forum

[Archived] Low fps on high end laptop

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ArthurLambey
Problem details:

Welp, I can't get a good fps on osu. Everytime i play osu, i get 7-10 ms, and my fps is only 160. I got a friend which has a lower spec, but he gets 480 fps 2 ms which is the max fps for him.

My laptop spec:
- GTX 1650 Ti
- i5 10300h
- 8gb ram
- 144 hz

His spec:
- (I don't know his graphics card)
- i5 5200U
- 4gb ram
- 60 hz

Things i have tried:
- Low latency mode set to Ultra
- osu set to high peformance at the graphics settings ( High peformance means GTX 1650 Ti and Power saving means Intel GPU )
- Set the power management to High peformance in control panel
- Unparked my CPU
- Set to high priority at task manager everytime my game launch
- Disabled Compatibility mode (It was a pain since i can't find ICD driver and disabled force compatibility mode at the cfg file)
- Enabled "MyPcSucks" at the cfg file
- That's all

I'm also confused with the "ICD OpenGL driver" Since it only shows up when i launch it with compatibility mode, i can't find the driver and i wasn't sure if it really affects my peformance without compatibility mode turned on.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
My game: https://imgur-archive.ppy.sh/discord/707127517487824936-851368564538867732-unknown.png
His game: https://imgur-archive.ppy.sh/discord/707127517487824936-851370256797925377-screenshot059.png
osu! version: Stable 20210520.2 (latest)
THAT_otaku
Please have a read through wiki/en/Performance_Troubleshooting . Make sure you close all other applications, especially discord. Make sure your laptop is plugged in. Dont do:

ArthurLambey wrote:

- Set to high priority at task manager everytime my game launch
Can't remember where, but in the past peppy said that this is not a good idea
Topic Starter
ArthurLambey
Tried it, I closed discord at the tray and also steam, closed my browser, and I reverted it to Normal priority. Nothing works.
troke
Possible problem that is your Intel GPU and GTX 1650 Ti has a conflict with that, trying to disable intelgpu and make sure in the task manager it's only show GTX 1650Ti

or try this
https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/1735468061755071404/
Topic Starter
ArthurLambey
Can you show me exactly how to disable Intel GPU? I would appreciate it.
Btw, In my runtime log it says that the GL renderer is GTX 1650 Ti.
Death
The GTX 1650 is a mobile GPU, so I'm assuming you are on a laptop. If you are, disabling your integrated graphics is a bad idea and probably not even possible, don't do it. The ICD OpenGL driver error message appearing with compatibility mode is a known issue as well.

You should try running the game with your integrated graphics if you have not done so yet.
Topic Starter
ArthurLambey
Got it from 160 fps to 200 fps, But not as expected. I need some more help ;-;
Death
Did you try the other things listed on the wiki page that was linked earlier? You replied with "tried it", but did so in 4 minutes, which doesn't seem like enough time to go through everything there.
Topic Starter
ArthurLambey
I mean, i tried it before i made this thread, I checked several thread some hours ago and i tried the wiki.
Death
Can you try re-enabling compatibility mode while you have osu! set to use your integrated graphic to see if that makes any difference?
Topic Starter
ArthurLambey
Ok, tried it. I can't run my game with compatibility mode on. It just tab me out and some screen freeze and lag. Can't even get into the game too. I found this video which has the same problem as mine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksBx0B_X6OQ
I can only run osu in comp mode when i have optimus force on at the cfg.
And i also solved this by turning compatibility mode off at the cfg file since i can't really open the game.
Death
Can you get a video of the lag you are getting with your frame time graph enabled? You can use Ctrl+F11 to enable it.
Topic Starter
ArthurLambey
Ok, sure. Btw, how do i bump this thread if needed? Sorry for making a new thread.
Death
It should allow you to post it in again after a few days, that is what I meant by "bump".

Also, compatibility mode not tabbing in properly is a known issue, but the game should still work if you spam click on the osu! icon to actually get the window to open. It's annoying, but it should at least let you test whether or not it gives you better performance.

At the end of the day, this is probably just Optimus being terrible as always. There's a good chance you are trying to compare the performance of your laptop to your friend who doesn't have a graphics card with Nvidia Optimus. You should probably be able to get slightly better performance than what you mentioned in your original post, but if that's the case it'll probably be difficult (or impossible) to get the exact same performance as your friend.
Topic Starter
ArthurLambey
Sadly, i can't record but i got screenshots of me playing with all miss. I also got solution that is kinda obvious. It's to buy a pc. After all i realized buying laptops are mistake. I'm planning on buying a new pc. So i think i'm just going to survive with this for a while. Btw here are the screenshots:
https://imgur-archive.ppy.sh/discord/742953868626886738-852520964951638026-unknown.png
https://imgur-archive.ppy.sh/discord/742953868626886738-852521074642124820-unknown.png
I also have an old laptop that i use to compare. I think you're right, optimus is pretty bad. My old dell laptop peforms with 3 ms, and 360 fps which is pretty good. It has some problems with fps on other game but it's prettu good for osu though. And about the compatibility mode, I turned it on and it turns into a new scenario, It says i need to get ICD driver without Optimus force on and i was a bit confused. I can't turn it back off so i went to the cfg file and turned it off. For FPS, no difference, But the latency goes high.
JULIANLOL1234
It could be a single channel ram issue. I had the same issue. A few months ago I opened up my acer nitro 5 and found it was running 16gb ram in single channel mode (one stick of ram). I bought myself a new stick of 16gb and put it in the extra ram slot and giving me a total of 32gb of ram in dual channel mode. Ever since then my Osu runs at 700-600 fps and some other games my fps even doubles such as CSGO.

My laptop specs

intel i5 11300h

GTX 1650

16gb ram (32 now)

512gb m.2

144hz refresh rate