forum

Are my maps unmoddable?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
LaymooDR
I'm almost certain that my uploaded maps can't be fixed up. I'm still in quit mode, but I'm still getting mods to give me anything to fix the map. That almost seems impossible, however. I want to come back to mapping once stuff like modding and stuff gets taken more seriously.

The fact I didn't make an account on here for 5 years is a huge factor to my mapping improvement being locked in stone as absolute shit.
Serizawa Haruki
Every map is moddable, but some maps can't be "fixed" without a remap because they have fundamental problems. Trying to get mods and feedback is always good. However, you're right that finding mods nowadays is challenging because regular users have little to no incentive to actually mod and a lot more maps are created now, you're not the only one struggling with this. If you're looking for general feedback and not detailed mods, you could try asking some mappers/BNs directly (some of them explicitly mention they offer it on their userpage). If you don't get a response, don't let that discourage you from continuing, the person might just be busy or they overlooked your message.
LeomineXD
often this happens but this doesn't mean your map is a worse, also a "good" mapper has modding searching issue. Then i don't understand the part "i have not made an account of 5 years" since the modding's attraction basing about how much is good/bad your mapping style and how much they like the song you decided to show.
I approve about there are maps and songs could be ranked but never got it, where people give their all to rank it and then watch it go graveyard, but i suggest to don't fall so much that you get mad cause someone doesn't like what you made since in this game you improve to bring ranked maps to their maximum beauty.

it's a difficult way to go through but there are people who make it and who can afford to do it with others.
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

LeomineXD wrote:

often this happens but this doesn't mean your map is a worse, also a "good" mapper has modding searching issue. Then i don't understand the part "i have not made an account of 5 years" since the modding's attraction basing about how much is good/bad your mapping style and how much they like the song you decided to show.
I approve about there are maps and songs could be ranked but never got it, where people give their all to rank it and then watch it go graveyard, but i suggest to don't fall so much that you get mad cause someone doesn't like what you made since in this game you improve to bring ranked maps to their maximum beauty.

it's a difficult way to go through but there are people who make it and who can afford to do it with others.
I played the game offline a lot and didn't make this account until months ago.
WitherMite
Please dont take this in a bad way, but next time you try to get mods from the forums try looking for queues from decently experienced modders that specifically advertise to new mappers. (make sure they arent just advertising to new mappers because they are new modders and think it will be easier.) Still make sure to post in other queues though, gotta cast a wide net to guarantee you get some mods.

Since you've mapped in a vacuum for so long, you never really got told the things that you could be doing better, and weren't improving as much as someone who got feedback would.

Assuming they are actually good at helping new mappers they will be less likely to just nitpick your maps the same way other modders who are trying to help get maps ranked will, which wont actually help much with your improvement right now, and more likely to give you generalized feedback and advice for how you can improve your mapping.

If you can find someone or a small group who you can just ask for feedback though, that will be better and faster than trying to get feedback from the modding queues or giant discord servers.

I skimmed your maps that you haven't nuked, won't be detailed feedback, but its something
You at least have a good ear for rhythm and put objects on sounds, but flow and spacing emphasis aren't really there. flow is how the cursor moves through the map, and you can control it to fit the song, try to be more conscious of how the player would move the cursor to play your map and how that movement would feel. spacing emphasis is using changes in object spacing to emphasize certain sounds in the song, generally bigger changes in spacing feel more important, while smaller or equal spacing feels less emphasized. You could also try to pick rhythms to fit the song's intensity a bit better, for example sometimes your rhythms on barambo jingle suddenly get much denser while the song hasnt changed enough to make that extra effort feel justified.
THAT_otaku
To sum up everyone's thoughts simply you just need an experienced enough modder to help you, as they will be able to point you in a direction that will actually be beneficial to your future maps. Normal/beginner modders dont know how to help new mappers properly.

Please read through WitherMites post carefully though it is very informative
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

WitherMite wrote:

Please dont take this in a bad way, but next time you try to get mods from the forums try looking for queues from decently experienced modders that specifically advertise to new mappers. (make sure they arent just advertising to new mappers because they are new modders and think it will be easier.) Still make sure to post in other queues though, gotta cast a wide net to guarantee you get some mods.

Since you've mapped in a vacuum for so long, you never really got told the things that you could be doing better, and weren't improving as much as someone who got feedback would.

Assuming they are actually good at helping new mappers they will be less likely to just nitpick your maps the same way other modders who are trying to help get maps ranked will, which wont actually help much with your improvement right now, and more likely to give you generalized feedback and advice for how you can improve your mapping.

If you can find someone or a small group who you can just ask for feedback though, that will be better and faster than trying to get feedback from the modding queues or giant discord servers.

I skimmed your maps that you haven't nuked, won't be detailed feedback, but its something
You at least have a good ear for rhythm and put objects on sounds, but flow and spacing emphasis aren't really there. flow is how the cursor moves through the map, and you can control it to fit the song, try to be more conscious of how the player would move the cursor to play your map and how that movement would feel. spacing emphasis is using changes in object spacing to emphasize certain sounds in the song, generally bigger changes in spacing feel more important, while smaller or equal spacing feels less emphasized. You could also try to pick rhythms to fit the song's intensity a bit better, for example sometimes your rhythms on barambo jingle suddenly get much denser while the song hasnt changed enough to make that extra effort feel justified.
I always thought it fit the song for me, but that's a good thing to look out for in future maps.

Also, it's still near impossible to get modders for the maps, but it's seeming like the maps can't be modded. I am NOT able to find the right queue for me, so I can't use the forums.

THAT_otaku wrote:

To sum up everyone's thoughts simply you just need an experienced enough modder to help you, as they will be able to point you in a direction that will actually be beneficial to your future maps. Normal/beginner modders dont know how to help new mappers properly.

Please read through WitherMites post carefully though it is very informative
You know anyone that I can contact? I don't know anyone who would be experienced in modding my stuff. It would be a miracle if they find my maps are indeed fixable.
Topic Starter
LaymooDR
Pretty much, even my newer maps aren't fixable. I'm not sure if I will want to officially come back to mapping. I used all that I could gather from modding feedback and the maps still seem to be irreparable.