forum

Universal Offset Wizard.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ruiNg
Okay, after reading many forum posts about UO and such, I still do not know how to calibrate the UO.

I know it is in the settings but how do I know what value I should put it on using the peppy offset map?

Am I suppose to sync it with the beat or with the approach circle?

Can someone give me a good guide to follow so I can fine tune my UO.

Thank you!
nooblet
How to calibrate: You don't.
kriers
What I heard to be correct and definitely works for me is to download peppy - Offset Wizard.

While having this playing in the background, open the Offset Wizard in your settings. This will make both sounds overlap each other.
Add +20 to universal offset and force it off-sync. Decrease the offset by 1 at a time until the very first tick they sound like they're simultaneous. This should be your universal offset.
Topic Starter
ruiNg
How to calibrate: You don't.
I guess I chose the wrong words to describe it. What I mean is, how do I choose which value in the Universal Offset I should use?

kriers wrote:

What I heard to be correct and definitely works for me is to download peppy - Offset Wizard.

While having this playing in the background, open the Offset Wizard in your settings. This will make both sounds overlap each other.
Add +20 to universal offset and force it off-sync. Decrease the offset by 1 at a time until the very first tick they sound like they're simultaneous. This should be your universal offset.
Okay I'll do this now.

EDIT: Alright I did what you told me to and it sounds good at -12ms. I've played a few songs I've been hitting the notes more accurate.

Thank you.
kriers
Sounds good. Also remember that editing your post to avoid posting twice or god forbid 3 times in a row as you just did is advised :lol:
nooblet
Personally don't really recommend offset, though. Some maps are timed earlier/later than others, you can tell by checking the average +/- time on the results page. Usually keep the +/- balanced, I'd only change the offset if you keep getting a lot more on one side than the other overall.
kriers

nooblet wrote:

Personally don't really recommend offset, though. Some maps are timed earlier/later than others, you can tell by checking the average +/- time on the results page. Usually keep the +/- balanced, I'd only change the offset if you keep getting a lot more on one side than the other overall.
Having your UO sync to your sound card is vital no matter how poorly timed beatmaps can be.

You always have the option of configuring local offset for each individual beatmap (press + or - during the start of the beatmap to set it 5 ms at a time. Hold ALT while doing this to increase/decrease by 1 at a time).
Also remember that local offset works in the opposite way of universal offset, meaning +20 UO is something like -20 local offset.

On the end of each beatmap you can check your timing while hovering the performance bar underneath your accuracy. A result like -30/+10 would promote to decrease your local offset and may have nothing to do with your UO.
nooblet

kriers wrote:

You always have the option of configuring local offset for each individual beatmap (press + or - during the start of the beatmap to set it 5 ms at a time. Hold ALT while doing this to increase/decrease by 1 at a time).
Also remember that local offset works in the opposite way of universal offset, meaning +20 UO is something like -20 local offset.

On the end of each beatmap you can check your timing while hovering the performance bar underneath your accuracy. A result like -30/+10 would promote to decrease your local offset and may have nothing to do with your UO.
Definitely did not know about this function. Thanks! Time to go back and play those badly timed beatmaps @_@
kriers
Watch out for beatmaps with several inaccurate offsets or incorrect bpm.

Those are still impossible without some sort of mental compensation method. A method you quickly lose when leaning on local offset configuration :o
phoenny
I always had offset at 0 cuz i didnt know how to setup it properly so..

It sounds right when i make the UO same as the beatmap.

Like its setted up perfectly already.. should i make my offset to -6 then? It was 0. before. q.q
Vesrand
When I figured out that I can't see any difference between -200ms UO and +200ms I realized that I shouldnt think about UO :lol:
haha :D
Roricon
I think i dont get how it works :/ When I did the method kriers posted i had to put my UO on -3ms but my average +/- on the result time of a song is always towards the negative side like around -25/+10 (was also when the uo was on 0ms).
This was the case with last 5 maps i played so i think I might do something wrong.
JAKACHAN

kriers wrote:

Watch out for beatmaps with several inaccurate offsets or incorrect bpm.

Those are still impossible without some sort of mental compensation method. A method you quickly lose when leaning on local offset configuration :o
I've been playing with the wrong offset for the longest time ;w; I love you Kriers.
Full Tablet
A way to set your UO accurately:

1) https://osu.ppy.sh/s/4659 The offset wizard. But change it so it has 120 beats and OD0 (this allows to have more accurate results).

2) Change your UO to a high number (for example +50), that way in the results screen you get something (-0ms ~ +45ms) (with all the hit errors in one side, so you know the average of the hit errors instead of the average of the late hits and average of early hits).

3) Play the map with your eyes closed (so your vision doesn't mess you up when seeing how off the approach circles are), trying to make the hit-sounds sync with the sounds of the beatmap.

4) In the average hit errors, you should get something like (-0ms ~ +45ms). Subtract the average error (45) to your current UO (50 in example) and you get the estimation of the correct UO.
Then, multiply your Unstable Rate by 0.0238969 to get the estimated error of the measurement of the correct UO.
(If you used a version of the map with only 29 beats, you multiply the UR by 0.0513125 instead).

Example: With starting UO of 70ms, getting (-0ms ~ +60ms) average hit errors and 90 Unstable Rate.
Then the estimated correct UO is +10ms, with an error of 2.15ms. UO: +10ms±2.15ms.
So, the lower is your unstable rate, the more accurately you can estimate the correct UO.
pielak213
­
Full Tablet

pielak213 wrote:

dexus says to use this formula to get your UO if you're using a wired headset http://puu.sh/5iGyC
exmaple: 3 meters ((3/340)10^3)=8.82...
rounded up to 9 +1 for conversions and stuff so +10 offset
Are you sure that formula is for wired headsets?
It makes more sense for speakers where you sit at a distance from them (since the value calculated corresponds to the time it takes for sound to travel from the speakers to your ears).
The time it takes for signals to travel though the wires is measured in nanoseconds (the sound delays come from other sources).
pielak213
­
Dexus

JAKACHAN wrote:

I've been playing with the wrong offset for the longest time ;w; I love you Kriers.
You claimed that changing the offset was always the wrong thing to do. I have no comment.

Full tablet is right it's for speakers not headphones. At that it doesn't calculate the offset from the sound card. Use his method it's the best I've seen so far.
Mathsma
If when I run the offset wizard and there is two audible ticks at -10 ms and 0 ms, does that mean my offset should be -5 ms?
kriers

Mathsma wrote:

If when I run the offset wizard and there is two audible ticks at -10 ms and 0 ms, does that mean my offset should be -5 ms?
it means you should be using -1

I'd also be a little bit careful about basing UO on your own input. Human brains are amazing in the way they can compensate input and osu! has always had this strange delay that I cannot sense anymore.

However, when playing in arcades I'm owned by poor accuracy because I keep hitting early.
show more