forum

Windosu 98 - [STD | 16:9 | HD/SD]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Miorine
Yo!

This was my first attempt at a skin with this "desktop" gimmick, and a lot of stuff is pretty rough around the edges because of it. I was happy with it at the time, but I no longer consider this my best work and want to eventually go through and redo a large portion of this skin to bring it up to my current quality standards.

So if you like this concept and want something much more polished, make sure to also check out Windosu XP! I spent a lot of time on this skin, and it's the same concept, just 100000x more polished and with a slightly newer theme.

Thank you for checking out my skins!
A retro skin themed around a famous operating system from the late 90s.

Designed to be an immersive "gimmick" while still retaining enough playability to reasonably use.

[Standard] version includes a standard osu cursor, while [Pointer] version includes a pc pointer cursor.

Screenshots
Download

Changelog
Version 2.0
  1. Replaced followpoints with ones that better match the theme
  2. Removed a couple unused assets and placeholders taken from other skins that I thought I replaced but missed (oops)
  3. Cleaned up score area to better work with non-100% bg dim (still not perfect, but about as close as it can get without making a separate version of the skin for stable and cuttingedge)
  4. Filled recyling bin
  5. Added a variety of new cursor options
  6. Added a clippy to notify of these new cursor options
  7. Added ranking-retry asset (turns out this is not version exclusive to 1.0 skins as the wiki claims)
  8. Added arrow-pause
  9. Remembered to update the version number text to match the actual version of the skin (oops)
  10. Small polish and improvements
Version 1.2
  1. Replaced remaining placeholder files with custom assets
Version 1.1
  1. Remove conflicting and unused lines in skin.ini
Version 1.0
  1. Initial release
Ariizu
wowowow
Stomiks
This is so cool I love it lol
her everything
OMG, that’s one of the best skins I’ve ever seen. Even the startup and the shutdowns are there 🥹
-Nori
so sick
Gentoo
Best skin in the game
TheHyphen
Goat 😍😍😍
-Kori
really takes me back (i've never seen a computer with w98 before)
Arsalan
🔥🔥🔥
Topic Starter
Miorine
The first major update to Windosu 98 has arrived! And you won't even have to restart your pc for this one.

This update fixes a lot of the messier and unfinished parts from the earlier releases, as well as adding a variety of theme-accurate cursor options that should be a lot more playable than the default pointer cursor. These options can be found in the "EXTRAS" folder of the skin's directory, along with a readme file to assist with swapping cursors.

This also means the "Pointer" versus "Standard" distinction of skins is fairly redundant now, but I'll keep it for the time-being just to make it easier to just download and go depending on whether you want an accurate cursor or a more playable cursor. And if you want a mix of both, the options are now included!

Detailed changes include:
  1. Replaced followpoints with ones that better match the theme
  2. Removed a couple unused assets and placeholders (whoops)
  3. Cleaned up score area to better work with non-100% bg dim (still not perfect, but about as close as it can get without making a separate version of the skin for stable and cuttingedge)
  4. Filled recyling bin
  5. Added a variety of new cursor options
  6. Added a clippy to notify of these new cursor options
  7. Added ranking-retry asset (turns out this is not version exclusive to 1.0 skins as the wiki claims)
  8. Added arrow-pause
  9. Remembered to update the version number text to match the actual version of the skin (oops)
  10. Small polish and improvements
Happy Windosuing!
SmockieDen
bro, this skin is freaking funny :)
0x84f
this is a very cool skin, thanks for posting this
VG_Bart
This skin is fire, I'm loving it!