forum

Mapping a 6/8 or Unusual Timing Signature song

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Starrodkirby86
osu! only has two timing signatures for its metronome, 3/4 and 4/4. This can make songs that are 6/8 or other timing signatures not of the two aforementioned act really odd.

If I recalled correctly in piano (And of this source as well), Klaus Badelt - He's a Pirate is a song on 6/8 timing signature. kingcobra corrected this by adding timing sections at various points of the song. (Every 4 6/8 timing sections)

Is this the only way to do something like this, or is there a much easier way without killing the metronome...?
Mogsy
6/8 is 2/4 with triplets. (You can use 4/4 to time 2/4 songs without killing the metronome)

9/8 is 3/4 with triplets.

12/8 is 4/4 with triplets.

Essentially, you can still have the same metronome for songs in those time signatures, you just snap everything to 1/3 or 1/6 unless you have weird rhythms.

As for more complex time signatures, I'm not sure, I'll experiment with it a bit when I get back from my trip.
Topic Starter
Starrodkirby86
So does that mean I have to change the BPM, if the 'supposed triplets' are right now 1/2 notes?

Thanks Mogs for the quick response, I'm not surprised of a knowledgeable answer like that coming from you :3.
Mogsy

Starrodkirby86 wrote:

So does that mean I have to change the BPM, if the 'supposed triplets' are right now 1/2 notes?
If the triplets are eighths, that's pretty disgusting (sorry for saying that, but it is xD). Change the BPM. D: Each group of triplets is equivalent to a quarter note, so keep that in mind when retiming.

Also, not a problem, glad to be able to help.