forum

Spacing Related Requests.

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Kitsunemimi
I got a bunch of ideas over time and forgot to post so I'll just put them here in this thread. I just noticed that they both have to do with spacing.

1. Spacing dots.
The spacing dots right now only appear if there's a big fat gap in between notes. They are always spaced out the exact same everywhere you see them. I believe the spacing should become more stretched out depending on the distanced jumped compared to the time between notes. For example, we could have a jump from one corner to the next; they are far apart on the timeline so the dots are somewhat clustered in between. Let's say we put the notes right after each other on the timeline. Now the dots are much more spread out, because it's a big jump. The spacing could also be affected by the average spacing of the beatmap.

2. CtB difficulty.
In theory, I can FC a map with a note every 1/8 the entire song, if it never moves. You can't do that in normal osu! and the difficulty is beyond 5 stars. Well, now if we have a difficulty system based on spacing, it's only 0.5 stars. Extremely jumpy maps, and maps with larger average note spacing will have a generally high difficulty. I have a feeling that this will be pretty hard to implement, but remember there are also zig-zag patterns and patterns that go everywhere. So those can be our future steps.

What do you people think? :D
Zekira
For the spacing issue, really good players can detect jumps solely by anticipating how quick they appear on the map. After playing so much on osu!, I can already easily follow jumps by just seeing how quick they appear from the previous note. No support from me on that first one.

Second, I don't play CTB so I have no say. Lol.
mm201

Harris73 wrote:

1. Spacing dots.
The spacing dots right now only appear if there's a big fat gap in between notes. They are always spaced out the exact same everywhere you see them. I believe the spacing should become more stretched out depending on the distanced jumped compared to the time between notes. For example, we could have a jump from one corner to the next; they are far apart on the timeline so the dots are somewhat clustered in between. Let's say we put the notes right after each other on the timeline. Now the dots are much more spread out, because it's a big jump. The spacing could also be affected by the average spacing of the beatmap.
I thought of this before I even heard of osu! Like, each follow point would represent a 1/4 rest or something.

Nowadays, however, I DO NOT support this, for reasons of authenticity.

The approach circles and the time at which a note appears onscreen should be enough of a clue that it's a jump.
Derekku
I hardly even notice dots while playing osu, so.. XP

However, I support more support of CTB stuff :p
Topic Starter
Kitsunemimi
...Well of course we can anticipate jumps. The dots aren't for a reminder of the jumps, we don't even need them! But since they're there, we can use them and space them a bit so that jumps will look like more of a jump.
Derekku
Maybe. :P Like I said, I never even see them. The notes come too fast in hard/insane songs to even notice them most of the time X3 /me leaves
LuigiHann
I think the dots are pretty good as they are.

I bet peppy could come up with a nifty algorithm for re-tiering maps in CtB and Taiko modes.
Sleep Powder
I wish some CTB stuff weren't impossible to fc...

I guess I'll sort of agree...
peppy

animask wrote:

Report such maps as a bug report and I will look at making them possible.
Sleep Powder

peppy wrote:

animask wrote:

Report such maps as a bug report and I will look at making them possible.
I meant how some of the jumps in CTB are impossible...were you unaware of that or something?
peppy
As I said - that is a bug. Report it in the bug reports forum and I will fix it. Strangely that has not been reported until now. No converted maps should ever be impossible.
Topic Starter
Kitsunemimi

peppy wrote:

As I said - that is a bug. Report it in the bug reports forum and I will fix it. Strangely that has not been reported until now. No converted maps should ever be impossible.
No converted ranked maps. We should make a thread in bug reports for impossible ranked maps for deranking.

Back to the requests now?
anonymous_old
On the first point, I say keep it as it is. The dots are often used when using Flashlight and sometimes when using Hidden, and they are very valuable when they are predictably spaced.

I don't see too much of a point for the second one. You're saying that the difficulty multiplier should be different for different game modes? Iono, seems balanced as it is ATM. If you're doing 1/8's you probably got the BPM wrong.