forum

Installing Every Ranked osu! Map | Pros, Cons, and Guide

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
THAT_otaku
o/

Yo! It's been a while since I've posted anything, so here I am once again :D Recently I've gone through the long process of Downloading, Installing, and Backing up every ranked osu! standard beatmap. This also includes making a separate osu! install (so that I don't mess up my original one), pruning out the non-o!std maps, and getting rate-limited about 10 times :lol: It took a lot longer than it should have, but in my opinion, it's honestly really worth doing.
This post was made to show the process of obtaining every ranked osu! map, and the benefits and disadvantages of doing so. I hope this is useful to someone ~

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
How To Install Every Ranked osu! Map

Prep:
Firstly, you'll need to decide whether you're going to add them all to your current osu! installation or make a new one. If you're fine with filling up your current install with 82k maps, then go down to the next paragraph, otherwise, there are a couple of extra steps. Download the latest osu! installer from The osu! Website (Don't use any existing osu! installers on your computer, older installers can sometimes cause issues), put the installer in an empty folder named "osu!" where you want the new osu! to install to (Don't make this in the same directory as your current osu!) and then run it. Once it's finished installing and you've set up the new client, you're good to go. Foreseeable issues with having 2 osu! installations, thanks to Death:

Death wrote:

The only real drawback I can foresee with this is that it might mess up your file associations. Meaning if you click on a beatmap or skin to open it, it might open with the wrong copy of the game. In theory it should open with the last install you played on, but that still means you need to remember which one that is. This can be avoided by only importing things by dragging them into the osu! window.
Downloading:
Next, downloading the maps. In my experience, the best place to download ranked osu! maps in bulk is from This Forum Post. It's very reliable (and trusted, it's a pinned topic in Beatmap Projects) and seems to indeed have every ranked map... up until the start of 2021 unfortunately. Unless I'm really dumb, once you get to 2021 you'll either have to download them (potentially) painfully slowly from the Official Beatmap Packs on the osu! website, or manually download them one by one on the Beatmap Listing or in osu!direct (supporter only). I chose the latter because of how incredibly slow the downloads were for the official beatmap packs, but if the official beatmap packs aren't slow for you, definitely choose those instead. If downloading from the Official Beatmap Packs page, you'll want to keep going back until you find "Beatmap Pack #969", this is the first pack that contains 2021 maps, with a few from the end of 2020. After that, you'll want to download every pack titled "Beatmap pack #***" until you reach the most current one. If downloading from the Beatmap Listing, search "ranked=2021", select "osu!" and select "ranked". Unfortunately, you will get rate limited (meaning you won't be able to use the site for about 20 minutes) every 201 maps you download (if you are going at a reasonable pace, if you go too fast it may be before that). Try to avoid getting rate limited, it's not the best. If this happens, like it says, take a break, and you'll be able to use the website again. If downloading from osu! direct, I'd wait until you finish installing every other map, then you can just make sure it's set to "osu!" and "ranked" and just spam click away. I really hope the bulk packs for 2021 are made soon, for everyone's sake lolol. (Also massive shout out to Elessey, the creator of that project, awesome work!)

Installing:
Next up is actually installing the maps, believe it or not, it's not completely straight forward. First, you're going to have to extract any compressed files you've downloaded (for example ZIP, 7z, or RAR files) into your osu! songs folder, which can be found in the folder where osu! was installed. You'll only want to do a year or twos worth of maps at a time to minimise the chance of crashes and such, but if you have a beefy computer feel free to try more. Once you've extracted a set of maps into the songs folder, either start up osu! and go into the song select menu, or if you're already there, simply press f5. Once the beatmaps have finished processing, I'd recommend deleting the non-o!std maps before doing another year. To do this, search mode!=o or mode={gamemode} in the search bar, right-click on one of them, and click "Delete all visible beatmaps". It's very important to make sure you only have non-o!std maps visible while doing this. Also, I'd suggest adding additional search terms such as lenght>60 for example, to get the number of visible maps close to 100. If you try deleting too many maps at once this way, you risk freezing and/or crashing your game. Then all you have to do is repeat these steps until you've got them all processed into osu!.

Finishing Up:
Once you've done all of that, you're basically finished! You'll want to wait for the Difficulty Calculation to finish, then search status!=r into the beatmap search bar. If any maps show up, just click on each difficulty with the Global Leaderboard selected and they will update their statuses to ranked. When I did it there were also a few "de-ranked" maps, as in they were ranked and then sent back to the graveyard, and some maps that were changed to loved, so you may want to delete those too. If you have osu!supporter, you can now open the osu!direct menu and download any maps you've missed from this process. If you don't have supporter and you believe you have some missing maps (like me) then um... goodluck! Since you've gone through all this trouble already, it'd be a good idea to back up your songs folder (or just your whole osu! folder) onto an external drive just in case. This may take anywhere from 3 - 10 hours depending on your computer and external hard drive's speeds, but in the long run, I'd say it's worth it.
Pros:

1. Access to the entire library of "official" osu! content to explore
  2. Infinitely easier score farming/map clearing ability
  3. If you're an inconsistent player such as myself, it gives you a great opportunity to play a very large variety of maps, rather than the usual tv size pp maps
  4. Much higher chance that you won't have to download a map while spectating or during multiplayer
  5. Never run out of new maps to play
Cons:

1. Song folder is about 200GB of storage. (This includes BG videos)
  2. On average to lower end computers, there's a chance menu loads could be quite a bit longer than usual (a few seconds sometimes, rather than almost instantly like normal) due to the 80k+ maps. Using the beatmap search is also a struggle most of the time
  3. Overall performance of the game seems to be the slightest bit lower (an additional 2ms and such ;-;), and for whatever reason, requires an additional universal offset on top of the one I had before
  4. Will take a very long time to set up if you have slow internet/slow computer, downloading 2021 will be extra slow but for other reasons (more details above)
  5. Reprocessing beatmaps with f5 will take forever, may want to unbind this key or something if you think you'd press this by mistake
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Man I always end up writing too much :P Overall, unless you play osu! on a toaster, I'd highly recommend doing this at some point when you have some free time. Actually installing every map is a pain, but once you've finished, it's very enjoyable having them all. Thanks for reading, have good one :)
Lp9
this should be pinned somewhere
rematyar
whoa
Joon Yorigami
the score farming side of me is planning something drastic
- Virtu -
impressive
Topic Starter
THAT_otaku
Haha thanks guys :D :D

Yhuan Debeste wrote:

the score farming side of me is planning something drastic
Same here :flushed:
Voidedosu
I would actually not mind doing this if it weren't for the fact I know I'd just get myself overwhelmed by the sheer number of songs just by looking at the amount.

...I'll probably do this someday anyways, probbly after I officially enter the 4*'s with No-mod. The completionist side of me was wanting to get SS's on every song anyways so why the fuck not just get it in bulk the first time?
gamestesterboi
This page might actually help https://pandotracker.me/torrents.html It has the original mapsets pack from the 001 to the 850(up to date) But in torrents, It might help with downloading speed
abraker

Lp9 wrote:

I came up with a solution community/forums/topics/1401944
Topic Starter
THAT_otaku

gamestesterboi wrote:

This page might actually help https://pandotracker.me/torrents.html It has the original mapsets pack from the 001 to the 850(up to date) But in torrents, It might help with downloading speed
Yoo thanks that's really useful for those who like torrent DLs, will mention that above

abraker wrote:

Lp9 wrote:

I came up with a solution community/forums/topics/1401944
fwyiuelhyuileuf this is awesome :D :D :D