forum

[invalid] remove #videogames (or allow video game discussion on #osu)

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +63
Topic Starter
Ohrami
Currently, almost every topic is allowed for discussion in #osu: Politics, religion, science, anime... But video games?

Deadbeat put it most simply and most eloquently: Nobody uses #videogames because it's dead, and it's dead because nobody uses it. Unfortunately, after the roughly two years the channel has existed, I have yet to see a solution to this problem. I have seen discussion in the channel on less than half the days I have been registered to osu!, while I see video game discussion (which is usually quickly stopped by the mods, if they are active at the time) on #osu quite often. I am often told to "take it to #videogames!" by such moderators as Blazevoir, dkun, deadbeat, and Lolicore Flandre. What I want to know is: Why? Why would I take it to a channel which rarely ever produces responses?

On most days, discussion on #videogames is effectively no different from talking to myself. I will concede that it is rather active some days, and enjoyable discussion can occur on it; however, these instances are rare, and usually crop up after somebody makes a fuss about video game discussion on #osu first. Further, even when it is "active", it is almost always only 2-5 people engaging in all of the discussion (and, quite hilariously when considering the history of the channel, it is almost always Touhou discussion).

Dkun claims that #videogames was voted into osu! by the community, and that the enforcement of the zero-tolerance video games policy is for the community's benefit. But is that really true? I challenged dkun to name a single non-moderator individual who is in favor of video game discussion being banned on #osu, which garnered no response from him. I would, in fact, claim that the opposite is true: If #videogames being removed from osu! allowed video game discussion on #osu, I think that the majority of osu! players would be in favor of it. However, that's why I've made this feature request; if I am wrong, it will be easily proven in the following responses, and I will concede this point.

I see little practical reason for the existence of #videogames at this point in osu!'s development. Some argue that #osu would be bombarded with League of Legends discussion had #videogames been removed; however, I would disagree because of two points: While LoL discussions do appear semi-frequently in #osu, even when moderators aren't around to stop it, they usually don't last very long; though, even when they do, the parties involved seem to enjoy themselves and there seems to be few arguments, so I see little problem with this result. Also, despite the existence of #videogames, like I stated before, there is rarely a discussion of any video game in that channel (including League of Legends), which means that the number of people attempting to discuss League of Legends on #osu will be almost no different than when #videogames existed.

#osu is almost always a jumbled mess of random and almost entirely disconnected discussion around a very wide range of subjects. Allowing one extra topic for discussion in the channel wouldn't change much, except for the number of people needlessly silenced because they wanted to have a calm and friendly discussion about something they enjoy.

If this feature request is summarily denied, then I have but one question: What is the intended focus of discussion in #osu?
silmarilen
ive said multiple times that the existence of #videogames doesnt make sense so i fully agree with this request.
Stefan
People are lazy to make two clicks at switching to #videogames, that's it. Or stubborn, you can choose.

Personally I don't mind if people start talking about Videogames in #osu - weirdly people in language channel sometimes also nagging about the people who talks about LoL - and at all it's true: These conversations doesn't hold for long. At least I would wish that people would be smarter to use #videogames instead of #osu because it's still not wished to talk there about Videogames - which is pure irony if we think about with what osu! has started.
bomber34
#videogames was quite active when Mario Kart 7 had its kartparties from the osu! community ... and then it went over to skype

#videogames was also a channel for the non-existing other osu! mode channels like ctb or taiko, because the ctb / Taiko community got not disturbed lol but they have their own channels now

That was 1 or 2 years ago
------------------------------------------

I support this request :3
Videogame specific conversations about a game does not hold for very long
maybe topics like "are DLC a good system?" last a bit longer but overalll .... they never last long
tsundoll
If I could vote for this I would. Honestly, moderation of nearly dead channels is taken /way/ too strictly.
dkun

Kyou-kun wrote:

Dkun claims that #videogames was voted into osu! by the community, and that the enforcement of the zero-tolerance video games policy is for the community's benefit. But is that really true? I challenged dkun to name a single non-moderator individual who is in favor of video game discussion being banned on #osu, which garnered no response from him. I would, in fact, claim that the opposite is true: If #videogames being removed from osu! allowed video game discussion on #osu, I think that the majority of osu! players would be in favor of it. However, that's why I've made this feature request; if I am wrong, it will be easily proven in the following responses, and I will concede this point.
The community requested #videogames and it was taken from #touhou. (in a feature request as well! see where i'm getting at?) The current policy was from moderation before my time, which has been given down to me as a mandate for the team to enforce.

As a normal user, I think #videogames is useless and the main channel should be used for this, yes. (happy, kyou?)

ps: thanks for finally doing what I asked.
deadbeat

Kyou-kun wrote:

deadbeat put it most simply and most eloquently: Nobody uses #videogames because it's dead, and it's dead because nobody uses it.
it's dead because of that line of thought >_>
Wishy
Nah leave it there, small channels are the best #osu is shit too many mods there watching you.
Shohei Ohtani
Too many mods restricting my God-Given right to be an ass in a public channel because I think I'm funny

Maybe people should actually use it for once. It's kind of like #english. It would be more useful if people weren't so stubborn about "but i wan 2 tlk but videjagamez her pls ur so unfeir so nofredum"
Topic Starter
Ohrami

CDFA wrote:

Too many mods restricting my God-Given right to be an ass in a public channel because I think I'm funny

Maybe people should actually use it for once. It's kind of like #english. It would be more useful if people weren't so stubborn about "but i wan 2 tlk but videjagamez her pls ur so unfeir so nofredum"
#english would be like #videogames if English was no longer allowed in #osu because of its addition.
Metal
i wish i could vote this but cheesiest made me use all my votes. soz.

good request
RinKagamine
I want to vote this why is it saying i have no votes i don't even use the forum that much wtf give me votes pls.
TheVileOne
And when there is a large discussion related to videogames, where would we send those people? Even if discussions are not created in #videogames, people interested in discussing such a topic in #osu can go to #videogames to discuss. IMO #videogames should be used for discussions that interfere with the general topic in #osu. On the other side the intelligence level of #osu discussions is usually low. Any structured conversation in #osu should be preferred over how it usually is.
UnderminE
Noone wants to use #videogames just for a discussion like "man i liked this feature in that game" "indeed, once i died while going to xx" "haha unoob" *end of discussion*

Not sure about deep conversations, that's rare tho.
jesse1412

TheVileOne wrote:

And when there is a large discussion related to videogames, where would we send those people? Even if discussions are not created in #videogames, people interested in discussing such a topic in #osu can go to #videogames to discuss. IMO #videogames should be used for discussions that interfere with the general topic in #osu. On the other side the intelligence level of #osu discussions is usually low. Any structured conversation in #osu should be preferred over how it usually is.
The general #osu topic is autistic people role playing. Video game discussion is at least a little less autistic. It'd be great if #videogames was replaced with #leagueoflegends and video games could be discussed in #osu. League of legends is where all the most down syndrome of discussion comes from and as such should be isolated into it's own area.

I sound like Hitler.
Shiro
I actually agree with this. #videogames has become completely useless over the years because people just don't know it exists. Video game discussion is perfectly valid in #osu, yet the rules ask people to switch over to #videogames. I'm fine with removing that channel and allowing videogame discussion in both #osu and #english.
chox_old
how about removing #osu channel while we're at it, new player starts playing and he finds out about this channel and what he sees is circle jerk of trolls talking about weird stuff, shouldn't #osu be place where you can have serious questions and answers about gameplay and other stuff instead of what it is now?
Stefan

chox wrote:

how about removing #osu channel while we're at it, new player starts playing and he finds out about this channel and what he sees is bunch of trolls talking about weird stuff, shouldn't #osu be place where you can have serious questions and answers about gameplay and other stuff instead of what it is now?
You're new, right? Remove all channels except #help and #modhelp/reqs then, ty.
chox_old

Stefan wrote:

chox wrote:

how about removing #osu channel while we're at it, new player starts playing and he finds out about this channel and what he sees is bunch of trolls talking about weird stuff, shouldn't #osu be place where you can have serious questions and answers about gameplay and other stuff instead of what it is now?
You're new, right? Remove all channels except #help and #modhelp/reqs then, ty.
new? i was just generally talking how it looks from new player perspective
it's just a shame to see such unmoderated cesspit being default channel of osu, people write there such stuff that it's almost like facebook or other utter sh*t
it should be replaced with something better than that.
deadbeat
this is a discussion for #videogames, not #osu, please stay on topic
Stefan

chox wrote:

new? it's just a shame to see such unmoderated cesspit being default channel of osu, people write there such stuff that it's almost like facebook or other utter sh*t
it should be replaced with something better than that.
Tell me, how often are you looking into this channel? Yes, they are sometimes weird moments where new players can be scared or dissipated by the attitude or the topics of the people there but you also can say that about the language channels. This channel is about to help people with questions - and they are more as enough people who're giving serious answers to the questions. It brings nothing to remove #osu because otherwise another channel will then change like #osu.

Anyway, sorry that I went off-topic but it should be clear that #osu is - and will be always - the main channel. Nothing on this will change.
GenoClysm
Voted. Absolutely. Countless times have I and others been discussing videogames in #osu, as it is the nature of the internet and, well, this video game, and being yelled at by a moderator
#Videogames is most certainly dead, and even though it's because other people think it's dead, that doesn't change the fact that it is, in fact dead. Having a pointless channel that nobody uses and being yelled at for talking about video games in #osu and told to go to that pointless channel makes no sense. There is plenty of other discussion in #osu, so it baffles me why being yelled at for discussion of a topic often much more popular than most of the other aimless discussion in #osu is just.

tl;dr nobody uses #videogames but everyone talks about them so just quit the crap and make everything more convinient
Marcin
Ok, I've been trying to keep this message as short as possible:

As long as LoL discussion won't exist, I'm wholeheartedly agreeing with this request.
deadbeat
i don't. there's already a channel for videogames, just use it. not that hard. i've been watching people talking in there already, so don't give me that it's dead nonsense
Topic Starter
Ohrami

deadbeat wrote:

i don't. there's already a channel for videogames, just use it. not that hard. i've been watching people talking in there already, so don't give me that it's dead nonsense

Totally not dead!
Marcin
Totally not
http://osu.corin.me/logs/#
Set videogames
Set date before 28.08 (missing logs)
??? Enjoy reading others discussion about VIDEOGAMES.
Ephemeral
what i'd like to make to clear is a little unspoken policy that moderators should be following - i call it "concurrency"

#osu is considered as a general discussion area, which means you can pretty much talk about anything in it. however, when those discussions get large and involved alongside other unrelated conversations at the same time, the larger conversation should withdraw to a more topically relevant channel - in this case, #videogames

moderators should not be asking people to move to channels when nothing else is being discussed in #osu - though if there are multiple concurrent conversations happening with marginally different topics, then they should be asking people to move.

the level of semantics applied to these discussions about channel-topic relevancy is staggering. it really is. common sense will guide you home in most cases - want to talk in depth about videogames? go to #videogames. want to talk in depth about #osu stuff? go to #osu. want to talk about random shit in your home language, or osu in your home language? go to #<language>. consider #osu as like a lobby chat or something.

denying request
RinKagamine
So the dead and pointless channel is staying?
wut
i don't even.
unko