forum

May 2013 Highlights + Map of the Month

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
MillhioreF
Hello, everyone! This is the start of a new monthly thing where we explore some of the awesome things happening in the community this past month. So many great things happen all the time, but only a small fraction of the community ever sees it. Hopefully, with some more public visibility, amazing things can start to get the recognition they deserve. Let's get down to business!

grumd has released a tool to copy hitsounds between map difficulties! This means that mappers can simply hitsound an Insane and copy its hitsounds down to all the lower difficulties. Granted, they may need some tweaking afterwards, but it can save massive amounts of time, especially on ranked mapsets. Take a look at its thread in General Development!

Replays no longer miss when they should not have! A rather large bug that's existed since osu! was created has finally been fixed. All replays will no longer combobreak where they are not supposed to, and this applies even retroactively. Go check out Cookiezi's replay on The Big Black!

osu! hit 10,000 users connected simultaneously! Thanks to Bancho optimizations done a while back, the server was barely strained at all, even with the massive influx of users. Who knows - at the rate we're expanding, we may even see 20,000 simultaneous users next year!

Piotrekol has created a utility to export and import collections! As osu! currently has no way of sharing collections, besides copying your collection.db and overwriting the other person's collections, Piotrekol took matters into his own hands, reading the file format of collections.db and figuring out how to export and individual collections. Go check it out in the release thread!

We have two new GMT members! After working hard as chat moderators for a long time, Blazevoir and TicClick have ascended to the Global Moderator Team. Congratulations, you two, and good luck helping out the community!

Six marathon maps have been approved! We've been seeing quite an influx of approved marathon difficulties, and this month is no exception. Not only that, but of these six marathons, five of them were approved over the course of 2 weeks, setting a new approval record! If you have the time and stamina, go give them a play, as they're all quite high quality, and have a wide range of difficulty.

osu!mania now has achievements! Three brand new Dedication achievements for osu!mania have been released, requiring 40,000, 400,000 and 4,000,000 keys pressed, respectively. If you've already pressed more than that and see the achievement still locked, no worries - just submit a ranked score on osu!mania, and your achievements will unlock automatically.
And last, but not least, Shiro has graciously offered to do a Map of the Month highlight! Rather than attempt to show the best map of the month, which is far too subjective and prone to discussion, the Map of the Month will attempt to show the most noteworthy map of the month, highlighting the map which was most innovative, progressive, or just simply a wonder to behold.

May's Map of the Month: Rita - Hajimari no Toki by Deif

Shiro wrote:

This is the first standalone CatchtheBeat mapset ranked! With this mapset, the game features a standalone mapset of every playable mode. Congratulations!
Great job, everyone! Let's make June an awesome month, too :)
Kurai
Sweet ~
Andrea
Great stuff, I have to say!
Midasmens
Wow
deadbeat
good way to catch up on monthly events :)
KinkiN
Nice ~~
Ichus
i like this colum. GO FOR IT!
Colin Hou
good job
pimp

MillhioreF wrote:

Replays no longer miss when they should not have! A rather large bug that's existed since osu! was created has finally been fixed. All replays will no longer combobreak where they are not supposed to, and this applies even retroactively. Go check out Cookiezi's replay on The Big Black!
lol cookiezi's replay on big black was the 1st thing i thought when you said replays no longer miss...

nice changes :)

edit:

cookiezi is still missing on big black ._.
TilaTequila
bravo!
Leminine
Good to see these
thelewa
my replays still get sliderbreaks that they're not supposed to get :(
Topic Starter
MillhioreF

thelewa wrote:

my replays still get sliderbreaks that they're not supposed to get :(
This is fixed already (and has been for over a week) but public releases have been slow so it's not quite out yet.
Lally
nice o3o
CXu
Wow Millhi, why are you so important now :(

Anyhow, cool stuff, and surprisingly I've been quite updated on most of this stuff already \:D/
Sucralose
Nice! So hilarious! :)
theowest
We have two new GMT members!
I'd like to mention that eveless, Deif, eldnl, Saten and dkun just got promoted right after this month ended (but not in my time zone).
t/83704
Kurai
This will probably be in the June Highlights :P
Mismagius
It would be cool if there was a monthly public poll or something like that so it would be highlighted in this thread. :)
Cristian
So... they got now a different BAT's?... now it's my time.
show more