forum

[resolved] Windows 8.1 Mouse Cursor Issues [confirmed] [READ FOR FIX]

posted
Total Posts
show more
knot4ever
yeah =/ mouserate its 200hz O.o
knot4ever
The problem is with mouse rate checker, with mousemovmentrecord and DirectInput Mouse Rate(dimr.exe) they show 1000hz.
picupiee
i have test on several FPS limit and this is the result (tested on win 8.1 build 9600 RTM)

Darkimmortal

knot4ever wrote:

The problem is with mouse rate checker, with mousemovmentrecord and DirectInput Mouse Rate(dimr.exe) they show 1000hz.
Because they use raw input from the mouse (ie WM_INPUT), bypassing Microsoft's latest changes

osu uses WM_MOUSEMOVE and/or the other non-raw mouse events, which are now capped at 200hz. This is what mouserate.exe measures

Hopefully peppy can implement raw input, even just as a wrapper around the existing mouse movement code with appropriate scaling.
knot4ever

Darkimmortal wrote:

knot4ever wrote:

Because they use raw input from the mouse (ie WM_INPUT), bypassing Microsoft's latest changes

osu uses WM_MOUSEMOVE and/or the other non-raw mouse events, which are now capped at 200hz. This is what mouserate.exe measures

Hopefully peppy can implement raw input, even just as a wrapper around the existing mouse movement code with appropriate scaling.

=/ Microsoft hates gamers, i hope SteamOS can be great.
peppy
Please test this on the test build.
Darkimmortal

peppy wrote:

Please test this on the test build.
Mouse seems a little more responsive (may be placebo), but still not as good as 8.0

Sensitivity != 1.0 is still very derpy
picupiee
Test result with osu! test build (still on the same os)

look the different ? :)

[Edited] i've just turn on the compbality to windows 8, disable display scaling on high DPI setting and run administrator when i want to test it again
peppy
I'm still trying to understand what happened here. Has behaviour at non-1.0 changed in test build? Could you make a video?
Darkimmortal

peppy wrote:

I'm still trying to understand what happened here. Has behaviour at non-1.0 changed in test build? Could you make a video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41vRYCNB ... e=youtu.be

At 4.0x i'm doing the exact same small spinning motion
peppy
I feel as though I'm going to have to install a native copy of win8.1 in order to figure this one out. VM just doesn't cut it since I cannot replicate the exact behaviour you are seeing.
Darkimmortal

peppy wrote:

I feel as though I'm going to have to install a native copy of win8.1 in order to figure this one out. VM just doesn't cut it since I cannot replicate the exact behaviour you are seeing.
Is it hard to implement the raw input api? Would basically kill two birds with one stone as you could then apply sensitivity more accurately and it would fix the mouse rate input lag issue.
Nya Nya Neko
I think The problem is windows 8..
well ever since i got windows 8 my Mouse doesn't work in Osu.
But know since I've upgraded to 8.1 its extreme...
peppy
PSA: use sensitivity at 1x until this is fixed
leoroids
I have the same issue when im in the menus etc. but when i am actually playing a beatmap my cursor works fine
peppy
Ferdroid8080
another way in order to fix this issue is setting sensivity to 1.0x and handle sensivity in mouse options on windows disabling precision
peppy

peppy wrote:

PSA: use sensitivity at 1x until this is fixed
karma_komodo
What if peppy developed a mouse driver that multiplies mouse input for the whole system?
It would also be nice to have 2 decimal digit multipliers. What do you say peppy?

Oops i got out of track, we are talking about Win8. Does anyone have a gaming mouse with adjustable DPI? Does this happen no matter what DPI are you using?
TakuMii

ArmandoR wrote:

Oops i got out of track, we are talking about Win8. Does anyone have a gaming mouse with adjustable DPI? Does this happen no matter what DPI are you using?
This happens no matter what DPI you're using, but I have no idea why you'd even bother using a setting other than 1.0x if you can change your DPI.
Neizers
I supposed that problem will be correct in the next update hmm? :3 :?
TakuMii

Neizers wrote:

I supposed that problem will be correct in the next update hmm? :3 :?
The problem isn't osu!, peppy can't fix it. You have to wait for a hotfix from Microsoft.
Neizers
Okay.... :(
Espionage724
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2908279

Not sure if it fixes the exact issue with osu! or not though.

Edit: Doesn't seem to help. If you want to test it, you have to flag osu!.exe to be affected by the update (instructions under "How to extend the update to other games").
billy96

Espionage724 wrote:

Edit: Doesn't seem to help. If you want to test it, you have to flag osu!.exe to be affected by the update (instructions under "How to extend the update to other games").
I can confirm, this fix doesn't help much.

Why, Microsoft? So close and yet..
TooFab4U
The windows 8.1 mouse fix doesn't effect osu :c.
But, i've found that if you right click, Properties, Compatibility and "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings". It will work for the most part, I do feel a few derps sometimes (could be just me), but it works quite well and is better than nothing.

http://i.imgur.com/xRXG574.png
TakuMii
That update only seems to fix stuttering and/or freezing cursors. I'd assume the fix for jumpy/unresponsive cursor is something separate..
Espionage724

Espionage724 wrote:

Quick correction on this; it actually does seem to help. I didn't take note of that ShimFlushCache instruction (either it wasn't there before, or I really did miss it; in any case, take note to do step 8). That plus a reboot, and osu! with sensitivity above/below 1.0x works fine, for me anyway.

RawrinWabbit wrote:

But, i've found that if you right click, Properties, Compatibility and "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings". It will work for the most part, I do feel a few derps sometimes (could be just me), but it works quite well and is better than nothing.

This didn't help the jumpy/erratic cursor movement I had with above/below 1.0x sensitivity.

YayMii wrote:

That update only seems to fix stuttering and/or freezing cursors. I'd assume the fix for jumpy/unresponsive cursor is something separate..
Hmm, my problem was a jumpy cursor above/below 1.0x sensitivity.
Carlos Ruiz
Hi, well i was lurking (Alot) this forum since I have the same exact problem, just tried what Espionage724 said about the update, and it works very well, I still notice some derps here and there (Maybe it's just me :/) but definitely playable now.

Btw: Thanks!
billy96
Uhh, the mouse fix actually works, you just need to do a restart after adding osu! to the list(?).
Xcross
I just got windows 8.1 yesterday and tried some of these solutions but none of them have worked.

I use a Razer Naga which has a customisable DPI so I just have to play on 1x (normally 2.5x) for now and try to adjust my DPI accordingly until a proper fix is found.

I have just now made a separate mouse profile for osu! since the mouse speed I use for the game is way too high for normal computer use. I hate having to swap between mouse profiles every time I want to play osu! though :(
Marcin
Using DPI is a lot better O.o If you can use DPI and leave osu! at 1,0x.
Xcross

Marcin wrote:

Using DPI is a lot better O.o If you can use DPI and leave osu! at 1,0x.

I would just use this all the time but I hate having to constantly switch between mouse profiles.

I can't seem to find a DPI setting that feels the same either. No matter what I do it feels off and it sucks having to change settings after months of using these ones T-T

Again, I can manage like this but it was much simpler before aha
TooFab4U

RawrinWabbit wrote:

Ignore this, I just tested the mouse fix again and it worked fine. Odd though, I restarted and then ran osu again and it failed. This time around it's working fine with a few derps here and there.

Now, the higher the sensitivity, the erraticness increases
peppy
Cjmmz

peppy wrote:

anyone tried this? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2908279
I install that update. Not solved :(
Darkimmortal

peppy wrote:

anyone tried this? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2908279
Yes, this fixes the 200hz cap/input lag issue

It doesn't fix the sensitivity != 1.0x issue though
peppy
that's a good start.
BlitzBattalion
Well, apparently we can fix osu! by manually extending the update part. The question is should i attempt to manually change it as the instructions say or should i wait until they have a fix fix? Also, does manually adding osu! solve the mouse sensitivity problem?
Darkimmortal

BlitzBattalion wrote:

Well, apparently we can fix osu! by manually extending the update part. The question is should i attempt to manually change it as the instructions say or should i wait until they have a fix fix? Also, does manually adding osu! solve the mouse sensitivity problem?
That's what I did, the update does nothing otherwise
show more