forum

[Proposal] Add volume changes as a guideline

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Fu Xuan
Suggestion:

Hitsound volumes should vary throughout the map to match each section's intensity. If a song has equal intensity throughout, you may choose not to add varying volumes.

I've always wondered why this wasn't written in the rc even as a guideline when it's such a universally followed step when making and ranking maps. Even though people still do this today and majority know of this unspoken rule, I thought maybe we could add it for the sake of clarity for people who don't know since I've seen people getting resets and punished for this in the past, it makes sense anyway.

Besides all of that, I worded it as hitsound volumes instead of volume changes so it'd be more of a general term I guess? Since I've been told of some circumvention like changing the volume of the file itself. Maybe there could be better wording or might have missed other loopholes, always open to opinions.
Ryu Sei
Coming from taiko, most modders suggested me to have variative hitsound volume based on intensity. That way, the hitsounds won't overwhelm the song itself. Having this as guideline will definitely help play experience.

However, for osu!mania, it should be treated differently. osu!mania maps only need hitnormals at bare minimum, thus variative hitsound volume is usually accompanied by custom full hitsounds (WCF), or loosely based on note density if no custom hitsounds present due to multiple notes will amplify the sound.
Drum-Hitnormal
hitsound is not even required for ranking mania, asking mapper to set different volume for different section of song doesnt make sense. pls exclude mania from this
Topic Starter
Fu Xuan
yea was mainly thinking in the standard side, didn't really account for other gamemodes. can just probably add a line at the end about excluding mania
Lasse
this would be almost as bad as adding a guideline that parts of different intensity need to use different sv and spacing
theres so many other ways to vary intensity outside of plain volume changes like
- which samples are used in general (normal hitnormal is way louder than soft for example)
- frequency and type of additions (a part that spams additions is going to sound way more intense overall than one with sparse addition use) etc.

this is not something to be covered by a guideline but something that should be covered by bns modding the map if its an actual issue
fayew
tbh as much of a good idea this is, sadly enough it's already common sense and is redundant atp. ppl already do mods that ask for volume changes so it's pretty much standardized in everyone's (or atleast majority's) heads
Izzywing
im +1 lasse, you should just be expected to be able to mod this if a map does a bad job handling it, dont think it needs to be written down necessarily
Protastic101
Agreed with the others, this should be left to BN discretion rather than pseudo-required as a guideline. In mania, you often see BNs already suggesting hitsound volume balancing between difficulties due to note density differences between them that can make a seemingly quiet sounding hit-normal incredibly loud. I think nominators are doing a good job on that front already and thus doesn't need to be formalized.
clayton
+1 to protastic/fayew/lasse (forum reactions when)
AnimeStyle
I get where you are coming from, but there are songs that are short/sameish enough were same general volumes through the whole thing are warranted.

Read the suggestion while my brain was not properly online
lewski

AnimeStyle wrote:

I get where you are coming from, but there are songs that are short/sameish enough were same general volumes through the whole thing are warranted.
the proposal explicitly covered that case from the start plus there are other way more important issues with it
Okoratu
I'm with lasse on that one, it's very unlikely for people to mess this up to begin with, but if anything it needs to be specific to a gamemode as hitsounding isn't required in all of them