forum

How about piracy?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
reinosk
okay I know everything we do on the internet, whether it's streaming anime or reading manga, has to be legal. but there are many out there who can't afford that and end up looking for mirror sites to watch anime or read pirated comics. what are your thoughts on this? As in the case of [REDACTED], which has been completely shut down, there are many other alternatives.

Third parties are heaven, but not for creators.
Patatitta
this a topic that GMT in here doesn't really like, but personally I 100% support piracy, I think specially for anime and manga it's unrealistic to expect people to actually pay for some stuff that may not even be available in their region. + Piracy is only damaging if it's actively removing sales from the product, if you weren't willing to spend that much money / wasn't able to pay. And pirate the product, then it's fine, the developer wouldn't have obtained the money anyways
Kobold84

Patatitta wrote:

this a topic that GMT in here doesn't really like, but personally I 100% support piracy, I think specially for anime and manga it's unrealistic to expect people to actually pay for some stuff that may not even be available in their region. + Piracy is only damaging if it's actively removing sales from the product, if you weren't willing to spend that much money / wasn't able to pay. And pirate the product, then it's fine, the developer wouldn't have obtained the money anyways
Talking about piracy is fine, just don't give out specific examples and especially links.
Patatitta

Kobold84 wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

Talking about piracy is fine, just don't give out specific examples and especially links.
I see, I think corne wastelanded topics like this in the past
Reyalp51
piracy good
lostsilver
tell me i suck all you want, but i think piracy is NO PARTY
(haha see what i did there mario party fan anti-piracy screen reference)
Nuuskamuikkunen
If I am able to watch it non-pirated I would. Stuff like Youtube and a few free streaming services (Pluto TV, Tubi, etc.) are a better alternative than piracy although their options are limited. Paid streaming services do offer better options but some of them are either unavailable in most countries or don't exist in any service.

Otherwise, don't see it that bad.

lostsilver wrote:

Anti-piracy screens are way rarer than the creepypastas make people believe, most people haven't come across one unless they somehow force them to appear or someone failed pirating something.
lostsilver

Nuuskamuikkunen wrote:

lostsilver wrote:

Anti-piracy screens are way rarer than the creepypastas make people believe, most people haven't come across one unless they somehow force them to appear or someone failed pirating something.
i was making a joke my guy
Patatitta

lostsilver wrote:

Nuuskamuikkunen wrote:

lostsilver wrote:

trust me, we know
lostsilver

Patatitta wrote:

lostsilver wrote:

Nuuskamuikkunen wrote:

lostsilver wrote:

trust me, we know
oki :p
Neigdoig
At this point, because corporations are doing whatever they can to suck everyone dry, piracy is a moral obligation. After all, nothing says "Forget your deeds, [insert corpo]!" like going to the high seas. Even people like Louis Rossmann do it because of the nonsense DRM measures that are eventually cracked.

Besides, piracy has been proven to boost legitimate sales of whatever is being sold, whether it be a game, movie, or whatnot. Corpos need to really understand that piracy is good for business, and they don't need oodles of money, just make a good product that can be piratable.
Topic Starter
reinosk

Kobold84 wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

okay, noted
Nanofranne
I fully support piracy. Every year, a certain raster manipulation programme is keep getting more and more bloated (as in I don't need what they add more feature than necessary). I can't see myself purchasing subscription because of such steep prices and those adds up. And last time I checked, I can't officially download older version of it. Newer version keeps getting bugs, errors, and crashes that I can't stand using it by any means.

As for anime or manga and other stuff, A mix of service issue and finacial issue. I can't realistically purchasing titles without getting broke. Onlins streaming and other subscription also not an option due to lack of quality Internet and again, snowballed prices. Sites like *******.** loads almost instantly while I tried legal anime distributor streaming service before and it loads up like crap
sametdze
its good

anything else though? well..
🤫
Jangsoodlor

Nanofranne wrote:

I fully support piracy. Every year, a certain raster manipulation programme is keep getting more and more bloated (as in I don't need what they add more feature than necessary). I can't see myself purchasing subscription because of such steep prices and those adds up. And last time I checked, I can't officially download older version of it. Newer version keeps getting bugs, errors, and crashes that I can't stand using it by any means.
Honestly, the features that the subsciption-based model of that Raster Image Manipulation programme have (that the formerly one-time payment version that that company used to sell does not) is just "AI editing". I bet most people would be fine even on 10-year-old release of that Raster Image Manipulation Programme.
ClevelandsMyBro
no money: pirate
dont want to: get a job
I AM VERY SMART

reinosk wrote:

okay I know everything we do on the internet, whether it's streaming anime or reading manga, has to be legal. but there are many out there who can't afford that and end up looking for mirror sites to watch anime or read pirated comics. what are your thoughts on this? As in the case of [REDACTED], which has been completely shut down, there are many other alternatives.
people are saying that piracy is bad and illegal but it's a very common thing nowadays. even people who have the money to watch anime and read manga online don't waste their money on something they can watch or read for free. as long as they don't get caught red-handed, they're 100% fine. i'm not saying that i pirate what i watch, just that people have to stop acting like it's a bad thing when everyone else is doing it in secret.
Jangsoodlor

Anaxii wrote:

reinosk wrote:

people are saying that piracy is bad and illegal but it's a very common thing nowadays. even people who have the money to watch anime and read manga online don't waste their money on something they can watch or read for free. as long as they don't get caught red-handed, they're 100% fine. i'm not saying that i pirate what i watch, just that people have to stop acting like it's a bad thing when everyone else is doing it in secret.
Content pirating has been a thing for ages now. And I'd say people 10-15 years ago pirates more than now.
Neigdoig

Jangsoodlor wrote:

Content pirating has been a thing for ages now. And I'd say people 10-15 years ago pirates more than now.
Thank the introduction of DRM. That was the straw that broke the camel's back in terms of piracy. It's now morally required more than ever, and I've advocated for it for years.
Topic Starter
reinosk

Nanofranne wrote:

As for anime or manga and other stuff, A mix of service issue and finacial issue. I can't realistically purchasing titles without getting broke. Onlins streaming and other subscription also not an option due to lack of quality Internet and again, snowballed prices. Sites like *******.** loads almost instantly while I tried legal anime distributor streaming service before and it loads up like crap
I agree with this, after all if there was no piracy, there wouldn't be many fansubs. (this is wrong thinking)

from some of the comments, it may be concluded that piracy isn't entirely wrong, provided it is done carefully.
I AM VERY SMART

Jangsoodlor wrote:

Anaxii wrote:

reinosk wrote:

piracy existed since the era of video cassettes so it's yeah (i think)
BlueChinchompa
I am fine with piracy ive done it since I was like 9.

In some countries shows or games are either too expensive or just not available all together. Most games (at least in Amercia) are being raised to like 70 dollars which is very expensive for most people, so it makes sense to pirate it.

And piracy has also made games run better due to DRM.

Online streaming services like netflix raise their prices and take away good shows and I am tired of having to subscribe to a free trial or buy another subscription to watch one show when I can just pirate it.

It does suck for indie developers, but pirating for big corps I can careless. I wouldnt buy adobe products anyway if I could not pirate them so they aren't losing anything.
Neigdoig
And the reason people get caught is due to bad OPSEC. Basically, bad privacy practices are what get people caught doing it, especially if they talk too much about it in unencrypted circles.
I AM VERY SMART

Neigdoig wrote:

And the reason people get caught is due to bad OPSEC. Basically, bad privacy practices are what get people caught doing it, especially if they talk too much about it in unencrypted circles.
what's the difference between a good OPSEC and a bad OPSEC?
SDx
Piracy is good. I learned a lot of english words because wanted read untranslated comics(at least translation not was offical)…

If you have nice service for purchase like Steam and have enough money(and correct price) you don't waste time to find information. Anyway old games not run on new systems and you needed search modified installer or use virtualization.

Just don't tell about it to another people(WinRAR?), have password on PC and all be fine…
Jangsoodlor

Neigdoig wrote:

Or live in a first world country
Neigdoig

Anaxii wrote:

what's the difference between a good OPSEC and a bad OPSEC?
Maybe this could help? https://wiki.adminforge.de/wiki/Operations_security?lang=en

The idea is that there are techniques you can use to keep yourself from spilling the beans on what you're doing in terms of keeping yourself private, though there is no such thing as privacy in a first world country anymore. People who make mistakes in what they're doing (mainly hackers like PomPomPurin and the dude behind the Vaastamo hack) are usually traced, stalked and targeted for investigations against them.
sanalika1122
Atleast they cant put DENUVO on books
rraxr3s
piracy aint that bad, i use piracy to watch anime/read manga cuz most of the animes i want to watch arent available in my country on crunchyroll etc.
sametdze
does steam achivement unlocker count as piracy?
Patatitta

sametdze wrote:

does steam achivement unlocker count as piracy?
nah
Rizumu Tenshi
There's one video, albeit not related to Japanese 2D culture, that had a really painful takeaway, and it somehow clicks with ANYTHING, including anime.
The takeaway is, "if you want to [blablabla] and you cannot support me directly, just pirate it". Replace the "play my game" in the [blablabla] with whatever you're seeking, be it anime or even visual novels.

This indeed is my stance right now, as I'm rather relying on uploaded records (subs not necessary) for anime, because the clusterfucks like Crunchyroll Clownchyroll don't just care about truly serving licensed anime to every region possible. This is coming from a guy whose home country has nothing to do with anime, despite (the home country) being depicted in too many anime.

Visual novels are a different story for a Video Games topic, but don't get me started on AAA corpos.

Also, uh...

Neigdoig wrote:

Besides, piracy has been proven to boost legitimate sales of whatever is being sold, whether it be a game, movie, or whatnot. Corpos need to really understand that piracy is good for business, and they don't need oodles of money, just make a good product that can be piratable.
A game called Just Shapes & Beats affirms this, if anyone feels this is nonsense. Apply that to anime.
great_elmo
No wonder why piracy is still a thing if I can't find the shows I want to watch. I myself personally use 9anime and most importantly, I'M BROKE!.

I would add a screenshot of broke weeaboo paradise but images in forums are a pain to work with.

I fully support piracy and will continue to do so until the day I die. Hell some companies (I'm looking at you! Ubisoft, Nintendo, EA) I will only pirate from.
Winnyace
I live in Romania. To watch anime legally, since this is the Otaku Culture subforum, I have to pay for Crunchyroll. At the moment, Crunchyroll costs 31.99RON. That's a pretty hefty price to pay every month for me, a college student who uses those 31.99RON to pay food so I can live. I don't have the money to pay monthly for a subscription from a streaming service at the moment.
Now here's another thing: last time I tried Crunchyroll, which was a few years ago, I must admit, many shows were region locked. In fact, almost every show I wanted to watch was region locked.
And yet another thing: what if the show I want to watch is somewhere else? What if it's on Netflix? What if the show I want to watch is obscure and didn't get professionally translated? What if the show was on the platform and now isn't? And most importantly of all: why should I pay the money that I don't really have for a service that is simply inferior to waiting a bit for a download and I have the show, with decent enough subtitles to understand what is going on, that will never go off the platform unless I, myself, delete the video files, that I can watch anywhere, at any time, online or offline?
I wish, I really truly wish, I could watch anime, or really media, legally, but the barriers to entry are currently too high for me too enter and I don't receive enough of a good service to pay for it.
As someone who does sail the seven seas, I do want to say that I have bought games on Steam and I have enjoyed them. Why? Because I had the money for an one-time purchase and I could play the game, once downloaded admittedly, online and offline, without any issues. Steam provides a very good service that makes me want to support the platform AND the developers. Personally, if I had the money, I wouldn't buy a Crunchyroll subscription, I would buy the Blu-Ray of the show I wanna watch. If it isn't available, well... tough luck then.
Dustinstupid

Reyalp51 wrote:

piracy good
All my games on my 3ds are pirated
great_elmo

Dustinstupid wrote:

Reyalp51 wrote:

piracy good
All my games on my 3ds are pirated
I might not have a 3Ds but all of my Wii games are also pirated (except for my 4 disc games).
[TCD] Dzar03
I support both piracy and legally way
There're so much anime that my local streaming service, company aren't avaliable. Therefore, piracy will be the way
Some of them also featured OVA, ONA, Movies that hard to be found or no longer producing
Back then about 2020s and before, there wasn't an active Anime streaming service in Vietnam so piracy was the only way. Now I support when an anime got broadcast on a legal service but I won't forget how piracy website accompanied with me in the past times
xch00F

Winnyace wrote:

I live in Romania. To watch anime legally, since this is the Otaku Culture subforum, I have to pay for Crunchyroll. At the moment, Crunchyroll costs 31.99RON. That's a pretty hefty price to pay every month for me, a college student who uses those 31.99RON to pay food so I can live. I don't have the money to pay monthly for a subscription from a streaming service at the moment.
Now here's another thing: last time I tried Crunchyroll, which was a few years ago, I must admit, many shows were region locked. In fact, almost every show I wanted to watch was region locked.
And yet another thing: what if the show I want to watch is somewhere else? What if it's on Netflix? What if the show I want to watch is obscure and didn't get professionally translated? What if the show was on the platform and now isn't? And most importantly of all: why should I pay the money that I don't really have for a service that is simply inferior to waiting a bit for a download and I have the show, with decent enough subtitles to understand what is going on, that will never go off the platform unless I, myself, delete the video files, that I can watch anywhere, at any time, online or offline?
I wish, I really truly wish, I could watch anime, or really media, legally, but the barriers to entry are currently too high for me too enter and I don't receive enough of a good service to pay for it.
As someone who does sail the seven seas, I do want to say that I have bought games on Steam and I have enjoyed them. Why? Because I had the money for an one-time purchase and I could play the game, once downloaded admittedly, online and offline, without any issues. Steam provides a very good service that makes me want to support the platform AND the developers. Personally, if I had the money, I wouldn't buy a Crunchyroll subscription, I would buy the Blu-Ray of the show I wanna watch. If it isn't available, well... tough luck then.
if there is anything you should try to fit into your budget it should be a vpn
I AM VERY SMART
A few days ago, 16 illegal anime websites were forcefully shut down by Japanese anti-piracy association CODA in collaboration with the Brazil government. It's not the first time they're closing websites and it won't be the last time
Patatitta

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

A few days ago, 16 illegal anime websites were forcefully shut down by Japanese anti-piracy association CODA in collaboration with the Brazil government. It's not the first time they're closing websites and it won't be the last time
like a hydra, 32 new websites are going to open up, it's useless

maybe, instead of just trying to nuke illegal sites, they should make legal sites that are more appealing than the illegal ones?
Jangsoodlor

xch00F wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

An essay
if there is anything you should try to fit into your budget it should be a vpn
I dont think romania have an actual enforcement for copyright laws lol. It's mostly first world country thing
I AM VERY SMART

Patatitta wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

maybe, instead of just trying to nuke illegal sites, they should make legal sites that are more appealing than the illegal ones?
Unfortunately, these legal sites often have subscriptions you have to pay to watch more than just the first episodes, which is not appealing for those who don't want to pay at all :/
Patatitta

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Unfortunately, these legal sites often have subscriptions you have to pay to watch more than just the first episodes, which is not appealing for those who don't want to pay at all :/
yeah, just, keep pirating all the way