forum

Do screen resolution affect note speed?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
beijing beef
If my screen resolution is 800 x 600 and the notes move at 30cm/s

Would changing my screen resolution affect the note speed?
Jason X
As the screen resolution gets bigger, the game also is scaled up, so I don't think there is too much (if any) difference.
I can't say for sure though, I've never really paid attention to that since I've been playing with the same resolution since 2014.

I'll tape a ruler to my screen later and find out if there is a difference.

Edit:
Just tested with the smallest available and the biggest available.
Note: This is the result I got and how I feel about it, it's in no way 100% accurate to how the game functions.

The speed is not really different (not significantly at least), the main difference is that the bigger resolution gets to see the notes earlier, if I counted correctly (using my phone's stopwatch) it's roughly 0.7-1 seconds more time to react, which is a significant difference to me.

The smaller resolution (800x600) just feels a lot more like FL, the notes are shown later (closer to the hit area) which leaves less reaction time.
On the bigger resolution (1680x1050) the playfield is longer, leaving more time to react.
Stomiks
Probably not
flr
it does not (with the exeption of when using HR)
aceticke
osu! will compensate for different resolutions by adjusting the scroll speed, so it does get affected in a way. For example, widescreen monitors will seem much faster, but this is because they have to travel a longer distance to the left side of the screen. Relatively, the note speed is much the same however. You can see this yourself by using a custom resolution by adjusting the config file in the osu! folder.