Aesthetic HD Skin [osu! | mania] - Version 1.3.1

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Redon

Version 1.3.1
Last updated on June 11th, 2014

Aesthetic aims to combine a minimalist approach of few distractions
with a clean yet colorful and visually appealing design.

When I started playing osu! a few months ago and decided to look around for some skins, I was both surprised and disappointed that a vast majority of those advertised as simple or minimalist didn't meet my idea of such a skin at all. Even now, I can count the number of really clean skins I've seen on one hand. When I started working on this, I knew none.

My goal was to create a skin for myself and those who are interested in using it. A tight skin optimized for playing that still manages to look pretty. No shadows, reflections or other effects that make the circles look fancier, just a plain and flat theme.

I've been working on this skin off and on during the last few months, adding on and improving step by step. Right now, it's pretty much complete for osu! standard mode, although there are a few things here and there that may need tweaking. I plan to expand this skin for all modes in the future, but I'd like to take my time to familiarize myself with the gameplay and come up with some ideas first.

If you decide to give this skin a try, thanks! I hope you enjoy it.

All feedback is welcome, I'm happy to find new ways to improve this skin.

Additional Information
Hitcircles

The Aesthetic skin provides three different hitcircles that users can choose from, depending on preference.
All hitcircles are designed to blend in seamlessly with slider borders.

Hit bursts

The hit bursts adapt the new default colour scheme to a flat look. When playing for scores and optimal performance, I see 300 hits as an unnecessary distraction, so they are disabled by default. If you prefer to play with these hit bursts, they are still included in the Extra folder.

osu!mania

Mod icons

For this skin, I attempted to create a new set of icons in simple shapes that remain recognizable even when viewed at a small size. In addition, the mod icons are divided into colour categories that allow them to be quickly recognized by their nature. Roughly speaking, red mods increase difficulty, green mods make a beatmap easier. Silver mods make reading a map harder and are required for silver S ranks, special mods are purple.

Combo bursts

This skin doesn't contain any combo bursts. The idea is to keep the design as neutral as possible, and I can't think of any way of putting combo bursts as they are to good use with that in mind. Feel free to add your favourite combo bursts from other skins, or create your own!

To do
  1. Taiko skin
  2. osu!mania skin
  3. CTB skin
  4. Replace section fail/pass sounds
  5. Replacement for Pause/Fail screen
  6. Increase hitsound volume, possibly rework some sounds
  7. Add bigger cursor alternative
  8. Improved followpoints
  9. Add transparent hitcircles
  10. Add cinema mod icon
  11. Ranking graph

Download Link: Aesthetic 1.3.1.osk (v1.3.1, 11. June 2014)

File size: 17.4 MB

Installation

.osk - Quite simple, just download the .osk file and open it in osu!. If you already have an earlier version of the skin and want to update, make sure you delete the old version first. You can also rename the old skin folder instead.

.zip - Extract the Aesthetic folder using your file manager of choice and put it in the Skins folder at your osu! installation directory, typically at C:\Program Files\osu!\Skins

Changelog
Version 1.3
  1. Added mania skin, including keys and notes in 6 different colors and white.
  2. Various changes to support skin version 2.2 and the new beatmap panels:
  1. Adjusted menu-button-background and stars
  2. Fixed alignment of ranking letters on the new beatmap panel layout
  1. Added cursor smoke
  2. New hitcircleselect in the editor
  3. Small adjustment to the normal-hitnormal hitsound
  4. Added the updated menu buttons that should have been there last time
  5. Added a Target Practice mod icon
  6. Changed the mania Fade In mod icon
  7. Slight adjustment of the colour scheme of all hitbursts, mod icons and menu options
  8. Added a little glow to the approach circle to make it appear smoother
  9. Adjusted the hitlighting
  10. Probably more that I forgot about because it's been a while.

Update 1
  11. New Pause/Fail screen
  12. Fixed typo on osu!mania hitbursts
  13. Cursor-smoke redone to fix the nasty edges in SD, and reduced in size
  14. Added osu! and osu!mania mode icons
  15. Moved default and score fonts to a separate folder, and added a black score font set
  16. Small adjustments to default and score fonts, scorebar, small ranking letters and key overlay
Version 1.2
  1. New small ranking icons
  2. Adjusted shading of default and ring hitcircles from being too bright and flat to a pastel look.
  3. New color palette
  4. New font choices to fit the recent osu! redesign: Updated mod icons, hitbursts, score and default numbers and more.
  5. Changed "Spun Out" mod icon
  6. Adjusted pause and fail screen
  7. Added menu snow
Version 1.1
  1. New and improved hitsounds for normal and soft set
  2. Added alternative big cursor, slight change to default cursor
  3. Improved followpoints - quicker fade
  4. Added missing spinner-rpm.png
  5. Added purple to default combo color palette
Version 1.0
  1. Added icon for Cinema mod
  2. Added two alternative transparent hitcircles
  3. Added ranking graph (An amazing rectangle!)
  4. Adjusted transparency of reverse arrow
  5. Centered pause and fail screen options
  6. Added HD preview video
Old Downloads
Aesthetic 1.3.zip (v1.3, 5. June 2014)
Aesthetic 1.2.zip (v1.2.1, 27. March 2014)
Aesthetic 1.1.zip
Aesthetic_1.0.osk (v1.0, 7. March 2014)
Aesthetic.osk (v0.9, 28. February 2014)
darkmiz
cool skin, I like it
Uruoki
I don't usually post on the forums, however the skin caught my eye. It is really well done. Just played a map, and it is really easy to play with. Took me a few seconds to get use to since it was a bit more busy than skins I use. The design of each element matched really well. The only thing I didn't like was the pause screen. The pause in the background was too much of a distraction for me and didn't seem to fit. Since you said that standard is pretty much complete, I would suggest an optional hitcircle with a transparent middle like this. Also suggest a background for ranking graph.
Noobsicle
very nice skin, i love the lifebar :)
Kyokkuraga
Just tested it and already lovin' it, I'm just kinda used to the Default one but this one is really smooth to play with :D
XMornIngStarX
Hi, I really like this skin especially for the default numbers as it is easy to read. ^^ Hope to see more skins from you in the future. ^^
Trializ
Very nice and smooth skin, the cursor and numbers are really awesome, and I like those little hints like "press space to skip" :)
Elzapatoverde
Oh man, this is neat. I really like the cursor and the ranking panel.
Rio-
This skin looks neat... gonna download It for sure ^^
[ Stellar ]
wow.
I have to say, skin is cleaner than most skins i have ever seen.
Great job! :>
Kodehawa_old
Just awesome.
Pannari
This skin is /extremely/ beautiful. The only thing is that the hitsounds could be a bit louder, and this would be perfect.
Aka
just ♥
daredakke
This looks really slick, I'll make sure to try it out.
Topic Starter
Redon
Thanks to everyone for the nice words and feedback!

The first update is here. It may be a small one, but there's some new hitcircles to test, let me know which one you like best!
Some of the issues you addressed aren't fixed yet, which I will hopefully take care of soon.

Download Link: Aesthetic_1.0.osk
File size: 16.44 MB

Changelog
Version 1.0
  1. Added icon for Cinema mod
  2. Added two alternative transparent hitcircles
  3. Added ranking graph (An amazing rectangle!)
  4. Adjusted transparency of reverse arrow
  5. Centered pause and fail screen options

Uruoki wrote:

I don't usually post on the forums, however the skin caught my eye. It is really well done. Just played a map, and it is really easy to play with. Took me a few seconds to get use to since it was a bit more busy than skins I use. The design of each element matched really well. The only thing I didn't like was the pause screen. The pause in the background was too much of a distraction for me and didn't seem to fit. Since you said that standard is pretty much complete, I would suggest an optional hitcircle with a transparent middle like this. Also suggest a background for ranking graph.
Thanks! That means a lot. Seeing that you created a skin in much the same spirit and how well it was received was a good motivation to finish this one. :)
I tested your hitcircle idea for a while and I ended up liking it a lot. I included it along with a completely transparent hitcircle in this update, so it should appeal to more players with different preferences. I also put finding a possible replacement for the pause screen on my to do list. Can you elaborate on how exactly it feels distracting or unfitting? Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

Pannari wrote:

This skin is /extremely/ beautiful. The only thing is that the hitsounds could be a bit louder, and this would be perfect.
You might be right - I put this on my list too, so I'll have a look the hitsounds and see which need a bit of a boost and/or improvement. Thank you again!

Noobsicle wrote:

very nice skin, i love the lifebar :)
Might be my favourite part, too. :)
Sentient_DELETED
nice skin!
Topic Starter
Redon
I took some time today to upload a HD preview video that shows off gameplay with the three different hitcircles and some ingame screens.

It should help viewers get a quick impression of the skin in action. I hope you enjoy!

LuigiHann
I haven't tried out this skin but I have to say I really like your mod icons!
Toroguythingymajig
wow this skin looks extremely good.
Choclodous
Damn it's so nice.
show more