forum

What are some old anime you like?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Stomiks
I've been recently watching Baki the Grappler in preparation to watch the netflix baki adaption. I'm actually enjoying it despite the overall lower quality in terms of animation and sound quality.

So what are some old anime you like? Animes that released in the early 2000s and below if we're describing it.
Patatitta
lucky star, no explanation neeed

also read monster recently, really cool,

also started a bit of kino no tabi, protagonist goes exploring a really weird world in their motorcycle, staying 3 days in each city she finds, learning about the culture and history of the place in the process, it's a really well written anime/LN, need to finish reading it

have a bunch more of old stuff I've read, but too lazy rn
I AM VERY SMART
Evangelion is the only old anime that I REALLY enjoyed I stg.

I also like every popular shonen/seinen and shojo anime like Naruto, Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon, Berserk and Cardcaptor Sakura
Aireunaeus
i know i havent watched the anime yet but i like AIR not because the anime cuz the 2000s anime aesthetics is ascending me to heaven. this just make life look so easy yet hard
Nuuskamuikkunen
I really loved Shoujo Kakumei Utena, Boogiepop Phantom and Haibane Renmei.
Topic Starter
Stomiks

Aireunaeus wrote:

i know i havent watched the anime yet but i like AIR not because the anime cuz the 2000s anime aesthetics is ascending me to heaven. this just make life look so easy yet hard
wtf you haven't watched the anime but you're a huge fan of it?
Tam-
Great Teacher Onizuka. One of the first anime I ever watched and I still go back to it every now and then :)
I AM VERY SMART

Tam- wrote:

Great Teacher Onizuka. One of the first anime I ever watched and I still go back to it every now and then :)
Great choice my guy.
Cyanara
welcome to the nhk is the best
Aireunaeus

Stomiks wrote:

Aireunaeus wrote:

idk man 😅 i like the 2000s anime aesthetics like clannad or kanon
Topic Starter
Stomiks

Aireunaeus wrote:

Stomiks wrote:

Aireunaeus wrote:

Looks like you just like kyoani's old animation style hmmm
Aireunaeus

Stomiks wrote:

Aireunaeus wrote:

Stomiks wrote:

Aireunaeus wrote:

Looks like you just like kyoani's old animation style hmmm
Yes basically 😖
Neigdoig
Old? I'd say currently Rec, Shuffle! and Urusei Yatsura (Yatsura is from the 80's; Rec and Shuffle! are from the mid to late 2000's).
Topic Starter
Stomiks

Neigdoig wrote:

Old? I'd say currently Rec, Shuffle! and Urusei Yatsura (Yatsura is from the 80's; Rec and Shuffle! are from the mid to late 2000's).
Oh yeah I've been watching urusei yatsura 2022. Did you watch the 2022 ver. too? How good is it compared to the old one?
I AM VERY SMART
Naruto!
HyBer
GLT, what makes Girls Last Tour stand out is its unique approach to storytelling. The anime takes a slow and contemplative pace as it explores the desolate world through the eyes of Chito and Yuuri. The series is full of quiet and introspective moments that allow the characters to reflect on their situation and the meaning of life. The dialogue is minimal, but when spoken, it carries a lot of weight and depth.

Another aspect that sets Girls' Last Tour apart is its animation style. The series uses a minimalist and almost sketch-like art style that perfectly captures the bleakness and emptiness of the world. The animation is simple yet expressive, and it conveys a lot of emotions without relying on flashy visual effects.

Furthermore, the relationship between the two girls is heartwarming and touching. Chito is the more serious and thoughtful of the two, while Yuuri is carefree and cheerful. Their personalities complement each other, and their conversations provide some of the show's most memorable moments. Despite the bleakness of their surroundings, the girls find joy and wonder in the small things they encounter during their journey.

In conclusion, Girls Last Tour is a beautifully crafted anime that explores existential questions in a unique and thought-provoking way. Its minimalistic approach to storytelling and animation, combined with its touching portrayal of the bond between two young girls, has made it one my favourite animes of all time, just look at my pfp. And while it's not that old, I think I can consider it old enough.
sereinty
Ouran host club + kamisama kiss
Topic Starter
Stomiks

sereinty wrote:

Ouran host club
I've been interested in watching that one recently. I'm currently on the fence on it because I don't know whether it's fit for someone who doesn't watch shoujo anime. Is it pretty good regardless?
Reyalp51
Madoka, i watched it when i was like 7
I AM VERY SMART
Dragon Ball & Dragon Ball Z
sereinty

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Naruto!
VERY BASED
I AM VERY SMART

sereinty wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Naruto!
VERY BASED
Yuuup
MARIOXDLOL
dragon ball :)
I AM VERY SMART

MARIOXDLOL wrote:

This is also VERY BASED
Ymir
toradora counts as old, right?
also yu ghi oh, I grew up on that one.
Topic Starter
Stomiks

-Remi wrote:

ah wtf toradora's 2008? I thought it was in early 2010's?!
Duck o-o
i like fruits basket,chobits, obviously kanon, and also suzuka
also like all the old shounen, my favorite being between bleach and one piece
Aireunaeus

Stomiks wrote:

-Remi wrote:

Prolly that’s where the new anime aesthetic really started 😢
Nuuskamuikkunen

Stomiks wrote:

-Remi wrote:

A few anime from late 2000s do look like 2010s, like To Aru Majutsu no Index (2008, same studio as Toradora), K-ON!(2009), Tetsuwan Birdy Decode (2008-09), Phantom Requiem for the Phantom (2009) and Soul Eater (2008) to name a few.
I AM VERY SMART
Bleach is also good
k4N4
󠀡󠀡
Shacovian
Jin-Rou, Perfect Blue, Paranoia Agent, Urusei Yatsura and Versailles no Bara are probably my favourite old anime.
Chezza Tweedy
i have so many old animes that i love the most but azumanga daioh and lucky star are my favorites
TheAngryNerd101
I'm a huge fan of the batshit, off-the-rails bullshit of the 80's and 90's, complete with gratuitous, over the top violence and sex and content that makes you go "wtf?".

Ninja Resurrection and Apocalypse Zero are two perfect examples, both offer some of the most repulsive and insane bullshit to have ever come out of this medium and that is no exaggeration. As TERRIBLE as they are (because they are by no means even REMOTELY good) I recommend checking them out because boy are they an experience like no other!

As for something of this era that's actually good, Fist of The North Star (1986 Movie) is chock-full of gore and carnage. If you're not familiar with the show, it may be a bit confusing but if you are well-versed in the show, expect one hell of a fun time, because this kick-ass film ditches the (although clever) censors and filters of the show and shows you everything in all of its glory, guts and all.

For more lighthearted stuff, Project A-Ko! and Bubblegum Crisis are two great 80's anime I highly recommend.
Project A-Ko! is a really stupid but really fun movie full of references to other popular anime of the time, it's action packed and sure to bring a dumb smile to your face.
Bubblegum Crisis is an 8 episode OVA series about chicks in battle suits kicking ass, awww fuck yeah. It's more serious in tone but still very fun.

Patatitta wrote:

lucky star, no explanation neeed

also read monster recently, really cool,

also started a bit of kino no tabi, protagonist goes exploring a really weird world in their motorcycle, staying 3 days in each city she finds, learning about the culture and history of the place in the process, it's a really well written anime/LN, need to finish reading it

have a bunch more of old stuff I've read, but too lazy rn
Lucky Star = old?

It's barely been a decade and a half since its run. It's old enough to be considered a classic (in the sense that it's well known and a popular representative of its genre) and is part of a different era of anime but I wouldn't really consider it "old" as much of what's in it still has a hint of modernity in it and given how the manga is still ongoing... then again, yeah it'll be 20 in a few years so I guess it can be considered old now...
MARIOXDLOL

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

MARIOXDLOL wrote:

This is also VERY BASED
yeah very based asdf
Rezq Gokou
monogatari series
Aireunaeus
you already know which anime
I AM VERY SMART

Aireunaeus wrote:

you already know which anime
Hatsune Miku
sshix_
Cowboy Bebop is pretty cool anime
i like it
I AM VERY SMART

sshix_ wrote:

Cowboy Bebop is pretty cool anime
i like it
Oh my god I forgot that I still need to watch it
UPR
The World God Only Knows - was such a whiplash when watching it. While it's kinda divisive among anime watchers (MAL-type peeps) I rather enjoy the comedy of it and how the story goes even if it can be a bit wild at times though it doesn't mess too much with it

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - When I was a bit more of a just general anime fan, Mecha's were pretty much a hot topic for me. I liked them a lot. Nowadays it's wained (sadly) it doesn't deter me though especially when I have one like MSG 00 that I watched. The story got me hooked and the fights were pretty alright. Was a blast to watch

Full Metal Panic - Another mecha, and damn was it good as a kid and pre-teen. While its kinda meh nowadays for me it hasn't lost its charm and will make me rewatch it sometimes depending on mood

Gurren Lagann - Okay I'm seeing a pattern in the shows I watched when I was younger. Anywho this show is actually fucking amazing and my preferred Studio Gainax show. (Eva fans are in shambles, wouldn't know don't plan to watch it.) Really inspired me when I was younger before my cynicism grew but it still provides some inspiration to this day so meh

Full Metal Alchemist (2003) - Don't know enough about the opinions of this board when it comes to FMA '03, but I prefer it over Brotherhood. It itched me in a way that Brotherhood couldn't, though I do recommend watching both since they slap hard in places, but FMA '03 was one of the first anime I watched all the way through

Gunslinger Girl - So this one was also one of my first, and holy shit what a fucking whiplash moment it was as a kid, one of the most depressing shows I had ever watched to this day, yet it's also beautiful in that way. It tells a story where there is no good or bad, it's all fucked up in a way, but that adds to its themes and narrative. What a beautiful show it was in Season 1 (Season 2 dropped the ball hard asf and its unlikely we will ever see a proper redo nor to the same effect the first one had imo)

Desert Punk - Okay so this one is more just something I watched to pass the time when I was younger. Not the worst thing, but not something I would recommend to any non-Otaku types I know

Cowboy Bebop - Nothing really to say here, it is really good and a must watch

Kanokon - Okay... so hear me out- Just kidding, so this one was my first "real" anime, and what a fucking way to start than with an ecchi (what letting your kid have unsupervised internet access does to a mfer) Now this is mainly a ride or die type show. It's not for everyone (ecchi be like that) but I did enjoy watching it back then (mainly out of confusion for the more R18 stuff and finding the comedy and fights funny and cool for my dumbass back then) and I mainly look back on it in fondness and stupidity for the rabbit hole I fell into

Jin Roh - This one is more a movie than an actual anime but it is still one of my favorites. It is what hooked me heavily into a specific type of anime, political thrillers, and alternate history. The animation is that of an outdated style but it is like the basis of the story, uses it anyway, and holy shit it is amazing, I would recommend it in a heartbeat
Behrauder
The 2006 and 2007 animes are very good.
Neigdoig

Stomiks wrote:

Oh yeah I've been watching urusei yatsura 2022. Did you watch the 2022 ver. too? How good is it compared to the old one?
I've seen the first episode. I already see signs it wouldn't be for me to watch, due to many things I have seen telling me "stay away from this version". I'd rather watch the OG.
Aireunaeus

Behrauder wrote:

The 2006 and 2007 animes are very good.
based
Rezq Gokou
2009 also good
ahem bakemonogatari
MARIOXDLOL

Anaxii wrote:

MARIOXDLOL wrote:

This is also VERY BASED
Yup
I AM VERY SMART

MARIOXDLOL wrote:

Anaxii wrote:

MARIOXDLOL wrote:

This is also VERY BASED
Yup
Without forgetting dragon ball Z :)
Reyalp51

i forgot the entire plot of sakura but it was cool when i was a kid
I AM VERY SMART
Ngl she looks like a magical girl!
Nuuskamuikkunen

Anaxii wrote:

Ngl she looks like a magical girl!
Because it's literally a magical girl anime.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/232/Cardcaptor_Sakura
show more