forum

[o!m4k] 4 Digit MWC 4! 1k-10k (4k rank) [CONCLUDED]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DannyPX

Hello All and Welcome to the 4th Iteration of the 4 Digit Mania World Cup!

If you have participated in the previous year’s tournament then please make sure to read the entirety of this forum post as some things have changed from last year!

Registration Phase - 20th of November/11th of December(2021)
Screening Phase - 12th of December (2021)/1st of January
Team Captains Selected/Announced - 18th of December (2021)
Teams Selected/Announced + Qualifiers Showcase - 2nd of January
Qualifiers - 8th/9th of January
Round of 32 - 15th/16th of January
Round of 16 - 22nd/23rd of January
Quarterfinals - 29th/30th of January
Semifinals - 5th/6th of February
Finals Week 1 - 12th/13th of February
Finals Week 2 - 19th/20th of February

Please read the eligibility criteria directly below for clarification for how to register for 4DM4.

In order to be eligible for this tournament you must meet these requirements:

1. You must be within the osu!mania 4 key rank range of #1,000-9,999 both when you submit your registration form and at the start of screening
  2. You must not exceed the global osu!mania rank of #250.
  3. Have not been in a top 3 placing team in 4DM
  4. Have not been in a country team that reached Semi-Finals of MWC 2020 or MWC 2021
  5. Complete the Registration Form
  6. Join the official Discord Server for 4DM4
There is also a skillban restriction which are exclusive of the restriction rules stated above while separating a minority of signees for possessing skill levels way higher than the 4 digit playerbase this tournament caters to.
Us hosts believe such an action is warranted on our end in the name of easing less proficient players into the osu!mania competitive scene, and the minority of players who are capable enough of performing well even in no-limit tournaments may only deter the average player in 4 Digit MWC from exploring their potential throughout this tournament. The list of players affected by both the blanket-ban and skillban are available in the spreadsheet that can be viewed below.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13AVMsQjKQujgFUlvjMd4tumj5bXgO0zqnYFHa8TCNJk/edit#gid=0

Both the registration form and Discord Server invite are posted under the Links section above

Team Formation

4DM4 will mimic the format of the official osu!mania 4k World Cups.

The country whose team you will play for is determined by the country whose flag is represented on your osu! profile.
  1. A team captain will be picked by the hosts from each country's signup list based on a number of aspects, this decision is discrete and final.
  2. This team captain will pick the members to play alongside them on their country's team. Team captains have full control over how they would like to pick their country's team, this can include holding tryouts, interviews, or just simply picking from the list of signups with no other input.
  3. Teams will consist of a minimum of 3 members, and a maximum of 6 members per team.

Qualifiers

After teams are selected, the first weekend of tournament play will be the Qualifier Stage in order to cut down to a pre-decided number of teams to advance into the following stage, as well as to determine each team's "seed" (More about team "seeds" will be discussed later). There will be a total of five different qualifier maps, each meant to test a different skillset found in map pools throughout the tournament. The qualifier maps will follow this structure:
  1. Stage 1: SV
  2. Stage 2: Consistency
  3. Stage 3: LN
  4. Stage 4: Jumpstream/Speed
  5. Stage 5: Tech/Hybrid
For the Qualifier Stage, each team will play these five maps in a scheduled lobby. Teams will present three players to play each map (switching which three play between maps is allowed), and will play each of the five qualifier maps up to two times in the lobby. Whichever team score was the highest per stage will be recorded. (For example, if a team scores 975000, 975000, 980000 on one round and then 980000, 985000, 970000 on the next round, the 2nd round will be the one recorded because the total team score was higher on the second round.)

Teams will be ranked based on the “score rating” of their qualifier performances, meaning that each teams' performance on each of the five qualifier maps will be ranked compared to every other team and the ranks that each team achieves on these five maps will then be added up. The teams will then be sorted based on their "score rating" from lowest to highest, with lower score ratings being ranked better than higher score ratings. Essentially, a team's qualifier performance is ranked based on how well they perform compared to every other participating team.

The results of the Qualifier Stage will also be used to determine the “seed” of each team.

Match Play

After Qualifiers are over and every team has either gotten a seed or not qualified, the bracket will then begin. 4DM4 will use a standard Double Elimination bracket where the top seeded team will face the bottom seeded team, second highest will face second lowest, so on and so forth. Each team must lose two different matches to be eliminated from the tournament, this means that every team will get the chance to at least play two separate pools.

Matches will be played with the following rules:

1. Team captains will be notified of their match via ping on discord by the referee of their match 30 minutes before the match is scheduled to commence. At this time, team captains shall give the link of one map they wish to play as warmup to the referee of their match. This map must be an osu!mania 4k map and must be no longer than 5 minutes. Referees may refuse a teams warmup and demand another one from the team captain if the map does not meet these guidelines or is found to be offensive. Failure to provide a warmup to the referee at this time may result in this team skipping their warmup map.
  2. Team captains will be invited to their match lobby by a referee no less than 5 minutes before the match is scheduled to commence. In the time before the match, team captains will invite and gather their teams into the lobby.
  3. When both team members have 3 members present in the lobby, the match will commence by each team playing their selected warmup map.
  4. After warmups, both team captains will !roll in the lobby chat. The captain with the lower of the two rolls will choose a map in the freemod pool to ban from play, then the captain with the higher roll will choose a map in the freemod pool to ban from play, as well as their first pick to play from the freemod pool.
  5. Teams will have 2 minutes to pick a beatmap and 2 minutes to get ready.
  6. Each team will receive one "tactical timeout" of two minutes, to be used as extra time to pick or ban a beatmap. The tactical timeout may only be used by the team who has to pick and can also be used when getting ready.
  7. If a tiebreaker gets played, both teams may use their tactical timeout, but only one timeout can be given.
  8. After each map concludes, the team with the highest team score on the map will be awarded one point.
    Picks will alternate between team captains until a winner is decided by being the first to get the required amount of points to win that round.
  9. If both teams tie at match point, the tiebreaker map will be played, the team who wins the tiebreaker map will win the match.

Additional Rules

NOTE: We will attempt to closely follow the rules of the most recent 4k osu!mania World Cup whose wiki page is hyperlinked here if you would like to read it.

The tournament hosts are responsible for scheduling all matches and informing players of when they are scheduled to play. If a team is unhappy with when they are scheduled by the hosts to play, they have the option to reschedule their match as late as the end of Thursday of the week before the weekend of their match. Instructions on how to do so will be provided in the discord server.

Please note that while the organizers will try to schedule all matches for the best possible time for both teams, timezone conflicts may make some matches be forced to occur in the early mornings or late nights.
  1. If no referee is available to referee a match, the match shall be delayed.
  2. If no streamers are available to broadcast the match, the match will still happen without being broadcasted.
  3. If no commentators are available to commentate the match but broadcasters are available to broadcast the match, the match will still be broadcasted but without commentary.
Please note that while we will try to broadcast every match, we may be unable to due to overlapping matches and/or lack of streamer availability. Rescheduled matches will be prioritized under non-rescheduled matches in terms of being broadcasted.

Each respective stage of the tournament is to be completed in a single weekend, using the same map pool for the entire weekend. Weekday matches are allowed if both team captains agree to them and they take place before the weekend of that scheduled stage. As aforementioned, map pools will be released roughly a week before the stage they are to be played on. The latest a map in a released map pool may be slightly updated (for example, as to fixing a notable timing or snapping issue) is by 23:59UTC of the Monday after the map pool is released.

Tournament hosts have the right to revoke any signed player’s eligibility to participate in the tournament due to an obvious excess of skill compared to the tournament’s target demographic, or due to blacklist-worthy community offenses that may not see them screened out of the tournament in the Screening Phase.
Please note that tournament hosts will only enact restrictions of this caliber in the most extreme of scenarios for reasons seen as precautionary protection of the tournament’s fairness to its players, as the hosts acknowledge that the reasons for doing this are inherently very subjective and broad.

Repeated and excessive toxic behavior toward any staff member, player, or spectator either in match multiplayer chatroom, the official discord server, or the official twitch channel chatroom is strictly prohibited and will lead to, in successive order with host’s discretion to skip certain steps:
  1. Casual, undocumented warning
  2. Formal, documented warning
  3. Timeout of player wherever necessary for a subjective amount of time (Players on timeout during tournament match will be disallowed to play during their match and must be swapped out for other players)
  4. Official ban from the tournament as well as a ban from the official discord server and twitch channel
If one player on a team has their account restricted while still participating in the tournament for reasons of believed cheating, multiaccounting, or anything else, this player's entire team shall be disqualified from the tournament with no exceptions. Depending on the case, the team most recently defeated in a match by the newly disqualified team may be allowed to advance in this disqualified team's place. If this happens, the result of this former match will be voided.

1st Place Team:

$35 per member
+ Profile Badge (pending)

2nd Place Team:

$20 per member

3rd Place Team:

$10 per member

4th-8th Place Team:

One Month Supporter per member

To submit a formal complaint to the official Tournament Committee about 4DM4:
https://pif.ephemeral.ink/tournament-reports
Albionthegreat
Here we go again.
_Seth
I hope I make it into 4dmwc
Sinsa
ah yes
gl_eo
POGCHAMPIONSHIP
Eclipse-
The tourney staff looks really solid, this is gonna be fun :)
Can't wait to participate!
- Sky -
Im tempted to pp farm just to reach the rank required for this
Kiraz
can I join
soutin

DannyPX wrote:

Tournament hosts have the right to revoke any signed player’s eligibility to participate in the tournament due to an obvious excess of skill compared to the tournament’s target demographic
I wish you guys could make this rule either more clear or notice the player that you think has an "obvious excess of skill" more ahead of the time. Last year I was told I would not be able to play by the time the tournament was about to start. At that point, I had downloaded all the 4DMWC2 and 4DMWC1 pools, was participating in the Brazil tryouts and was practicing for over a month to play with friends from my country.

From my point of view, I played through almost all of the past map pools and I believed that I was at the right skill to participate, so the use of words like "obvious excess of skill" clearly isn't enough.

The last edition's method of screening out "sandbaggers" was neither transparent nor efficient. When I asked the past host why I was screened out, not much information was given to me but a "you have a good score on X loved map". I was frustrated but I thought that maybe I was too good to participate and that players at my level wouldn't participate. However not only people of my level participated, but teams that did not have players of such caliber had no chances of competing in the late game pools.

I recognize that this is a very complicated topic and that I'm writing this from a place of frustration, but I wish from the bottom of my heart that you guys do better this edition and that things run smoothly this time.
-Echo
i hope i make it in
ohdenis
POGGERS
erase
Once more.
denzeljr
Pogu
blacktea12
moment
racksack
hope i make it in!