forum

Level Importance

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +61
show more
Shohei Ohtani

warwolfz wrote:

Stays like this now is the best option dont make peppy doing useless update, deleting level? people wont be proovocated to play
giving free supporter? dafuq buy with your money ;)
Wat.

Anyways, it'd be nice if there could be something with level

Every time people say "xxx isn't important!", I'm just like "Why have it, then?"

So like it'd be better if something could come up from it. Maybe certain achievements for hitting certain levels? Or like a miniscule prize or something.

2 day supporter is like what like why even
Aoko
I agree with this. Well, except for the lv.50 Taiko thing, but yeah. It was an example.
Based from the ideas of the previous posts, I also agree that when you hit certain levels, it's a good time to get an achievement.
Level achievements, to be precise. But ofc the problem lies on who does the design. Anyone up for it?
Oinari-sama
I actually think that "2 day supporter" is a cute idea, it just needs to be executed differently.

Peppy gave out free osu direct during Christmas last year and I think that was a brilliant way to show people what supporters are getting all the time. I wonder how many people took up supporter tag after that (I guess only peppy/staff will know).

The "2 day supporter" price should come a lot earlier, but not too early in order to give players time to get used to how osu "normally" works. They will get more appreciation of the supporter features when they unlock it at, say, Level 50. imo the gift should hit between Level 30-50 for max benefit.

For Level as high as 100 I think an achievement medal is more suitable (eg "Rhythm Incarnate")...
Ephemeral
the supporter trial thing is not a terrible idea, tbh.
TheVileOne
If this were implemented I can imagine that the user would be notified when a particular level is reached.

Eph indirectly pointed out a concern that I have with this idea. I don't like the thought of taking abilities away from the player until they play enough of a gamemode. The supporter idea is good, but the rest of the ideas are plain bad and there needs to be more than one thing to unlock. What should be unlocked that isn't an existing gameplay mechanic?
Jacqli
How about:
- Level XX: Unlocked Normal diff on a song
- Level YY : Unlocked Hard diff
- Level ZZ : Unlocked Insane diff
- Level 100 : Unlocked Approved map diff

Why?
It's to evade multi accounting. So if there's someone who tried to multi Accounting it'll be useless, since they only could play easy diff.

But...
I don't know how to use this feature while multiplaying.
Marcin
The problem with unlocking diffs would be - how to determine how hard is a diff? This cannot be done through checking name (what about custom names?), and star difficulty makes for ex. https://osu.ppy.sh/b/134302 normal as Inasne.
CXu
lvl 100 free lifetime supporter because we've supported osu! by playing so much yeeeeh.

On another note though, level achievements would be okay (basically the same as combo and playcount achievements), with a free supporter thing for x days at lvl 50 and/or 75 or smth.
Tshemmp
No unlocking diffs please. Why would you have to farm easy maps to get enough score if you want to play hard maps? Makes no sense and would be frustrating. But this supporter trial thing sounds nice indeed.
markesudes
I think it's not a good idea except maybe for the "Support for 2 days" on level XX.
Maybe an achievement for level 10/20/50/100, is a bit better.
Oinari-sama
I agree that Game Mode/Difficulty should not be tied to Level. It'll make more sense to treat Levels as a milestone achievements (eg playcount like CXu pointed out).

Someone can come up with new medal names at each milestones (+extra reward aka "2 days supporter" @Lv50). If that's too troublesome, I reckon the existing forum titles (excl. special titles) are "rhythm enough" to be used as medal names, with Rhythm Incarnate being Lv100 and beyond. I forgot how many forum titles are there and what they're called so someone else will have to fill in that info =.=
TouchFluffyTail
As much as I love watching my EXP bar pointlessly go up (I really do, I'm a whore for number progression) I can safely say that tying unlocking things to level ups would be the worst thing ever. Just look at any other game to realize this. (Oh boy I sure do love having to play 400 times to unlock 7k mode and 500 times to unlock 8k mode in DJMax Trilogy!)

I don't think achievements would make much sense either, I mean your level is already shown pretty prominently on your stats. It's not like your playcount or your highest combo.

Gaining supporter for × amount of days could be cool, since I think one of the best ways to get someone wanting supporter is to give them a live demo. (see: osu anniversary when everyone got access to direct for a day) The problem though is how arbitrary leveling is until you get into the mid/upper 90s. And generally by the time you're level 100 you're either already a supporter, have been a supporter, or are completely uninterested in becoming one.

Really though I'm totally fine with just leaving levels exactly as they are. :o
[Kanzaki Ranko]
Permanent supporter for lvl 105+.
*shot*

Edit:
Totally against forum titles becoming level-based, btw. (or, if you meant forum titles and level-based achievements being different things, ignore this)
Abel

Maav wrote:

*shot*
Osu! standard only
on CTB would be too easy and O!mania and Taiko would take like.... ever
[Kanzaki Ranko]

Abel wrote:

Maav wrote:

*shot*
Osu! standard only
on CTB would be too easy and O!mania and Taiko would take like.... ever
Even on CTB the highest level player is 103, if I'm not mistaken. I'd guess that you need around 600 billion total score to get to 105...

Edit:
Changing the Score tables for Taiko and O!M should be a thing, though.
silmarilen
lvl up already gives stat points which make you better, after lvl 100 you even get special stat points which give you a huge boost, which is why you need 100bil exp for them
[Kanzaki Ranko]

silmarilen wrote:

lvl up already gives stat points which make you better, after lvl 100 you even get special stat points which give you a huge boost, which is why you need 100bil exp for them
brb farming 91bil score
Jacqli
osu!mania level 105!!!!
5 years.. ummm.. 5 years...
Oinari-sama

Maav wrote:

*shot*

Edit:
Totally against forum titles becoming level-based, btw. (or, if you meant forum titles and level-based achievements being different things, ignore this)
They're different things. Forum titles are forum titles. I was proposing creating a new set of milestone achievement medals using those names.

Oinari-sama wrote:

Someone can come up with new medal names at each milestones (+extra reward aka "2 days supporter" @Lv50). If that's too troublesome, I reckon the existing forum titles (excl. special titles) are "rhythm enough" to be used as medal names, with Rhythm Incarnate being Lv100 and beyond.
[Kanzaki Ranko]

Oinari-sama wrote:

Maav wrote:

*shot*

Edit:
They're different things. Forum titles are forum titles. I was proposing creating a new set of milestone achievement medals using those names.

Oinari-sama wrote:

Someone can come up with new medal names at each milestones (+extra reward aka "2 days supporter" @Lv50). If that's too troublesome, I reckon the existing forum titles (excl. special titles) are "rhythm enough" to be used as medal names, with Rhythm Incarnate being Lv100 and beyond.
*sobs*
Sorry for the misinterpretation ;A;
It's a good idea, then.
NatSumE_KuN
..this is a good idea..in order for the new users to have a goal..for example..a one week osu supporter tag..for those who reached lvl. 100..so they can experience having a supporter tag and encourage them to buy supporter tags .. :)
VoidnOwO
:oops:
Abel

BRBP wrote:

Oinari-sama wrote:

Peppy gave out free osu direct during Christmas last year and I think that was a brilliant way to show people what supporters are getting all the time.
Me and a friend of mine have been buying supporter since that, It must've "worked" on other people too.

Level 100 for two days of supporter seems a bit odd though, 50 and/or 75 makes a lot more sense.
You must work hard to get it, also, only 2 days... D':
and what happends with people that already are lvl100, and 101, and 102, and 103 D:
(2 weeks pls)
TheVileOne
Perfection
Why remove levels :c
Darcyys
i think that anything like this should be add:

Lvl 20: Hard unlocked and maybe a mod
Lvl 50: insane unlocked and some approved maps

advantages:
Less multi accounts: i think that a multi-account user start playing insane maps in lvl 1, but if those players have to be lvl 50 for unlock insane maps, i guess that for a multi-account player is too annoying, since they need to do like 400,000,000 of total score in normal and hard maps to be lvl 50. i think this will decrease the multi-account users a little.

No more hacks: nobody will use a hack for ranking 1 in normal maps, it's too stupid

yes, my english sucks.
Stefan

Ephemeral wrote:

the supporter trial thing is not a terrible idea, tbh.
Yeap.

About the concept to unlock things at xyz Level: As long they are somehow senseful I am in for it.

Shinxyn wrote:

By level ~30 Editor should be allow (I don't like seeing completely random submitted maps by players who just started...)
That sounds imo fantastic - while things like unlocking Mods or even Modes (sorry but what) are bad and really shouldn't be implemented into osu!. Of course it should not depend which mode you're reaching the required Level.

Another thing I found at the Thread four years ago:

adam2046 wrote:

It would be nice however for levels to maybe do something cosmetic.
This could be a good way to make the Level-Up System more senseful. I'd say as example "Lv 75 ~ you're able to put a custom Menu Background" - like we have it currently only for Supporter. But I think things like that would be more worth to add as unlockable Feature instead as Supporter Feature.

And please stop to suggest Difficulties to unlock. That idea is just the biggest trash you could add into osu!. And they are so many good reasons why this won't work in any way good.
Zare

Stefan wrote:

Shinxyn wrote:

By level ~30 Editor should be allow (I don't like seeing completely random submitted maps by players who just started...)
That sounds imo fantastic - while things like unlocking Mods or even Modes (sorry but what) are bad and really shouldn't be implemented into osu!. Of course it should not depend which mode you're reaching the required Level.
oh HELL no. Everyone should be allowed to map, no matter how long he's been playing. That's the cool thing about osu!, don't take this from players.
Also consider that edit mode is also needed for modding, testing and checking stuff. I remember going into edit mode a few times to understand stuff I couldn't read back then.
Stefan

Zarerion wrote:

Also consider that edit mode is also needed for modding, testing and checking stuff.
With due respect someone with Level 15 is hardly possible to give a good judgement about a Insane Map as example. I see what's your point here but I think we can implement that but reducing the Level since 30 is maybe too high. I'd say 15 ~ 20 should be absolutely fine.

Anyway, I am not saying that new Modders are unwished but this point is also not about anything in the modding area. And I am really sorry but I support Shinxyn's Quote to 100% here:

Shinxyn wrote:

(I don't like seeing completely random submitted maps by players who just started...)
boat

Stefan wrote:

I'd say 15 ~ 20 should be absolutely fine.
Uh no. This is stupid. Both the editor and all game modes should be available at all times.
Zare

Stefan wrote:

Zarerion wrote:

Also consider that edit mode is also needed for modding, testing and checking stuff.
With due respect someone with Level 15 is hardly possible to give a good judgement about a Insane Map as example. I see what's your point here but I think we can implement that but reducing the Level since 30 is maybe too high. I'd say 15 ~ 20 should be absolutely fine.

Anyway, I am not saying that new Modders are unwished but this point is also not about anything in the modding area. And I am really sorry but I support Shinxyn's Quote to 100% here:

Shinxyn wrote:

(I don't like seeing completely random submitted maps by players who just started...)
what the fuck
i honestly don't know what to answer
what the fuck

do random bad newb maps hurt you? why do you want to take the possibility to experiment a bit and have fun? Just saying " Level MUST have a significant reason and that'd why we're locking away a feature that should be availabe for anyone until you reach a certain level".
osu! is ADVERTISING by saying "Here you can play every song you want and if it's not available you can make it yourself!" what's the point of limiting this?
Stefan
I said that I support the opinion, nothing else, jesus.

oh well, it you all have to take this serious as poop then I am out.
Anyway I find it quite funny how you are thinking that people are going immediately into the Editor instead of learning the game. It's quite amusing, well no support since people are not open for ideas.

To your question: Let's say a Level 5 comes and says "Hey, let's try something". He is going to upload one-two Beatmaps and then he suddenly stops playing after a month or so. And the Servers get flooded by that, everyday. Or: Someone is looking for a Beatmap to a Song he likes. And he is finding uncomplete, badly timed or whatever Maps. Stuff like that could be reduced but nvm, care about Freedom and be against about some new concepts and ideas in the game. I mean it is not like osu! needs sometimes something new.
TheVileOne
What about restricting submitting via BSS until you're a certain level? This would reduce the amount of bad maps submitted while still allowing mappers to make beatmaps.
Aoko
^idk about that one but I also disagree to unlocking diffs. at a certain level.
There are players who play Hard diffs. even on their first time too pro
darkraimac
What about if you add a premium trial or something for one day at about level 30 and one or two days( couldn't decide) at level 50.
For the rest of the unlocks have medals or actually add new mods for the game. I think that would be better than taking away anything.
DingGGu
yeah, many rhythm games are including level systems.
but, osu doesn't need level.

how about use leveling system?

this is good idea.
Zare
you know, i think we need a different mindset for this

instead of LOCKING already EXISTING stuff, that's supposed to be usable for everyone, until a certain level is reached, we should think of NEW features that can be UNLOCKED by reaching certain levels.
Editor? BSS? Modes? Mods? This is all stuff every player should have access too because that's kinda the way it was supposed to be.
Don't take stuff away, but give new stuff.
Tanzklaue

Zarerion wrote:

instead of LOCKING already EXISTING stuff, that's supposed to be usable for everyone, until a certain level is reached, we should think of NEW features that can be UNLOCKED by reaching certain levels.
Editor? BSS? Modes? Mods? This is all stuff every player should have access too because that's kinda the way it was supposed to be.
if you do something with the level system, then this.
please, unlocking mods, editor etc is like the worst thing you could do. it takes away from the experience for newer players. I couldn't care less for multi accounts (I find it hilarious that peppy focusses more o them than actual hackers), so there really isn't a reason to lock away stuff.
deadbeat

Zarerion wrote:

wow man, calm down. nothing is finalized. the idea of taking away the editor until you reach a certain level. it's to encourage people to get a good feel for gameplay before making maps, which i see as a good thing.

i'm kinda neutral about unlocking the other modes. wouldn't be fair for people who just want to play, say, taiko.
having the difficulty increasing mods locked, kinda neutral atm
Wishy
What the hell is this thread.

Best idea regarding level: remove it, it's useless.
show more