forum

Large cursor vs Small

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Sturdy
I have tried both and it's very hard for my to tell which is "more accurate". I often find myself losing where a small cursor is on my screen vs always seeing the large one. Your thoughts?
VoidnOwO
Doesn't really matter which cursor you use (if any)?

TakuMii
I remember one of the top players saying that your cursor size can be anything that you're comfortable with, as long as it's not bigger than your hitcircles.
Story
It doesn't really matter it'just what you're used too.
Oinari-sama
Or uou can make your own to suit. Cursor is quite a personal thing afterall.

I made this to handle both "normal" maps and old maps (extremely small hitcircles):

Amefuri Koneko

YayMii wrote:

as long as it's not bigger than your hitcircles.
- L A U R A -
Big+Little bit transparent
And without cursor trail, they're confusing on faster maps.
My favorite color for cursors are white and light blue, you see them good when you have a black playground.
oh and CURSOR WITH EDGES FTW :D
Rio-
I kinda prefer Small Cursor than Large Cursor (about 40-50px)... and Comet-Type Cursor (Not like the Cursor in the Default skin, but the one that looks like A Circle with the Trail like A Comet Tail)
El Koko
play with whatever is more comfortable for you
buny
what about medium sized
boat
Size doesn't matter!
- L A U R A -

boat wrote:

Size doesn't matter!
Should I make you an special 1px cursor and let you play with it?
Maybe it won't be so confortable...
PS: I know there are player that play without cursor
buny

- L A U R A - wrote:

boat wrote:

Size doesn't matter!
Should I make you an special 1px cursor and let you play with it?
Maybe it won't be so confortable...
PS: I know there are player that play without cursor
...thanks for proving his point?
Zare
Seriously, whether you use a large or small cursor doesn't matter. Some might say smaller ones are more accurate, but that's just their imagination.
I'd say it's only graphical preference, it doesn't really change a thing about gameplay, as long as the cursor and the circles can be clearly detected ingame (i.e. cursor is visible but doesn't cover the circles entirely, but that doesn't happen on any maps newer than 2010 anyway)
- L A U R A -
You think so?
I wanted more to point out, that the cursor makes a diffrence. But you can get used to a type of cursor though...
What's your cursor size? Maybe you're used to a bigger cursor, then you will feel weird when playing with a smaller one.
When I started osu!, a friend gave me a skin with a really small cursor. For him, it may be a nice cursor, but since i tried out bigger ones I liked them more.
When size would'nt matter, I would play always the same, but this isn't so. For a person a cursor size may be important, but if you look around you'll see that everyone uses diffrent cursors. When this is the point of boats post, then i'll agree.
Zare

- L A U R A - wrote:

You think so?
I wanted more to point out, that the cursor makes a diffrence. But you can get used to a type of cursor though...
What's your cursor size? Maybe you're used to a bigger cursor, then you will feel weird when playing with a smaller one.
When I started osu!, a friend gave me a skin with a really small cursor. For him, it may be a nice cursor, but since i tried out bigger ones I liked them more.
When size would'nt matter, I would play always the same, but this isn't so. For a person a cursor size may be important, but if you look around you'll see that everyone uses diffrent cursors. When this is the point of boats post, then i'll agree.
You do play the same with other cursors
you just get irritated by the new fancy graphics and stop focusing
RaneFire
It also has to do with how you read while playing.

As my reading improved or "changed" I found cursors &/or trails that I swore never to change started getting in the way.
Zare

RaneFire wrote:

As my reading improved or "changed" I found cursors &/or trails that I swore never to change started getting in the way.
Do they really or are you just captivated by the thought that everything on the screen needs to be simplified as much as possible for best reading?
Because that's not the case. Backgrounds disturb reading because they blend with the circles and Hitbursts can cover new circles, but the cursortrail really doesn't do shit that would be harmful.
RaneFire

Zarerion wrote:

RaneFire wrote:

Do they really or are you just captivated by the thought that everything on the screen needs to be simplified as much as possible for best reading?
Because that's not the case. Backgrounds disturb reading because they blend with the circles and Hitbursts can cover new circles, but the cursortrail really doesn't do shit that would be harmful.
My skin is anything but simple. I was not referring to simple, it's just how I take notice of things.

I don't even know why you would accuse me of such things. I played with backgrounds on for 1 and a half years without ever turning them off. My songs folder is untampered with.
Kodora
I guess people should use smaller cursors instead of blaming CS 5 and smaller.

Smaller cursor helps to aim very much.
Tanzklaue
it's all personal preference, really.

cursor size does matter, but everyone needs (or wants/likes) a different cursor size.
Zare

Kodora wrote:

I guess people should use smaller cursors instead of blaming CS 5 and smaller.

Smaller cursor helps to aim very much.
How so...?
I mean I was under the very same impression
But then I used a larger circle because some random skin I dl'ed had it and I aimed just as well. this is seriously not related =/
Kodora

Zarerion wrote:

How so...?
Bigger cursor feels distracting (at least for me) - it makes to focus on it mostly instead of notes.

Smaller cursor takes less attention. Most of people dont like small circles just because they look at huge cursor moving instead of note appearance. If cursor completely overlaps CS6 notes then this cursor is very bad because it makes any CS5 map barely playable with hr. Also

My cursor, CS8 + hr:

Zare
Yeah, CS8 totally is the norm. Read my previous posts, I said something like "as long circles don't get covered completely"

Still, I've got a feeling that people just tend to believe this stuff about small cursors because it makes sense to them that everything on the screen has to be reduced to a minimum to achieve maximum readability, when IMO a cursor doesn't contribute to that at all.
Basically my impression is that you guys are overthinking this. You could probably get the same results with large cursors as with small ones, but since your logic tells you, you can't, without actually testing or proving it, you accept it as fact.
I request this not to be considered offensive.
iWhorse

Kodora wrote:

Zarerion wrote:

How so...?
Bigger cursor feels distracting (at least for me) - it makes to focus on it mostly instead of notes.
This is something you get used to over time.

Anyways, Cookiezi used a huge ass cursor that I don't like, and SG used a small ass cursor that I don't like. Niko's is good-sized for me.
They both have their own advantages and disadvantages, but it's really not that big of a deal.

Pretty sure I've shown you my cursor before, but
http://puu.sh/4vldv.jpg

RaneFire wrote:

I don't even know why you would accuse me of such things. I played with backgrounds on for 1 and a half years without ever turning them off. My songs folder is untampered with.
And I played months before i started turning them on at 60-80% darkness instead of darkening completely, it doesn't matter. Plenty of players who play with BGs on.
CXu
Of course your aiming isn't directly affected by your cursor size; the area that can hit a note is still the same size anyway. Still, having a smaller cursor can help anyway, since you'll most likely try to aim the smaller cursor within the hitcircle, even though you have some leeway, thus resulting in more precise aiming.

It is mostly preference though.

Ami Furi Koneko wrote:

YayMii wrote:

as long as it's not bigger than your hitcircles.
I didn't use the cursor shown in the video. I was just too lazy to change to the other cursor when I recorded this :P
Narunya
^ what cxu said, though i'd rather find a cursor that makes ur eyes feel good, a colour that blends good
and suddenly everything is #1
buny
i wish my cursor size changed depending on the circle size

please add peppy
Rinko
I like small cursor, so it won't block the circles when i play hidden+Hard rock.
Kodora

buny wrote:

i wish my cursor size changed depending on the circle size

please add peppy
i'd suggest just make default cursor 32x32
Dexus
Relevant:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2uraz4zslvbnev5/MqSfDXl44x [Dump folder has the most in it, it's all unsorted though]

You can download it all as a zip with the top right button. Total size 6MB roughly. Mix and match, find whatever you feel is comfortable.