forum

Performance Points feedback and suggestions (Standard)

posted
Total Posts
show more
GoldenWolf

Yuzuru wrote:

9k ---> 27k , guess that's because me too mach farm back then :'(
Everyone who used to rank up by tricking the system are getting wrecked quite hard now huehue

More seriously; I always felt like short fast streams were a bit underrated in tp, feels pretty much the same here.
A short 250bpm stream (~11 circles) will be worth less than a long 210bpm stream (17+ circles), but the first one is way harder imo.

Other than that, because it's also close from tp it's a really nice ranking system. Good job there :p
uzzi

GoldenWolf wrote:

Everyone who used to rank up by tricking the system are getting wrecked quite hard now huehue
...except me!
R e d

Liiraye wrote:

R e d wrote:

ItHR still have a over value?

Lets have Thelewa for example: He is really good Hr Hd but he don't have so much speed and DT accuracy as SnowWhite, Dungeon or DragonHuman.

I Respect Thelewa. But still think he don't deserve 3#

It depends a lot really. Some maps that are practically impossible to aim propely that only a handful of players can hdhr deserves pp as well. Don't you agree?

Speed isn't everything you know!

Yes but i can say the same for Fast maps with Dt, Where is impossible for Thelewa beat SnowWhite or Dungeon.

Accuracy isn't everything you know!
el-ev-en
Is there multiplicator for NF?
GladiOol
I was #169 I was so happy

now im #161

i hate all of you responsible for this
Nakage
Well I went from 5.8k to 11k. I did trick the system quite a bit to get to 5k, but not too much. The proof being I've already climbed 4k ranks since I've logged in.

My main issue though is that sometimes I will pass a song, it will end up in my best performances, but I won't get any pp for it. A little strange. Also, osusig doesn't update properly. I've had to change the signature layout twice already just to update it, but that's fairly miniscule.
Dexus
I noticed the new ranking system favors mods even though some no mod maps are a lot more difficult and reward less.
Syclasm

Nakage wrote:

The proof being I've already climbed 4k ranks since I've logged in.
Don't forget to count the fact that inactive players were purged from the rankings. :P

I really like the system as it is right now. Counting all ranks in the system instead of top 1000/800 or 500 makes it a lot more motivating to try and beat your older scores. Went up from 3.5k (ppv1) to 1.8k.
thelewa
muh speedy fingers
Nakage

Syclasm wrote:

Don't forget to count the fact that inactive players were purged from the rankings. :P
Right :3 the purge made me climb 2300 ranks, so I still went from 9.3k to 7.5k, still decent imo.
Layne_old_1
~
Nakage
I like this change actually. It feels much more skill based now rather than just knowing what maps to farm up. The way it was before, if you were in the top 300 or so, then you could make it up to the top 10 if you played enough. You would have enough skill to do so because all the maps that would give the most PP are right around that level to easily farm.

My only problem is rank updates. I played 2 songs. 1 of them made it onto the very top of my best performances, I went up 30 ranks. The 2nd one made it to the 2nd highest, I went up 800 ranks (Now sitting at 6761). I'm sure the ranks aren't clustered that hard in pp to where there's a 100 pp gap somewhere at rank 7k.

EDIT: If it's still in the process of cleaning inactive users, I should note I also went up ~100 pp by playing the 2 songs, so I think the 800 ranks was from the pp, not the cleaning.
uzzi

Layne wrote:

I lofe the chnge in thisbmpe ok vry god.
thx u :)
wat
darkmiz
Can't we just use pp rank instead of score rank for every song like the tp website? or keep both so best pp rank and best score rank are independent.
Almost
If ppv2 is using the same difficulty calculations on maps as tp, why is it that my highest and 3rd highest tp maps don't make my best performance even though everything below did?
ballplay
i guess its good. i went from 8.1k to 8.6k and my acc went up by 1% for some reason. no flaws that i can see
Icyteru

Almost wrote:

If ppv2 is using the same difficulty calculations on maps as tp, why is it that my highest and 3rd highest tp maps don't make my best performance even though everything below did?
shh at least you're higher than me

my second highest ppv2 score gave me gave me 0tp.
Nyxa

GoldenWolf wrote:

It's actually quite nice that easier ranks don't get counted as heavily. Sometimes when I'm tired of playing hard maps over and over I take a "break" where I try getting a top 50 on easier maps. It's a good way to relax a bit if your hands hurt or if you're tired but if you still want to play, but in the old system that'd make your rank go up increasingly. Now I can do the same thing without having to worry about having a "farmed" rank.

I agree with some of the previous posts that it might be nice to see the amount of pp a certain map has earned you, though I understand if that might be annoying to implement.

I have a question about something I've seen in the rankings - next to some ranks, I've seen something like ^3d. Does this refer to the amount of time passed since that score was set? And why does it only show for some rankings, even though I set some other ranks that didn't have that sign beside them?
Almost

[AirCoN] wrote:

Almost wrote:

shh at least you're higher than me

my second highest ppv2 score gave me gave me 0tp.
We both know I'm worse though :P
Wishy
Good to see that peppy finally decided to let you manage this stuff.
Luvdic

Syclasm wrote:

. Counting all ranks in the system instead of top 1000/800 or 500 makes it a lot more motivating to try and beat your older scores.
Considering that some of my top performances are scores i got with less than 3x100 and 1 miss, it has totally made me lose all motivation to replay those maps for fear of losing pp lol.
pielak213
­
[Sakagami Tomoyo]
Hi Tom, your TP and ppv2 systems are really good, but I have some complaints about ppv2.
My userpage: http://osu.ppy.sh/u/1783793
As you can see, it's my best performance:

I don't think these two achievements:
Demetori - Emotional Skyscraper ~ World's End [Lunatic] (97.76% HD)
Dark PHOENiX - Taketori Hishou [Extra] (98.25% HD)
should be posted in it. I mean, I have some 140+ bpm DT HD scores, and they are better than these two above, I think.
I wonder why these two scores can get much pp for me, you know, the acc is not so high and the beatmap is not so diffucult.

Thanks for your hard working :)
Yano
The new System is great how I said last week :)

I got a ultraboost ... from 24k to 18k after 1 1/2H Playing to 14k :D

24k PP(v1) -> 18k PP(v2) -> 14k lawl

Gain PP is now harder with the Difficult Easy-Hard and Insane+ became important.
The new System is more Skill-based how I like it
peterhasaparker
Huge improvements, nice job by all participants!
--
Now that we have difiiculty levels for each map let us browse in osu! and on the website according to these levels, so that one can find a appropriate beatmap easier. Also include a ranking on how fast the map is and how hard the jumps are. This will give people a general idea on who is the better aimer and who has more speed and lets them choose beatmaps according to that.

Don't just take the score with the highest amount of points as the one relevant for pp. A HD+HR FC is worth less than a DT+HD S with one sliderbreak in the middle of the map, but will always award more points.
Probably one could calculate the pp for every score you get and compare it to your current top score. If it was a better performance the new one is chosen as the relevant pp score, even though it awards less points. (e.g. the DT+HD sliderbreak now appears as top rank for pp instead of the HD+HR FC).

A new score system showing the performance of the scores would also work great instead of the suggestion above.
Now that you guys found a way to calculate the actual peroformance nearly accurate, why don't you use this as the "score". So instead of showing the amount of points, the leaderboards could show the pp for each score.
This would support the great pp system and would work as well as the current system for tournaments.
--
Thanks for reading this!
I hope you could get some ideas of it (and that I thought of some new stuff, don't know if others already mentioned it).

best wishes,
Peter
seasonS

Soarezi wrote:

In my eyes, right now, everything seems just perfect. The performances are basically based on skill, and the hardness of the scores. And that's how it should be, for now, really good job.
I agree ~
Oinari-sama
New ranking is great! I'm now placed around those who I think has similar skills in mp, so it's a big improvement.

Great job all!
Rewben2
The new system is definitely more accurate. I really like the new system because it actually encourages me to play challenging maps and do well, which is better for my improvement than the previous system where I didn't really have to push myself for ranks.
RaneFire

Rewben2 wrote:

I really like the new system because it actually encourages me to play challenging maps and do well, which is better for my improvement than the previous system where I didn't really have to push myself for ranks.
This. Improving your rank is now actually about improving... not just playing more maps.
Mamoru Senpai

_-KirA-_ wrote:

I feel like there is some sort of justice with this update
Not only you.
Tshemmp

[Sakagami Tomoyo] wrote:

Hi Tom, your TP and ppv2 systems are really good, but I have some complaints about ppv2.

should be posted in it. I mean, I have some 140+ bpm DT HD scores, and they are better than these two above, I think.
I wonder why these two scores can get much pp for me, you know, the acc is not so high and the beatmap is not so diffucult.

I have to say these two scores are really damn impressive, I could never do them myself, especially not Taketori Hishou. What you consider a good score is also somehow dependent on the player. Maybe for you these scores aren't that good but maybe for other players the 140+ bpm DT HD scores aren't that good.
Spyrunite
This song seems really under-valued to me. - http://osu.ppy.sh/b/137166?m=0
I spent quite a while getting a DT HD FC on it and got basically nothing, some of my other top scores though I would say are no where near as hard as it was for me to FC doll house.

For some reason this seems to be giving a lot of PP - http://osu.ppy.sh/b/95431?m=0
It doesn't seem like that hard of a map to me, not easy, but not worth the points it is giving imo.

I think that speed is being overvalued. Almost all of my top ranks are songs that just put out a lot of notes with not too much difficulty in-between them. Anyway just stuff I've been noticing and don't quite agree with. This system is already miles ahead of PPv1 so I'm happy with it, but it can always be better.
Soarezi
Bad accuracy hd hr scores dont reward much because hr is very accuracy based except on maps like dispel where the aim is the hardest part rather than acc
Rorik

Tom94 wrote:

The rank which has a higher score will count, that is the one which will end up marked as your best in the ingame scoreboard.
I actually had a song where I had a previous rank of 360 or so on before the changes to pp, I played it again today and got a rank of 470 something and went from 1546 pp --> 1547 pp, played it once more and got a rank of 318 but got no pp at all from it. This system confuses me a bit =x
EvaRia
I had an interesting idea.

I know peppy wants to try to put a lot of emphasis on "Contextually relevant" scores into a ranking system, something like a ladder.

I've noticed an effect amongst certain scoreboards, something I guess we can call Scoreboard Stability.

It's hard to explain well, so examples are best I guess?

Highly "Unstable" Scoreboards (The top scores vary heavily on the same mod tier, few if any FCs or SS):
FREEDOM DiVE
osu! Stream Compilation
Don't say "lazy"
Usually incredibly difficult, long, or new maps.

Highly "Stable" Scoreboards (The top scores on the same mod tiers are incredibly similar):
Sis puella magica!
Chousai Kenbo Sengen
Usually incredibly easy or highly played maps.

I think maps with a higher unstable rate scoreboards are generally more "Contextual" (OMG, who's going to be the first to FC this? Who will be the first to FC this with HDHR? DT? FL? First to SS?)

For example, plays like some of Mesita's Flashlight plays (World's End, Gold Dust) or some of Cookiezi's old DT/HR/SS plays (Leia, Airman, Kokou no Sousei) are particularly impressive because they're pretty much the only ones who have charted with those mods or stats.

On the other hand, getting a first place in something like Chousai Kenbo Sengen, while impressive, is slightly less so because so many others have proven themselves of accomplishing it. Unless it's SS, which in this comparison I guess you could consider a Mod tier.

Anyways, I think if you had a way of comparing scoreboard instability and either compiling a chart or weighting the PP top ranks towards more unstable maps we would have a nice context relevant ranking formula.

The rough scale would range from the feasible infinite instability (Nobody has ever even passed this) to the quite impossible infinite stability (Literally ever user in existence has SS.) and award most possible points if you're the only existing user who's achieved the rank. (Mesita only user to S rank World's End on HDFL or better.)

Am I making sense?

This would give flashlight players something to hunt for as they can get high PP values of maps that nobody else has gotten a FL FC in before.

It also would weight more recent plays higher since scoreboards naturally stabilize more over time with some significantly slower outliers.
Kayla
In ppv1 I was 8.3k. In ppv2 I was 10.3k. In this iteration of ppv2 I'm 8.3k. No change here.

However I do like it a lot more, looking at the top players it seems like everyone is being given an accurate place, and I like the fact that if I get a slider break in a 1,000 note song I still get considered for getting pp. It makes ranking a lot less stressful because I dont actually care about the scoreboard ranks at all. They're too volitile, and the people who belong there should always be higher skill level than me. :)
thelewa

Soarezi wrote:

Bad accuracy hd hr scores dont reward much because hr is very accuracy based except on maps like dispel where the aim is the hardest part rather than acc
yyyup

even in tp if you got a bad accuracy HR score the only thing that you got more of was aim tp, and even then it was like 30 more than nomod

by getting good accuracy you get like 60 more accuracy tp increasing the total tp gain and thus since this system is based on tp increasing the total pp gained

all in all low accuracy HR is useless now unless the map is really really hard to aim already
Melt3dCheeze
DT is pretty stupidly weighed, but I guess that's fine as it's one of the harsher mods. Maybe reduce the amount on DT just a tad bit while bumping a tad bit up on HD HR since HR is a bitch.
Topic Starter
Tom94

[Sakagami Tomoyo] wrote:

Could you let me know what exactly those DT HD scores are? I'll look into it then. :)
RaneFire

EvaRia wrote:

snip

Am I making sense?

This would give flashlight players something to hunt for as they can get high PP values of maps that nobody else has gotten a FL FC in before.

It also would weight more recent plays higher since scoreboards naturally stabilize more over time with some significantly slower outliers.
While a good idea in theory, ppv1 actually had this to some degree, and would make ppv2 open to farming since there are so many maps which people haven't tried to FL, but are certainly possible. It's not that FL is "way too hard" as it is just uncommonly used because it's not that fun.

thelewa wrote:

all in all low accuracy HR is useless now unless the map is really really hard to aim already
What is a low accuracy HR? Anything under 99%?

Comparing here, you'd have to practically SS od10 to get any decent amount of pp on maps which can be commonly SS'd nomod.
show more