forum

Which is the first day of the week?

posted
Total Posts

This question hugely depends on culture/region.

Sunday
40.91%
Monday
59.09%
Other(Please state below)
0.00%
Total votes: 22
Topic Starter
Julian_Kaiser
We're taught that Sunday is our first day of the week.
It seems that European countries observe Monday as the first.
I'm curious to know if there are other countries that have a different day to observe as the first day of the week.

Or rather, a different week system.
Nuuskamuikkunen
Here it's sunday afaik, but workdays start on monday.
Kaaruumii
sundayyyy
TGGD
it's definitely sunday
B0ii
Sunday if you're normal
Monday if you're a student
Aireunaeus
It’s always been Sunday. I’ve once seen on a taxi calendar it said Monday as their first week
Topic Starter
Julian_Kaiser

Aireunaeus wrote:

It’s always been Sunday. I’ve once seen on a taxi calendar it said Monday as their first week
I thought the Swiss recognised Monday as the first day?
Aireunaeus

Julian_Kaiser wrote:

Aireunaeus wrote:

I thought the Swiss recognised Monday as the first day?
well yes you're right, but in my opinion it sounds weird
DM FOR MUTUAL
Sunday being the first day of the week just doesn't make sense. It's literally the last day of the weekEND, why would it be the first day of the week lmao
nominomu

yoony1 wrote:

Sunday being the first day of the week just doesn't make sense. It's literally the last day of the weekEND, why would it be the first day of the week lmao
100% agreed
Topic Starter
Julian_Kaiser

yoony1 wrote:

That's a very Anglo-centric view.
Karmine

yoony1 wrote:

Exactly this
Duck o-o
in the international standard its monday
in america and canada (and apparently india) its sunday
Reyalp51
Garfield
Jangsoodlor
in our calendar it's Sunday. But when someone said "starting next week" everyone interpret it as "next Monday"
Topic Starter
Julian_Kaiser

Dementedduck wrote:

Historically, Indians had observed Sunday as the first day of the week.

Despite the international standardisation of ISO 8601, a large portion of the world still prefers dd-mm-yyyy for example. I believe the international standard was mainly to avoid confusion between different countries.

Jangsoodlor wrote:

in our calendar it's Sunday. But when someone said "starting next week" everyone interpret it as "next Monday"
Interesting. Well that only applies to us for things like school since it starts in a Monday weekday.
Kaaruumii

Julian_Kaiser wrote:

Dementedduck wrote:

Historically, Indians had observed Sunday as the first day of the week.

Despite the international standardisation of ISO 8601, a large portion of the world still prefers dd-mm-yyyy for example. I believe the international standard was mainly to avoid confusion between different countries.

Jangsoodlor wrote:

Interesting. Well that only applies to us for things like school since it starts in a Monday weekday.
i was never taught dd/mm/yyyy but i literally never knew why it was mm/dd/yyyy instead of dd/mm/yyyy it was very confusing when i was a kid