forum

Language preference for Multi Rooms

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Shohei Ohtani
So I decided to start playing multiplayer when I'm bored and don't feel like doing much

I've ran into an issue, though, where I'll enter a room, and the room is speaking 3 different languages at the same time. It's really hard to communicate when people are speaking in multiple languages. Many also only have a basic understanding of english, so it wouldn't be helpful to force English

So it could be possible to set a language preference for rooms. People, when looking for rooms to join, can see that the said creator has set a preference to Spanish. It won't restrict players from entering, but people who enter will be aware that the room is full of Spanish speakers.

Base language setting can be determined by the creator's area (ie. If someone is from Finland, the default language preference would be Finnish), but can be changed at any time by whomever is the host of the room.

People would also be able to search for rooms with their language preference.

Moe :3.
XinCrin
Maybe it's a pretty good idea or maybe not . I don't know D:

Supporting this !
Oinari-sama

CDFA wrote:

So I decided to start playing multiplayer when I'm bored
Welcome to the dark side 8-)

Yes it's common to have multiple languages spoken in the mp room. The room title itself is usually a hint of what language you're expecting to see, however the scenario you described also happen in a "normal" room regularly. All you need is 2 players who speaks the same language starting a conversation and it'll be hard to get them to chat to you in English again.

I'm totally fine with that, but someone else might not like it so I can see the usefulness in your idea. The hard part is the execution imo. Need to think about what to do with the following for example:

1. How is the MP language preference specified? Default = Client Language with selectables?
  2. How is the MP Room language pref specified?
  3. If the MP Room pref follows the Host's default, what happens when the host leaves?
Another thing to consider is whether this "preference system" will create frictions amongst the players. I haven't come across any problems with foreign language spoken in a English room before (maybe I'm just lucky); will the implementation of the Preference break this "harmony?" (ie segregation)

Just throwing some questions here to be discussed...