forum

Birds aren't real

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Lyawi
I can post here as long as it's quality content? Then let's hope it is lol.

I've been absent in the forums and it's time to come back. Hello again!! I would love to tell you about my new hobby.

In year 2019, I found an injured city pigeon. There was no way for me taking care of it by myself at this point in time because I would have lacked knowledge about anything in this topic. Internet spreads a lot of lies too. So the only correct thing is giving it to someone who is experienced (you know; animals don't exist to experiment with!)

Since then, I've been very interested in this task and informed myself about it for two years straight. Literally soaked in every possible information like some sponge. I'm now a wild bird rehabber myself, still getting help from other wild bird rehabbers nationwide. Are you interested hearing more about it?

Of course you can text me if you need help with a bird, I'm glad to help :P

Here's an European green woodpecker I got yesterday. yes, he's looking angry all the time.
But beautiful bird. Great chances to get released back to wild again.
NekoTowel
I am no bird expert, nor am I in the right situation to keep one, but they sure look lovely.

Just a few questions tho, since I am curious:
  1. What do you do with them when on leave? Like a trip or something. Do you ask someone else to take care of them?
  2. Are there any legal constraints? Like for instance some, if not all owls are considered wildlife and one needs a license to keep them (not certain, correct me if I'm wrong)?
Thanks in advance.
Topic Starter
Lyawi
Of course you can ask!

NekoTowel wrote:

What do you do with them when on leave? Like a trip or something. Do you ask someone else to take care of them?
I'm always home. May sound sad but it's okay to me. It also depends on the bird's age, like I get many nestlings (especially just hatched ones) I need to feed every 30 minutes from 6am till 10pm. There's no free time to go out. When I'm at work, I'm allowed to bring them too :)
"In worst case" I can ask my mom.

NekoTowel wrote:

Are there any legal constraints? Like for instance some, if not all owls are considered wildlife and one needs a license to keep them (not certain, correct me if I'm wrong)?
The goal is always to release them back to wild. If there's a sparrow with no ability to fly, someone with a licence is allowed to keep him as a "pet". If that happened to a bird like common swift, the only acceptable way would be euthanize.

Here in my country, you are allowed to take care of wild animals as long as your goal is releasing them back to wild. Though, for some birds just like owls, you'll need falconry lincense when you want to take care of them (I don't own it, so I'm not taking those but in emergency case, I could still do the "first aid" of course).
There's also hunting law - for example with wood pigeons or raven birds, they're allowed to get hunt, that's why a hunter usually always needs to decide if someone else is allowed to take care of it except him. They also need to decide if it's a strictly protected species (which includes the woodpecker, too). Usually they don't really care, so we can just take them to rehab without any issues :)
NekoTowel
That’s really cool, thanks for answering! Cheers
Topic Starter
Lyawi
Honestly I thought the rehab season was already going to end, there was only two birds left in my care I could release soon.

Suddenly I actually got 11 more birds (lol), mostly nestlings that fell out of high placed nests due to storm. One got even found on the beach.
Vexxer232
Thank you for spreading the truth.
Topic Starter
Lyawi
What truth?

The season is still going on but lately it feels so exhausting. Birds keep dying even though they didn't show any symptoms before. It happens but it feels so often lately. I guess it's not.
Topic Starter
Lyawi
The pigeon rehab station near me had their issues with the veterinary office, causing that they cannot take any pigeons at the moment. Which is pain because we couldn't find any other near place to tell finders to bring their pigeons in need. So... I'm currently taking care of so many pigeons. Autumn slowly begins and they still breed. At the moment I got 6 wood pigeons and 1 Eurasian colored dove. Two more wood pigeon chicks are gonna come tonight... They're all chicks.

Have you ever seen a baby pigeon? Now you have.
NotRaffi
can I send a bird picture and you describe it based on what you see first and then after you searched for it?
Topic Starter
Lyawi
sure but I'll say: I'm not an ornithologist :D I'm kind of familiar with the birds in Europe, I may not even know the one you'll send me
NotRaffi

please describe this bird by just what you see, oh and rate it out of 5
Topic Starter
Lyawi
I assume it's a raven bird? Though, beak looks a bit like black bird's. I have no clue, only that it should be eating insects. What is it? 10/5
NotRaffi
It's a Hooded pitohui, it feeds on poisonous beetles. making this bird, one of the only known poisonous bird, the feather can make you feel numb if you touch it
TheKingHenry

NotRaffi wrote:

It's a Hooded pitohui, it feeds on poisonous beetles. making this bird, one of the only known poisonous bird, the feather can make you feel numb if you touch it
that's really interesting
mqwilliamscom
That's nice of you to fix the government's avian drones. The less taxpayer waste the better.

On a more serious note that's a cool looking bird.
Topic Starter
Lyawi
I still take care of 10 birds. Could need a break now. At least 4 of them are ready to get released but the soft release-aviary is full atm.

For the 6 others, there's no way to grow and heal up faster so they'll probably stay over the winter.

Wood pigeon 1: Seems to be blind, needs to get checked.
Wood pigeon 2: One leg broke, looking for a handicap aviary for them.
Wood pigeon 3: Too young, still begs for food very much.
Wood pigeon 4: Also begs for food but also has neurological issues
Eurasian dove 5: Big wound under the wing due to an attack (but it's healing just fine)
Eurasian dove 6: It's totally fine after colliding against a car, but I would like to release it together with the other Eurasian dove

Yeah.
Topic Starter
Lyawi
All wild birds are gone now. Last were a jackdaw raven bird after collision, sadly it died anyway - cerebral swelling. And 4 handicap pigeons, which all together got a final place in an animal welfare organization.

There was that one pigeon... A wood pigeon, which still showed neurological abnormalities after any treatment... She could not stand stress at all, but she felt very safe with us. Just before going to the handicap aviary, she started to fluff again (a sign of not feeling well) and gratefully accepted warmth. The final place is also a wild bird rehab station, so further diagnostics can be done - and I'm lucky they want to keep me informed about that as well.

They will now start an infusion therapy, and if they don't see any improvement with that, they will have a look if there is something bad going on in the brain. In any case, she can grow old there with the other handicap wood pigeons. :)

Always nice.

Stressful season, but I am already looking forward to next year. Especially for all the sparrow chicks.
pishifat
this is super cool! i volunteered at a bird rehab place before covid, then i moved and i'm not sure where to find more opportunities like that where I live currently. any recommendations on how to find places that take volunteers for this sort of thing? j can't take care of birds in my home for a bunch of reasons, but volunteering at a rehab center again sounds awesome
Topic Starter
Lyawi
hey pishi, where are you from exactly? This would be helping my research :D

Sometimes there's also rehab stations (even official ones) that really suck when it comes to the right food or shelter, knowledge in general... And after getting to know about how most people keep their pet birds in the USA I'm already afraid to look for a good rehab station actually, but I know there's also good ones...
pishifat
los angeles (which makes me think there must be *something* decent nearby). i'd believe that they're not very well handled compared to anything you're used to though LOL
show more