forum

Custom (Local) Tags

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +16
Topic Starter
0_o
There are times where I want to play a particular map but I can't remember the title or artist (this happens a lot with japenese songs etc). It would be useful if we could assign our own tags, like lyrics or images in the background, to maps to make them easier to find.
Gabi
or we could favorite them.... put them in Favorite A or B

but i get what you mean, i also sometimes have trouble finding songs i got in my head but cant remember artist/song name. but i cant say i support this :S
Derekku
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Gemi
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
anonymous_old
Not sure what you have in mind, 0_o?

What kind of tags would you add?

I always sort by Artist and find maps that way. If it's an IOSYS map, I look in the IOSYS area. Similarly with Haru, Miku, NicoNico, and BeForU. If I wanna play a certain song I can't remember the name to, I mostly remember the artists around it (e.g. "this map was below IOSYS but above Miku...") so it's quicker to find.

I'm not sure what kind of tags I would be adding if this system were implemented, so I'm not sure if it's too useful. Enlighten me. =]
LuigiHann

0_o wrote:

There are times where I want to play a particular map but I can't remember the title or artist (this happens a lot with japenese songs etc). It would be useful if we could assign our own tags, like lyrics or images in the background, to maps to make them easier to find.
In order for this to actually work in the way you describe, you'd have to assign tags like this in advance... in which case, when you can't remember the title and artist, you might not remember the tag you gave it either :?

I do think we need to put more work into the way that tags work
Topic Starter
0_o
I first thought of this when I was looking for Fooling Mode. I had no clue what the name or artist was, but I knew there was a Psyduck in the background. I thought to myself "wouldn't it be nice if that was in the tags?"

It wasn't (:P), but that's when I thought it would be useful if we could define our own way of searching for maps. It doesn't even have to be for finding specific maps; I could assign the tag "hectic" to maps like Genocide and Love Coloured Master Spark, so if I ever feel like a finger-mashing challenge I just have to type that keyword to have access to those type of maps.
LuigiHann
anonymous_old
TAT.

Tag Approval Team.
Gemi

LuigiHann wrote:

I actually think that tags like that shouldn't be local, everybody should be able to benefit from tags. People should be able to assign tags to maps and then have it be either monitored by BATs or have it be based on community "tag clouds" ... There just has to be some protection against bad/wrong tags
Nope, what we need is local tags. I could very well be using tags like "lol", "pallero", "hot chick", etc to tag maps for myself to easily remember them, but those tags would not be suitable for online use and would probably not be useful for most other people. I really think that this feature would only be helpful if it is not governed by an online community and you can tag stuff in what ever manner you want to. It's about finding stuff that you wont find otherwise, and that means most people will probably use words from their native language or weird tags like "lol".
Derekku
Local tags please.

Besides, think of the extra jobs that BATs would end up doing. Tons of users would be whining and complaining about adding more tags to songs. And like Gemi said, other languages could use their own tags, etc etc.
nollarg
Bumping an old thread because I think it's a good idea.
Feno_old
I agree,this is a great idea,I would love to see a tag system.
deadbeat

nollarg wrote:

Bumping an old thread because I think it's a good idea.
agree. would be nice adding local tags
Luneko

Gemi wrote:

The other solution is to allow players to have as many favourites folders as they want to. This way people could sort their favourites in what ever method they want to, making it easier to find certain songs. More favourites is also a feature request that comes up as a new topic now and then, so people seem to definitely want that one for other reasons too, and it's probably easier to implement.
this would be better imo
Derekku

KillerRind wrote:

Gemi wrote:

The other solution is to allow players to have as many favourites folders as they want to. This way people could sort their favourites in what ever method they want to, making it easier to find certain songs. More favourites is also a feature request that comes up as a new topic now and then, so people seem to definitely want that one for other reasons too, and it's probably easier to implement.
this would be better imo
As has been stated in various duplicate threads, you already CAN make your own folders. It's just that they don't always sort right (but will be fixed once osz2 is out).
Luneko

Derekku wrote:

As has been stated in various duplicate threads, you already CAN make your own folders. It's just that they don't always sort right (but will be fixed once osz2 is out).
oh right forgot about that sry :x
Zekira
Wow I still remember seeing this thread last year.
EvianBubble
This would be useful o_O

+1 suppport
Aoitenshi
Dammit this thing is denied already
Topic Starter
0_o

Ain053 wrote:

um... no it isn't?
Aoitenshi

0_o wrote:

Ain053 wrote:

um... no it isn't?
I've requested this and denied :|
Derekku

Ain053 wrote:

I've requested this and denied :|
You mean this? That wasn't denied o-o;

Also, these are two separate/different requests.
storm704
I find this to be extremely useful. Its like having tags on your music library which helps you find certain songs effortlessly. Hope this gets implemented.
Keredna
Support
Angivare
I've been thinking about this for a while, and I've found a thread already dealing with it, so I'm bumping it

Tags would be separated by a space, and it would be easily searched through by the usual search system
They also would be easily added near the song name/difficulty

Supporting! hope this gets implemented, it would be much easier to use than collections, and real useful
I'd love to see that!
Winshley
Now that there's already a Collection feature, is this feature still necessary or not?
Oinari-sama

Winshley wrote:

Now that there's already a Collection feature, is this feature still necessary or not?
IMO the tags will still be useful.

To me anyway, Tags are used for searches (in client) while Collections are more for browsing.

Tags wil be especially useful if the source of the song is not clearly defined in the Beatmap Listing (Touhou maps are frequent offenders in this department). Being able to tag a song locally can really help "recalling" it later (eg tagging X and Y characters in the BG when source is unknown).

Besides, the current Collections system still needs a lot of polishing I think. Not being able to rename/organise/scroll collections just makes it that much harder to use. (PS I'm too lazy to link up related requests)
Haganenno
Necroing old thread because mine got locked down because of duplicating (sorry mods!).

My proposal:

I am proposing an extra button to add in the "Beatmap options" menu. I am not the best Photoshop user, but you get the idea. If you do not, it works like this:

1. Cllick on "Add custom tags" or press 6.
  1. It lets you type in the "Add custom tags" line. Type in your custom tags, press Enter or 6 to submit them.
  1. Next time you access the same beatmap's options, you already see your tags submitted and you will be able to press 6 or click on the button to edit them.
  1. Beatmap custom/local tags will be submitted for the whole mapset, because making a person apply the same tags for the whole mapset would not only be a hassle and a half, but also there are collections for making one map separated from the mapset.