forum

Rate the mapping technique - Round 3: 'Half-backing'

posted
Total Posts

Rate on a scale of 1 to 5 (Read post before answering)

5 - Love them!
14.09%
24.09%
32.27%
20.91%
1 - Hate them!
8.64%
Total votes: 220
Topic Starter
kingcobra52
Round 3: 'Half-backing'

This suggestion was from Ekaru. If your first note is a quarter beat and the next 2 are eighth beats, arrange them so that you attempt a 'back and forth', except 3 will stop short. (assuming distance snap is enabled) This will create a straight line, as seen above. Can be tricky sometimes, but many mappers have used it at one point.

Current Nominations:
Etna sliders
Zig-zag slider jumps

Nomination requirements:
1. (Optional) A name for the technique (it can be an official name or one you make up)
2. An accurate description of the technique (or alternatively, a screenshot of the technique)
3. A ranked map that has the technique so I can see it in action.
rust45
4. Can be tough to sightread but I am guilty of using them, and once you notice it's actually kinda fun to play.
Zekira
I'm rating it a 4. I use stuff like that on my maps, but excessive use of it makes it a bit unreadable. That's all I can say, really.
0_o
I personally hate patterns like this. I can do them in-game, but they have very little flow and I just don't find them fun at all.
LuigiHann
In your example of 1/4 and 1/8, I'd probably rip my hair out, but assuming we're talking about 1/2 and 1/4, I think that's fine and kind of cool
Ivalset
Going to agree with 0_o, I don't like how it flows. Rated it a 2 anyway, though, since I don't find them that terrible, just a slight dislike.

Edit: Actually, this is made with the assumption that this string continues past 3 beats. If it doesn't, then flow isn't a big deal.
Mogsy
I'm rating them a 3, simply because like any technique, they can be absolutely awful if used incorrectly, but it's still not that bad of a technique. Also, I second etnas as the next topic.
Larto
Rated 3. It can be pretty damn confusing if used wrongly. But if you use them right, they're pretty cool for example in DJPop maps.
Zerostarry
I dont like the flow of these. 2.
Topic Starter
kingcobra52
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Doomsday
i rated a 3. they can be good if used correctly, but otherwise, not so much
Derekku
I gave it a 4. It's nice when used correctly, but I see people using them badly sometimes so ughhhh
Mogsy

kingcobra52 wrote:

LuigiHann wrote:

In your example of 1/4 and 1/8, I'd probably rip my hair out, but assuming we're talking about 1/2 and 1/4, I think that's fine and kind of cool
Actually, I was talking in terms of music, not the actual snap divisor. A quarter beat would be what you normally tap your foot to when listening to the music. (or a white tick in osu)
Just to make a clarification key:

quarter = 1/1
eighth = 1/2
eighth triplet = 1/3
sixteenth = 1/4
sixteenth triplet = 1/6
thirty-second = 1/8

1/4 and 1/8 would make me pull my hair out, 1/2 and 1/4 is only slightly better but still not wise. It's best used with 1/1 and 1/2.
anonymous_old
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Ekaru
It depends on the usage. I usually don't do it very often, but Hirari (TV Size) was an exception. I have no idea how many of these I put in there. I have no idea how many people hate me for it.

Usually I avoid it, unless it "feels" right. Rated a 5 anyways, since I made a map based on those (had even more before I changed a few on my own). <3
eee
*2*
I pretty much don't like any pattern that forces you to go back and ruins the even flow of a map.
I think I know what you mean (1/1 to 1/1 forward to 1/2 headed backwards to 1/1 heading forward), not time for screenshots and my vocabulary is pretty limited. if not, can you come up with some map examples?
CheeseWarlock
3, because they're used more often than they should be. But like I've probably said in the other two threads, it can work well sometimes and if you can pull it off, go for it.
mm201
Meets iNiS style guides and is one of the very few "white hat" ways to add trickery.
FurukawaPan
use sparingly, is my suggestion. Doing it once or twice can add a neat kick to your map. Doing it incessantly throughout will make the map unfun and annoying.
SteRRuM
2, It's not so cool.
show more