forum

playing way over your skill level

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
TheBEATZ
in the theoretical situation that someone who was really excited jumped from 3 stars to 6 and mindlessly grinded until they did the map, how do you think they would turn out
kujubuo
they wouldnt be able to do it.thet would just build bad habits and actually be worse.me jumping over 6 star from 5 star made me build a lot of bad habits and i am way worse than i really was right now. i literally got excited for a 5* fc today but i used to get 5* fcs everyday before.
Apraxye
Varies per person. Some learn faster when pushing way past their skill level and manage to pass the map while others such as myself have to gradually get to it.
AccountWontWork
NOT RECOMMENDED!

trying to play maps way above a player's skill level will build lots of bad habits, I am an example of this.

It took about 2 months of rehabilitation before I could finally play properly again, although somehow I can now both pass high star maps and also fc maps.
Manishh
still depends

if the person is also focusing on improving accuracy then he will eventually able to do 6 star jumps but their will be a lot of skill which he will be lacking like reading, accuracy on other patterns, inconsistency, able to do only jumps etc.
Voidedosu
Why would you try to scale a 50ft. wall (jumping from 3-6*) when instead you could take smaller 1-3ft steps (going from 3.2* to 3.3 or 3.4*) instead? Even if you theoretically could grab the ledge of the former, think of how much immediate effort you have to put in just to drag yourself onto that level (in this case, mostly barely passing or B/A-ranking a 6* map). Whereas if you take the slow but steady route of smaller steps--even at a brisker pace--you may not always see your improvement straight away, but when you look back you'll be surprised at how far you've come while you get to glance at everyone doing the painful and immediate route instead.

In other words, just don't do that. Dabble in 6*'s for funsies and to see if you actually can, but stick to just outside of where you feel comfortable (only about .2* or .3* out) and build your way up that way. It'll work out better.

(...Frankly I'm surprised I kept that analogy straight.)
kujubuo

Manishh wrote:

still depends

if the person is also focusing on improving accuracy then he will eventually able to do 6 star jumps but their will be a lot of skill which he will be lacking like reading, accuracy on other patterns, inconsistency, able to do only jumps etc.
doubt
x-chan
it would depend on the kind of map they try to "bruteforce", i imagine there would also be an upper limit to how much they can push but i think they could still improve from that (4-5 stars maybe still doable, anything above i think is counter-productive). anecdotally, it is how i got to 4 stars (i skipped prior stars cause they're slow, even as beginner)
Manishh

Seofmon wrote:

Manishh wrote:

still depends

doubt
I seen some
They do straight up jump to 6star and able to play it but with shitty accha
I remember when I started playing 5star there was one guy who was way lower than me like 600k and he was only playing 6star and I lose to him in 1or 2 map even though I had better accuracy he was comfortable with smashing
My accuracy was 97something and his 94

Voidedosu wrote:

When instead you could take smaller 1-3ft steps (going from 3.2* to 3.3 or 3.4*).
I don't really like moving from .1 or .2 since the star rating isn't that accurate. There can be a map a 5.60* map which is easier than 5.20* and vise versa.

I say the smallest should be 0.3 gape
For me I just go for low, mid and high
Low = x - x.3
Mid = x.4 - x.6
High = x.7 - x.9
kujubuo

Manishh wrote:

Seofmon wrote:

Manishh wrote:

still depends

doubt
I seen some
I remember when I started playing 5star there was one guy who was way lower than me like 600k and he was only playing 6star and I lose to him in 1or 2 map even though I had better accuracy he was comfortable with smashing

Voidedosu wrote:

When instead you could take smaller 1-3ft steps (going from 3.2* to 3.3 or 3.4*).
I don't really like moving from .1 or .2 since the star rating isn't that accurate. There can be a map a 5.60* map which is easier than 5.20* and vise versa.

Low = x - x.3
Mid = x.4 - x.6
High = x.7 - x.9
he probably could have just learned how to pass 5 star and 4 star before passing 6 stars. you cant just learn 6 stars by skipping a lot of stars and just trying how to improve in one map
AccountWontWork

Manishh wrote:

I seen some
haha...

the person who did that must be a dumbass am i right? haha...
kujubuo

AccountWontWork wrote:

Manishh wrote:

I seen some
haha...

i wonder who is that person hehe
Happy Satoko
YyottaCat
Utterly stupid idea.
Voidedosu

Manishh wrote:

Seofmon wrote:

Manishh wrote:

still depends

doubt
I seen some

Voidedosu wrote:

Low = x - x.3
Mid = x.4 - x.6
High = x.7 - x.9
There may not be much of a difference at the higher SR's, but from 1-3* there's a lot of consistency in even a .1 to .2* jump that it makes sense.

By the time you're hitting 4-5* maps you don't need to do that ridiculously small a jump anyways (unless you're me).
The true A
I've been doing the same thing since I started, just really slowly climb, im just now starting to be able to play 6 stars consistently and was even close to fcing a few, but that took me 4-5 months of playing 5 stars. each "star jump" takes longer from what I know, I started with 2 stars and in a few weeks I was playing 3 Stars, then after playing 3 stars for 1 month or so I started doing 4 stars, got really frustrated there cause it took me around 3 months to begin playing 5 stars and now im here, I just accepted it.
Manishh

AccountWontWork wrote:

Manishh wrote:

I seen some
haha...

No mf that's not you
AccountWontWork

Manishh wrote:

AccountWontWork wrote:

Manishh wrote:

I seen some
haha...

No mf that's not you
Yeah that person must be a dumbass.