forum

I want to share a free skin on forums, under which license(s) should the used pictures be?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
892kao
The title is self-explanatory.
JustABeginner
You can credit them in the forum post or in the skin folder through .txt files from sources you find at, and be sure to label the artist's name.
Although, I would like to know more about this "free skin" you want to share.
Topic Starter
892kao

JustABeginner wrote:

You can credit them in the forum post or in the skin folder through .txt files from sources you find at, and be sure to label the artist's name.
Although, I would like to know more about this "free skin" you want to share.
Thanks for the reply. I wanted to make a title with some keywords so that people can find it easily or relate to it. I haven't made any skins yet. By "pictures", I mean photos, not anime art. I suppose that the Creative Commons license is a safe bet, but I think that it's a bit limiting. Should I credit the photographer's work as well?
JustABeginner

The892Username wrote:

Should I credit the photographer's work as well?
If possible, yes.
RockRoller
From a legal perspective (not a lawyer, just someone that knows many licenses): anything that allows you to use, modify and redistribute the graphic for non-commercial use should be fine

But quite frankly outside of skinning contests no one cares and i dont think a skin has ever been DMCAed for non-game assets that were used without permission. Crediting is always welcome and recommended tho