forum

Can I rank a map with assets from another map?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ClovenHelm
I mapped Crossing Field but I used the MP3 and Hitsounds from Sotark's set, can I rank that??
THAT_otaku
mp3 is perfectly fine but hitsounding you have to ask permission for even just to use, don't use other peoples stuff without asking :>

iirc if you do get permission it should be rankable? I may be wrong though
Zelzatter Zero
MP3 is absolutely fine. You need to use the highest quality possible if you wanna rank a map anyways.

Hitsounds is debatable. Some are common enough that you can just take it freely (like Lasse's basic hitsounding pack, almost all maps use that). With the more unique one (such as keysounds) you can either check the mappers/hitsounder's profile or ask them directly (if they didn't specify it).

Also another note with some other assets that isn't mentioned here, but still worthy of mentioning:

Background is fine as long as you give proper credit. Backgrounds made by the mappers themselves (like self-drawn backgrounds from Cheri's sets) you'll have to treat the same way with the case with hitsounds above.

Storyboard images is also the same deal as hitsounds.
Topic Starter
ClovenHelm
uwaah right thanks bois
TheKingHenry
worth a note that if the mp3 has stuff they have worked on themselves, like compilation edit or whatever, it can be good manners to ask all the same, even if they don't own it

just basically, if it's something they have done themselves, it can be at least good manners to ask or so