forum

[rant] sv should not be in tournaments

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[LS]PositoniX
this is mostly directed at people who are interested in the competitive tournament side of 4k, if this doesnt apply to you than this thread is probably not relevant to you.

so as the title of this thread mentions, i personally believe that sv being in tournaments for both 4k and 7k is completely redundant, uncalled for, and just plain stupid. it seems to me that it only still exists in tournaments because mwc used to have it long long ago. this does not justify its presence in tournaments, and i shall explain why.

the point of sv in osu!mania tournaments is essentially just to memorize the beatmap. this next point will likely offend some people, but sv is not a skill that is comprable to rice, ln or hybrid maps.

that is not to say sv needs no skill at all; to obtain good accuracy on sv maps, one often needs very good sense of rhythm. memorization of sv maps is also requires a lot of what i would refer to as "mental stamina", or the willingness to play the same beatmap dozens of time over and over to perfect one's ability to play it. however, the skills one needs in order to perfect the memorization of a beatmap are completely different than the ones needed to play rice/ln/hybrid.

to add on to the last point, rice and ln both require the player to have good physicallity and finger control. sv doesnt need any of that, because the majority of sv maps are very physically light, relying on the tricky timing to provide the difficulty.

the main point to be made here is that sv simply isnt compatible with rice/ln inside of tournaments. its essentially a completely different type of beatmap from ln and rice, and the fundamental rules for it are also completely irrelevant to rice and ln. it's quite bizzare how a player who is more physically competent and generally more skillful than another player can lose a point, simply because the other player has practiced the sv map more.

you might think, "but isnt the point of tournaments to practice the beatmaps?" well, you'd be partly right in this. however, tournaments should reward the more skilled players for being stronger players than rewarding less skilled players for simply playing the mappool before the match more. in my opinion anyway, tournaments should reward skill instead of mental aptitude. not only are sv maps just too different than rice and ln maps to be seriously worthy of being in the same mappools, they reward players for the wrong reasons. while i do think that the mental aptitude required to perfect one's ability to play sv maps, i do not think it is as relevant to tournaments as one's physical skill.

sv should be removed from tournaments. if not removed, it should count for half the points of a regular map, as i believe that both of these categories of maps are simply not compatible with being in the same tournaments.

sv doesnt need to be completely eradicated from tournaments however; it should simply be seperated from more physicality oriented tournaments such as mwc. there already exist sv only tournaments like svse, so i think that sv should be restricted to these tournaments instead of sharing space with ln/rice/hybrid tournaments.

let me know what you think about this

notice
im typing this at 11pm and im tired as fuck so i didnt really read over this thread before posting it, apologies for any miscommunications.
Lights
I'll take this a step further- SVs should not be a mandatory element in ranked 4key VSRGs. Reading tech is a different type of skillset that should not be treated on the same playing field as pattern / rhythm based skillsets. It certainly has its place and shouldn't be outright ignored, but its like asking a math problem in a spelling bee.
abraker
Oh let me join on the SV hate wagon. SR and PP doesnt even take SV into account. Same map with or without SV is worth same, and SV certainly makes the map harder. It feels like SV should not even be ranked or some bonus be applied for accing SV.
Lights

abraker wrote:

Oh let me join on the SV hate wagon. SR and PP doesnt even take SV into account. Same map with or without SV is worth same, and SV certainly makes the map harder. It feels like SV should not even be ranked or some bonus be applied for accing SV.
The solution is a no-brainer- ranked mod to disable SVs. With-SV leaderboards remain intact (via nomod) and thus people who enjoy reading tech can continue to have a leaderboard to compete for. Its not like having a mod disabling SVs would invalidate the chart's difficulty if SR is ignoring them anyway- you just end up with the chart that the SR algorithm actually rated, making the star rating more correct with that mod in place. (Ignoring the fact that SR is usually not very accurate in the first place, but thats a seperate issue).

Quaver is close to an implementation like this, but their no-SV mod is unranked for some reason. (Partially defeating the appeal of it and in true Quaver fashion getting close but not close enough)

EDIT: But looping back to the Original Post- this solution wouldn't be applicable in a tournament setting given that SV charts are generally picked with their SVs in mind.
DeltaNami
I think I remember seeing stuff like batting show and I can fly in the universe (schizophrenia diff) in mwc before and thinking it was pretty cool. Now, looking back, I do agree that it shouldn't be weighted the same as regular maps, but I don't think it should be completely unincluded. Some maps are way too heavy on the SVs and require a ton of memorization, while some do a little bit that's readable enough. For instance, I still think that maps like planet shaper or swampgator could be included, because while they do have SV, it can still be sightread to a decent degree. I also think practice should count more in these situations. When I did music competitions, everyone would practice the hell out of solos beforehand because they wanted good marks and possibly a chance to win the event. I feel that if you have the opportunity to participate in the tournament, especially something like mwc, then you should probably practice the map pool as much as you can, if only to not let your team down. Granted, this is coming from someone who's never played in a mania tournament before, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Lights wrote:

The solution is a no-brainer- ranked mod to disable SVs.
This would be a great addition to the ranked scene, but I imagine it wouldn't happen until lazer, if even then. If it did happen, I'd probably expect something like a 10% score decrease for the people who use it, so that the people who actually practice and learn the map can get rewarded for doing so.

As for the scoring calculation mentioned by abraker, I could see how it would be difficult to determine just how much of an increase in difficulty a single SV could give - which is probably why it hasn't been added yet. There could also be another instance of what happened with LNs, where people can spam easy LNs to artificially inflate the song in difficulty, thereby making it farmable. The same would probably happen with SVs.
iamjorj
SV makes my already bad accuracy even worse
aurusei
assv
Haengsyo
all my homies hate SV
Topic Starter
[LS]PositoniX

abraker wrote:

sv definitely does increase beatmap difficulty, but its not really possible to put an objective value on the difficulty added from svs imo, and i dont think its that important either
kaythen
Don't forget you can cheat by having another screen, laptop, or whatever device, that is running the same map but without SVs.
No way to detect someone using it unless you ask them to record themselves playing the same song with a clear view of their screen and their surroundings.
Lights

[LS]PositoniX wrote:

abraker wrote:

sv definitely does increase beatmap difficulty, but its not really possible to put an objective value on the difficulty added from svs imo, and i dont think its that important either
On what grounds is it not possible? I see no good reasons that would indicate a set of rules couldnt be applied to SV usage to get a sense for their difficulty (agnostic of a player's scroll speed, anyway). Just because it hasn't been done doesn't mean it can't be done.
abraker

[LS]PositoniX wrote:

abraker wrote:

Well at very least putting an objective value for accuracy difficulty on slowjam is relatively easy. The slower the sv and the smaller the spacing between notes, the harder it is to acc.
Joshki19
i agree, sv poopoo >:(
Agka
lol