forum

does rank matter as a mapper?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
_Xevi
I'm a 6 digit player (~180k as of writing this). I don't really play a lot. I'm much preferred to map than to play cause I just find it more fun.

Does rank matter though, or Is being good at (playing) the game matter as a mapper? or crucial even?
WitherMite
not really, many mappers are low rank, there are 6 digit BN's.

once you at least understand the mechanics of the game then you're good, most stuff is learned by mapping

imo being able to play insanes is enough.
aiq
rank doesn't matter as long as you got the fundamentals down

for example, oxalis, one of the more popular 8* maps was made by a 6-digit

another good example would be this guy, which is considered a very good tech mapper in the community
CentariDaKitteh
It depends on your like beatmap understanding (As in timing, patterns, ect.)

not the rank
Hinae
nope, you just need to understand the basics on how to make a decent map

there are successful 6-digit ranked mappers and bns, and i don't play that much myself as well

really minor, in fact it's just a small tip, but being able to testplay your map can help make it better and yourself as a mapper, because you can feel what the map lacks or some particular areas it needs to improve. u can ask other people to testplay it if you don't have the skill level to judge the map through gameplay, which is what i normally do.

so yeah, rank doesn't matter as a mapper
TheKingHenry

Aiq wrote:

for example, oxalis, one of the more popular 8* maps was made by a 6-digit
never heard of either the map or the mapper
I guess I'm living under a rock

anyhow, you've received your answer already from multiple people here more or less. I would like to add something from a bit different perspective though: while rank doesn't exactly matter as mapper, if you can demonstrate to have the gameplay skill (likely visible in your rank) to play your maps (particularly when it's about high difficulty maps), it does add a bit to your credibility with the map. For example if I see someone I don't know mapping a difficult map, I have bit more expectations of some aspects if the mapper is top player. At the very least, if you can play it yourself, you should know if it's unplayable or not, and so on

but not that skill translates to rank either - or vice versa - so pure rank is pretty whatever. But wanted to add my two cents here
Sophie Twilight
People judging a mapping skill/knowledge of a mapper by rank are just ignorant players.