forum

[invalid] Switch #lobby and #multiplayer

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +12
Topic Starter
Sea_Food
I really think that it would make sense if #multiplayer would be the place to talk with people who also want to play multiplayer mode possibly with you, and #lobby being the waiting room until the game starts. In real life lobby is the waiting room or hall that has the door to the main attraction, but currently its made like lobby would you be waiting outside wondering which building to enter. Also in most games lobby is the place where 2 or few more wait until the game starts.

Also even !faq multiplayer talks about lobby. Wouldnt it make more sense if !faq multiplayer talked about #multiplayer?

I know some people have the opinion that it makes more sense the way it is, but I dont, and I know alot of people who dont either. Thats why it should be changed.
RemiFlan
I think it makes sense that #multiplayer should be the main channel when looking for games, and that #lobby should be for when the game is found and you're in the match. Seems to work like that for other games I've played, I'm all for this switch of channels.
TheVileOne
It makes perfect sense the way it currently is. #lobby is less of a reference to multiplayer and would be a more obscure termination for a multiplayer room. This shouldn't change.
XPJ38
Am I the only one seeing osu! like this?

(blame Paint for bad drawing)

With this point of view, the way it is currently makes sense.
Oinari-sama

XPJ38 wrote:

lol you deserve a cookie for drawing that...
Aelya_old

XPJ38 wrote:

SPOILER

lol that drawing is amazing.
@topic, besides the other reasons, I think that this isn't a good enough reason to cause a mass WTF-effect when people see it changed (if this ever gets implemented). :p

In a somewhat related matter, though, I personally feel that there is something wrong with #lobby in the sense that it's most often just the "anarchy" channel... I feel sorry for the mods that actually try to enforce it being only for "advertising of osu! multiplayer games".
I'd guess that you'd be lucky to have even 10% of the channel messages be actually related to its intended purpose. Maybe #lobby shouldn't automatically show up for new players?
XPJ38

Aelya wrote:

Maybe #lobby shouldn't automatically show up for new players?
If #lobby didn't exist, these people would probably talk in #osu and create a huge mess... (and I mean, a messier mess than what #osu is currently)
Aelya_old
Yeah, that "messier mess" just happens in #lobby now.

To be honest, though, I personally enjoy #lobby's crazy randomness, and I'd rather have it be (almost) not moderated at all. :p but in terms of #lobby's actually intended purpose, imo it's pretty clear that it's not too efficient at it.
Stefan
Simply true @ XPJ38's drawing.. It's currently working fine as it is.
Flanster
Both channels are lobbies in a way but this is how I see it.
#lobby - waiting for a match in the lobby
#multiplayer - multiplaying

All makes sense and its perfect as is.
Even if some people agree to your suggestion, I highly doubt it will be applied.
deadbeat
i think XPJ38's picture is enough to deny this. feel free to post if you disagree
Topic Starter
Sea_Food
fucking please
deadbeat
we already decided the current names makes more sense. deal with it