forum

Star Rating should be split in two.

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +8
Topic Starter
Underscorebaka
Hello!
As of the time of writing (12/12/2021) the star rating has been split in two in a format like this:

Star Rating : X (Y local)

X = New System
Y = Old System

This is due to the fact that the new star rating system is calculated externally, so Y is simply used to categorise maps. I believe we could use this opportunity to split osu!'s star rating system in two due to the differences in the way people use it; this is highlighted by the fact that our old system is far more reliable as a "pass difficulty", due to people's perceptions of star rating at that time being as a passing metric, and our new system is far better as an "fc difficulty" metric, for the same reason. This is substantiated in Aspire maps for example. I believe that this would allow us to use the old system for pass medals and the new system for fc medals as that'd just be really neat.

Sorry if any of the English here is rough; it's somewhat late at night.
THAT_otaku
Hm while I kinda sorta agree with those generalizations for the star ratings, I still feel like that's pretty subjective and would be up for a lot of discussion. I personally feel like the more they tweak and update it the closer its getting to both pass and fc being accurate in one value (like averaging them out). If you had a system where there was a star rating for pass and star rating for fc both of them would have to be reworked heavily for it to make sense. I also feel like it kind of defeats the purpose of having the Star Rating and overcomplicates things (In My Opinion)
Topic Starter
Underscorebaka
I disagree regarding averaging them as then aspire maps will still have a ridiculous star rating despite being passable, but for the rest yeah I agree; but I believe the end result would be worth it as we'd have two clean systems; not one system which is constantly misused (fc/pass has always been confused by people and changed between star rating constantly) or the one and a half systems we have now.