forum

Quitting mapping?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
qwt
Should I give up at this point?

I have asked 200+ people to GD for beatmapsets/2116645#osu/4445053 and not one person said yes. It's not as if I am a new mapper or my map is terrible, aside from the missing 15 seconds I will soonly be mapping, it's perfectly rankable if I had a few GD's but NO

NOBODY IS INTERESTED

No I am not making a full spread by myself I swear to fucking god the whole ranking system is just BN's ranking their friends and well-known mappers maps ... GD??? yea good luck if you did not join AT LEAST 7 years ago and have 500+ mutuals on osu! with at a bare minimum 10+ ranked maps

I hate this game

https://imgur.com/a/tm3ZGPJ

WOW LOOK AT ALL THESE NEW MAPPERS WHO DO NOT HAVE HUNDREDS OF COLLECTIONS FLOODING THE RANKED SECTION but every bn is conveniently "closed"
Hinel
Damn bro, just map, don't make a drama out of it
I AM VERY SMART
keep gambling

Lp9
being underrated mapper sucks

ill make insane gd
lewski
you ask whether you should quit, but you honestly sound way too invested to really go through with it

the only advice i can offer you is that you'd be much happier if you could stop feeling entitled to attention/help/gds/nominations/whatever because that expectation being betrayed is clearly hurting you

chasing validation only leads to frustration
Gsun

lewski wrote:

you ask whether you should quit, but you honestly sound way too invested to really go through with it

the only advice i can offer you is that you'd be much happier if you could stop feeling entitled to attention/help/gds/nominations/whatever because that expectation being betrayed is clearly hurting you

chasing validation only leads to frustration
Blunt, but I agree with lewski. He's right, unforutnately, qwt.

If they didn't properly teach you how to map and mod you properly and respectfully and you're saying this stuff, that would be a real problem to complain about and I would sympathize for you. But looking at your map, hey, at least it's cleaner than my maps and you have a better grasp on the whole ranking process than I do. In your case, if you're this proficient at mapping and you're still whining about that, then that's a you problem, tbh. Take your time and be patient now. You're not the only one that goes through this, that's just how the process works for all mappers, even Lewski himself, for example. Food for though.
I AM VERY SMART
qwt if you want i can help you with mapping!
Topic Starter
qwt

Anaxii wrote:

how so?
I AM VERY SMART

qwt wrote:

Anaxii wrote:

how so?
by giving you tips on how to make a decently playable map for everyone :)

i'm not a very strict mapper so i won't give you overly complicated advices lol
Topic Starter
qwt

Anaxii wrote:

qwt wrote:

Anaxii wrote:

how so?

bro you have made a single map ever

no offense

oh sure my maps are not playable and good enough LET YOU help me out
powerplayer75
damn this actually is good lol

dont try to seek validation through rank because its mostly just being lucky if 2 of the nominators likes both the song and map

i dont know why you care about rank but to determine if you should quit is just a matter of answering why you want a ranked map, and if its worth going through a process thats rooted in subjectivity (as with any other art form)
Topic Starter
qwt

powerplayer75 wrote:

dont try to seek validation through rank because its mostly just being lucky if 2 of the nominators likes both the song and map

i dont know why you care about rank but to determine if you should quit is just a matter of answering why you want a ranked map, and if its worth going through a process thats rooted in subjectivity (as with any other art form)
because I want people to play my maps??v😭😭v
powerplayer75

qwt wrote:

powerplayer75 wrote:

because I want people to play my maps??v😭😭v
so is people playing them worth it enough for you to go through a process that you understand will aggravate you?
Gsun

powerplayer75 wrote:

Yeah, luck is one factor in map ranking, I agree with that for sure.
Ladoma
man, I think it's enough to give up. you've suffered enough for this game. mapping is hard and takes your time a lot, and it's meaningless how good your map is if you can't rank it. too many rules and guidelines, playability is not enough, your map must be interesting to gain attention. BN and modders are humans, and osu! ranking system is not perfect.

you can quit slowly or just quit rn. it's up to you man.

but if you choose not to give up. Don't push yourself too hard, you gain nothing if you sacrifice yourself to this game.

I hope my opinion can help you. also, don't forget to enjoy other fun things.
I AM VERY SMART

qwt wrote:

Anaxii wrote:

qwt wrote:

Anaxii wrote:

how so?

no offense

naw it's just that i never upload my maps lol
Gsun

Ladoma wrote:

man, I think it's enough to give up. you've suffered enough for this game. mapping is hard and takes your time a lot, and it's meaningless how good your map is if you can't rank it. too many rules and guidelines, playability is not enough, your map must be interesting to gain attention. BN and modders are humans, and osu! ranking system is not perfect.

you can quit slowly or just quit rn. it's up to you man.

but if you choose not to give up. Don't push yourself too hard, you gain nothing if you sacrifice yourself to this game.

I hope my opinion can help you. also, don't forget to enjoy other fun things.
Same applies to me. Thank you for being nice enough to post this for me too, man! (Indirectly though, but still, thanks!)
Ladoma

Gsun wrote:

Same applies to me. Thank you for being nice enough to post this for me too, man! (Indirectly though, but still, thanks!)
You're welcome, bro.

That's what i got from doing this almost 5 yrs!

When i see the others can rank a map "easily" (whatever the style they mapped) with their own circle. honestly, i was envious of them. (Yeah, my mental to mapping is worst XD)

but that's okay. Thanks to them, Their cooking saves osu! And keeping this game alive, gaining some new player or maybe some new mapper.

It's feels nice when i found my own stop. Don't forget to find your own stop bro.
SupaV
the reality is that you really can't expect anyone to GD on your map willy-nilly as a non-ranked mapper/new mapper/lots of graveyard etc., especially if there's an unfinished section on a beatmap, that's just a straight no out of the box. even if the map is "rankable" doesn't mean it's going to get ranked anyways.

also, mind you, new mappers can get BNs if they put in the effort. this is why i highly advise mappers aiming for their first ranked to attempt a soloset or map all diffs by themselves. on top of that, you aren't necessarily showing that much effort on face value since your diff isn't finished, really.

this is all coming from me who's been mapping actively for about 2 years; my first ranked was achieved by a soloset, a lot of polishing and most importantly, effort from my side. if you'd want to commit to mapping in the long run, put in more effort than you've ever got and do not expect anything from other people, ever.

otherwise, if you aren't willing to do so, then i advise quitting.
mqwilliamscom
You know what helps me continue mapping? Mapping songs/maps I want to play. Ranking them is secondary to me because it’s so damn rare. If anything, you’d probably be better off doing that and sharing them in multis. I got 1.3k plays from a full spread of cheeki breeki I did because I just want to troll and meme with it. A lot more fun than chasing BNs around.
-Qan-
Same here but I decided not to map for ranking
Gsun

mqwilliamscom wrote:

You know what helps me continue mapping? Mapping songs/maps I want to play. Ranking them is secondary to me because it’s so damn rare. If anything, you’d probably be better off doing that and sharing them in multis. I got 1.3k plays from a full spread of cheeki breeki I did because I just want to troll and meme with it. A lot more fun than chasing BNs around.
Gives me some hope. 1 year to find a 2nd BN wtf.....
Troponoop
asking 200 people??? bro chill

make friends with mappers at your skill level and grow together.

It's about the journey, not the destination.

Supav basically summed it up tho
[-Omni-]

Anaxii wrote:

Troponoop wrote:

YOU SAID EVERYTHING ☝️
as a mapper i completely aggree with this. just be patient and if u can and have the motivation to, learn how to make lower diffs if u cant find gds.
I AM VERY SMART

[-Omni-] wrote:

Anaxii wrote:

Troponoop wrote:

YOU SAID EVERYTHING ☝️
as a mapper i completely aggree with this. just be patient and if u can and have the motivation to, learn how to make lower diffs if u cant find gds.
mapping lowers diffs are always harder than making higher diffs imo.
Hinel

Anaxii wrote:

[-Omni-] wrote:

Anaxii wrote:

Troponoop wrote:

YOU SAID EVERYTHING ☝️
Mappin' low diffs is the chillest thing ever :3
Topic Starter
qwt

Anaxii wrote:

qwt wrote:

Anaxii wrote:

qwt wrote:

Anaxii wrote:

how so?

no offense

naw it's just that i never upload my maps lol
(ur map vs my map) https://streamable.com/89qeyy

BUT MAKE SURE TO GIVE ME ADVICE ... you really know what you are doing here ... i could learn from you mamas
[-Omni-]

Anaxii wrote:

[-Omni-] wrote:

Anaxii wrote:

Troponoop wrote:

YOU SAID EVERYTHING ☝️
yeah.. thats why u should learn that :3