
omg lost silver how could you ever hate a person my view of you has been ruined forever... you betrayed me...
sametdze

lostsilver wrote:

lostsilver

Patatitta wrote:

lostsilver wrote:

omg lost silver how could you ever hate a person my view of you has been ruined forever... you betrayed me...
ok lemme rephrase that, i don't hate him, i just... mildly dislike him
i just don't like rap as much as i like rock/country

the only things in this world that i actually hate are
1: spiders
2: people who ship minor x adult characters
3: skid x pump shippers

oh and those creepypastas that use the "hyper-realistic blood/eyes!! blood coming out of the eyes and mouth!!! red pupils with black sclera!!!!" like bro be original

also also, i found this which is another reason i don't like him
i think it's true bc i can't find anything disproving it

sametdze wrote:

lostsilver wrote:

yo calm down--
Jellinad
depends on the instrumental
Patatitta
what the fuck lostsilver don't back down
lostsilver

Patatitta wrote:

wha
Patatitta

lostsilver wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

wha
don't just "mildy dislike them", harvest your hatred
Wimpy Cursed
embrace it
lostsilver

Patatitta wrote:

lostsilver wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

wha
don't just "mildy dislike them", harvest your hatred
ok redediting my post
i like genuinely hate him lol

Wimpy Cursed wrote:

embrace it
maybe
Winnyace
I haven't listened to the man's music, but his verse on Earfquake was something not even the Chinese will ever figure out
Lapizote

Winnyace wrote:

I haven't listened to the man's music, but his verse on Earfquake was something not even the Chinese will ever figure out
carti's lyrics themselves are never the star of the show, its more of the vibe that you get from it
tyler knew what he was getting when he got him for earfquake
Wimpy Cursed

lostsilver wrote:

ok redediting my post
Change of the century
lostsilver

Wimpy Cursed wrote:

lostsilver wrote:

ok redediting my post
Change of the century
lol
sametdze

Wimpy Cursed wrote:

lostsilver wrote:

ok redediting my post
Change of the century

lostsilver actually hating something/someone specific was not on my bingo card
lostsilver

sametdze wrote:

Wimpy Cursed wrote:

lostsilver wrote:

ok redediting my post
Change of the century

lostsilver actually hating something/someone specific was not on my bingo card
i hate him for a reason tho
bc of this
xch00F
I hold the belief that, at a fundamental level, music is speech without language. the voice is an instrument, but does it always need to say something with language? not really. consider yodeling, scat singing, or throat singing. the words used in these styles often do not matter, allowing you to appreciate the same qualities you would in other instruments. timbre, pitch, melody, etc. obviously I'm not comparing the virtuosity of jazz vocalists like ella fitzgerald or yodelers like franzl lang to playboi carti lol.

with that said, I think playboi carti is boring as hell lmao. the production is often times really boring and basic and I don't think he has a very good command of his voice. as far as "mumble rap" goes, I much prefer young thug. obviously his lyrics are just as vapid but the way he uses his voice, the way that he goes much further in pushing his voice, makes his music just way more interesting to me. jeffery is the best mixtape of the 2010s and I will fucking die on that hill. playboi carti has too much of an ego to record a track like harambe. another example is bladee, I like a lot of the instrumentals on his albums and he comes up with pretty good melodies, but I absolutely detest the timbre of his voice. fuckin hate it. if you took an album of his like 333 and kept everything the exact same but just one-to-one replaced his voice with theremin solos, it would objectively be a better listen.

I understand the appeal of playboi carti's stuff, ppl listening to this kinda rap aren't looking for lyricism or interesting production, they're looking for a backdrop. it's ambient music. I'd rather listen to actual ambient or drone but that's just me. and quite frankly, lyricism can be exhausting. mainstream rap ala playboi, thug, future, etc, there's no intent beyond the surface, that's not the point. you don't need to understand the deeper meaning behind a bar like "all these hoes gonna flock when I drop." rappers like aesop rock, mf doom, billy woods, etc, use lyricism that's so dense and so purposeful that the best way to listen to them is to read the lyrics as they're rapping, even when they're enunciating as clearly as they do. sometimes you just gotta turn the brain off and listen to something dumb.
Lapizote

xch00F wrote:

text
I hold the belief that, at a fundamental level, music is speech without language. the voice is an instrument, but does it always need to say something with language? not really. consider yodeling, scat singing, or throat singing. the words used in these styles often do not matter, allowing you to appreciate the same qualities you would in other instruments. timbre, pitch, melody, etc. obviously I'm not comparing the virtuosity of jazz vocalists like ella fitzgerald or yodelers like franzl lang to playboi carti lol.

with that said, I think playboi carti is boring as hell lmao. the production is often times really boring and basic and I don't think he has a very good command of his voice. as far as "mumble rap" goes, I much prefer young thug. obviously his lyrics are just as vapid but the way he uses his voice, the way that he goes much further in pushing his voice, makes his music just way more interesting to me. jeffery is the best mixtape of the 2010s and I will fucking die on that hill. playboi carti has too much of an ego to record a track like harambe. another example is bladee, I like a lot of the instrumentals on his albums and he comes up with pretty good melodies, but I absolutely detest the timbre of his voice. fuckin hate it. if you took an album of his like 333 and kept everything the exact same but just one-to-one replaced his voice with theremin solos, it would objectively be a better listen.

I understand the appeal of playboi carti's stuff, ppl listening to this kinda rap aren't looking for lyricism or interesting production, they're looking for a backdrop. it's ambient music. I'd rather listen to actual ambient or drone but that's just me. and quite frankly, lyricism can be exhausting. mainstream rap ala playboi, thug, future, etc, there's no intent beyond the surface, that's not the point. you don't need to understand the deeper meaning behind a bar like "all these hoes gonna flock when I drop." rappers like aesop rock, mf doom, billy woods, etc, use lyricism that's so dense and so purposeful that the best way to listen to them is to read the lyrics as they're rapping, even when they're enunciating as clearly as they do. sometimes you just gotta turn the brain off and listen to something dumb.
based and respectable take
momoyo
i used to many many years ago, kinda grew up of rappers repeating the same thing over and over and now enjoy more lyrics type stuff now. i guess j cole was right
B0ii
don't care about him
xch00F
also as an aside there is zero good country music being played on the radio and there's a pretty good argument that this was, in part, due to 9/11. unironically the vast majority of good modern country music is on bandcamp.
it just so happens that this album turned 10 years old this week and imo it's a perfect example of great country music that would never see radio play in the same way shitheads like jason aldean do. fuck him and fuck nashville.
o and here's another country album that's not nearly as good as the one above, it's a competent album and produced rly well but it's really funny to me that this is an album by rhett from rhett and link lmao
I AM VERY SMART
HeLL YeS, THaNKS TO HiS CONCeRTS.

Luqanted
backr00ms and carti's verse at off the grid is pretty sick
ELIGE NA GOAT
bunch of haters smh. i don't glaze him but theres a reason hes popular
xch00F

ELIGE NA GOAT wrote:

i don't glaze him
it'd b pretty gay if you did
semaphore
I didn't know the people who listen exclusively to video game OSTs and newgrounds music inhabit the osu forum but in hindsight I shouldn't be surprised
xch00F

semaphore wrote:

I didn't know the people who listen exclusively to video game OSTs and newgrounds music inhabit the osu forum but in hindsight I shouldn't be surprised
if you're on a forum related to a video game you can assume that most people posting there don't have very good or robust opinions on music
you would think it would be different for rhythm gamers but it turns out they're really no different
Eyeonized
Not a fan but i can listen to it :) sky is something i like listening to when im getting [REDACTED]
Winnyace

semaphore wrote:

Is there an issue with doing that?
Topic Starter
Ymir

Winnyace wrote:

semaphore wrote:

No, but to be fair I would image people here would be into Anime songs instead. I guess the Anime and Gaming fandom does mix so it's not completely surprising.
Winnyace

Ymir wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

semaphore wrote:

No, but to be fair I would image people here would be into Anime songs instead. I guess the Anime and Gaming fandom does mix so it's not completely surprising.
I asked that person in particular because he gives off the vibes off someone who is elitist about something that's very subjective in nature.
semaphore

Winnyace wrote:

I asked that person in particular because he gives off the vibes off someone who is elitist about something that's very subjective in nature.
Well, there's nothing wrong with the music in particular. I was more so referencing a certain archetype of person that makes an extremely corny and mildly racist point of never listening to "(c)rap" because it's "all mumble trash", and, of course, the tired remarks about lyrical content that merely serve as a self-report that they have never actually tried to explore the genre. By the way, that's what elitism actually is.

Speaking of remarks about lyrical content i cannot believe what he did to this beat oh my GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
I AM VERY SMART

semaphore wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

Well, there's nothing wrong with the music in particular. I was more so referencing a certain archetype of person that makes an extremely corny and mildly racist point of never listening to "(c)rap" because it's "all mumble trash", and, of course, the tired remarks about lyrical content that merely serve as a self-report that they have never actually tried to explore the genre. By the way, that's what elitism actually is.

Speaking of remarks about lyrical content i cannot believe what he did to this beat oh my GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Why is he moa*ing on the beat LMAOOOOO
Achromalia

semaphore wrote:

the beat is so soothing and sweet,, and for what ;v;

i don't really get it lyrically but if i listen for purely vocal texture and melody then i... actually kinda love it a lot somehow

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Why is he moa*ing on the beat LMAOOOOO
this too, lmaooo

but coming from the uninitiated, i kinda love that too??? its stupidly funny for me
xch00F

Winnyace wrote:

Ymir wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

semaphore wrote:

there is no issue with listening to video game osts and newgrounds music in and of themselves
generally speaking the issue is when people who listen to a very narrow and specific set of genres try to voice opinions on music outside of those genres when it's blatantly obvious they know nothing about them and don't care to know. a lot of these people are either unwilling or unable to engage with music outside of those genres, and yet still believe that their opinions are not only worth voicing, but are right. that is elitist.

personal enjoyment of music is subjective, that is true, but when people make blanket statements about genre labels that are as broad as "rap" is that are demonstrably wrong, it's stops being subjective and becomes objectively incorrect.

this goes for all styles of music but is particularly notable with rap because, unfortunately, a lot of the willful ignorance towards the genres comes from racism lol. the reason semaphore mentioned video game osts is because nearly everyone who listens exclusively to video game osts are uncurious and are, seemingly, unable to critically parse music that doesn't have an explicit context associated with it thru some other medium. I've never met anyone who listens to just soundtracks in general but I've talked to many people who only listen to video game soundtracks specifically and they're all like this.
Winnyace

semaphore wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

xch00F wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

Ymir wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

semaphore wrote:

there is no issue with listening to video game osts and newgrounds music in and of themselves
generally speaking the issue is when people who listen to a very narrow and specific set of genres try to voice opinions on music outside of those genres when it's blatantly obvious they know nothing about them and don't care to know. a lot of these people are either unwilling or unable to engage with music outside of those genres, and yet still believe that their opinions are not only worth voicing, but are right. that is elitist.

personal enjoyment of music is subjective, that is true, but when people make blanket statements about genre labels that are as broad as "rap" is that are demonstrably wrong, it's stops being subjective and becomes objectively incorrect.

this goes for all styles of music but is particularly notable with rap because, unfortunately, a lot of the willful ignorance towards the genres comes from racism lol. the reason semaphore mentioned video game osts is because nearly everyone who listens exclusively to video game osts are uncurious and are, seemingly, unable to critically parse music that doesn't have an explicit context associated with it thru some other medium. I've never met anyone who listens to just soundtracks in general but I've talked to many people who only listen to video game soundtracks specifically and they're all like this.
Alright. I see how things are now. Thanks lads.
semaphore

Achromalia wrote:

i don't really get it lyrically but if i listen for purely vocal texture and melody then i... actually kinda love it a lot somehow
Yeah, I think it's still good when looking at it like this (as with most Playboi Carti songs) but I don't think I'll ever be able to not get whiplash from "I'm with this shit like a baby"
MrNeonGuts
if u fw his music tap into osamason , jus mapped a song out from him
I AM VERY SMART

MrNeonGuts wrote:

Nice map

MrNeonGuts

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

MrNeonGuts wrote:

Nice map

preciate it :)