forum

Carpal Tunnel attacks while playing

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Aqo
Does nobody else get those? I asked some people and apparently no one else does. huh

Today is the 3rd time that I played adult's toy and had a seizure in my left hand while playing it. Took like ten minutes till it went away. The pain is impossible to describe. kinda sucked having to quit the play midway with a 1700 combo :((
It also hurts when doing long stream sessions. bleh?

anyone else has those?

something like this area, at the top of the left hand. hurts like fuck
Jordan

Aqo wrote:

Does nobody else get those? I asked some people and apparently no one else does. huh

Today is the 3rd time that I played adult's toy and had a seizure in my left hand while playing it. Took like ten minutes till it went away. The pain is impossible to describe.
It also hurts when doing long stream sessions. bleh?

anyone else has those?

something like this area, at the top of the left hand. hurts like fuck
Sometimes I feel pain in my wrist-joint with my stream hand
kriers
I had this in 2011 and it effectively forced me to stop using a keyboard entirely for about 6-7 months and so I became a mouse only player chasing taNa instead.

I think the carpal tunnel is gone now, but I think it must've lasted for over a year in total until that numb feeling in my left hand pinky had gone away completely :(
[CSGA]Ar3sgice
delete game save life
enik
Sometimes I feel "something" in the left hand there, but nothing close to pain (yet?). Thought I have issues with my right thumb that tablet gave me. At first it was just crackling then I had pains when trying to bend it and now it doesn't bend at all lol. It regenerates pretty qucikly though and comes back to just crackling after a few days break from osu so I don't care too much plus I almost learned to play successfully without using a thumb.
Lapis-
I don't really get pain while playing, but there is a obvious pain if I stretch my left hand and such, and none in my right. I probably damaged something x.x
peppy
Go see a doctor. Seriously.
Stefan

peppy wrote:

That for first.

Not sure if this really helps but you should warm up your arm (or hand, not sure where exactlly you got the seizure) and this might avoid it for a percentageable number. I mean, I don't know if you do that already but that's all what I could suggest since every part of our body needs a Warm-up to work properly how it should.

I've never had this, actually just have wrist problems but this is caused by my very bad mouse positioning.
winber1
I've only had a very very very very minor thing happen (comparative speaking to this), once when I was trying to get a FC somethingn at 270BPM, because I can't stream and itryvaryhard to fc. Basically, what I had wasn't pain at all, it was just that my muscles tensed up a lot, and I could feel like a very slight pulling force pulling my wrist into a certain position. It wasn't very noticeable, but I immediately stopped after that happened.

But the main point is what peppy said. doctors man, they help. or at least don't use your left hand as much. If you are really desperate at getting better in terms of stamina and streaming and such, there are other methods are strengthening your wrist muscles without sitting at ur computer all day.
Jagermeiser
I've had exactly the same thing for about 3 months. How to fix: keep your wrists elevated so that your hand isn't positioned at an angle. It could remove the stress caused at the areas you highlighted (or atleast it did for me).
Antero
That's not carpal
Pizzicato
it attacks when your median nerve is stressed. see a doctor.
your hand is more important than this game
Beeeo
Use a towel or something to pad your left arm.
Mithos
See a doctor. He/she won't make you stop playing this game or using keyboard. They might suggest you take a break, but you should really listen to them. It's really important.

2 years ago, I had a similar pain forming in my wrist while playing Stepmania. It was not in my dominant hand. I was scared to get it checked because the doctor might have cut me off from the game, but I decided to take a shot in the dark and get it checked. I was honest with the doctor, and he seemed to understand where I was coming from. He suggested some hand exercises and told me that I could play the same amount of stepmania by taking scheduled breaks BEFORE my hand started to hurt. If it's chronic, you will start to learn when the pain comes up (after X amount of 16th streams or after 20 minutes of continuous play).
Chyo-Kun
It's very rare,but sometimes i feel a tickling on the keyboard hand.
That's strange when it happens,but it's faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar away from hurt. It fades away when i move my hand.
The place where i feel it is the same as the image~
Hika
Carpal tunnel is not always described with pain. Every time someone has explained their cases of CTS (to me, at least), they feel numbness and tingling after they play sometimes. You should probably change your tablet area if it's small and if you don't move your wrist enough. If it's already big enough and you're feeling this way, you should really see a doctor because your hands are more important than the game.

If it's just tingling, numbness or things of the like, it's probably the fact that you need a break because if you keep straining your hands like that, it can turn into permanent muscle damage.

Pain is completely serious and should not be taken lightly.
Topic Starter
Aqo

Hika wrote:

You should probably change your tablet area if it's small and if you don't move your wrist enough.
Left hand, not right hand.
Keyboard hand.

And the pain went away but my hand has been feeling numb all day now. Still does. :(
Mithos
Spend 24 hours without strenuous use of that hand. That includes any typing, hand/finger stretches, heavy lifting, etc. You can use it casually, but not for anything that involves rapid finger movements or stress to be applied to the back of your hand or the inside of your fingers.
Purple
When you do something and you get abnormal pain out of it, it means you should stop

Thats what pain is for (unless you have some neurological disorder)
Hika

Aqo wrote:

And the pain went away but my hand has been feeling numb all day now. Still does. :(
If it's numb, just don't play for a while; you wouldn't want that to hinder your ability to play forever if the pain comes back.

you just stream too much so stop it, noob
buny
the risks of aqo training
Anzo
Hand exercises like this will help you, http://www.eatonhand.com/hw/ctexercise.htm .
Tsukimi Luna
After you get your treatment

You need to fix your posture

Mouse/Tablet?/Keyboard at Elbow Level...... not ON TOP of the table
Its hard to get used to it intially but it gets really comfortable later

Playing with mouse and keyboard ON top of the table Above your elbow is very well known to cause CTS

If your posture is right
The stress on your median nerve would be greatly reduced
You wont get carpal tunnel
You shouldnt use your wrist to stream (meaning the positioning)
Only your fingers should be under stress

I used to put all my stuff on top of the table
And my wrists will go numb after long sessions of osu!
But now, with everything below my elbow i can go on for a very long time without any pain besides fatigue.....

You should stop playing for now and seek treatment
Full Tablet

Yuu-Chii wrote:

After you get your treatment

You need to fix your posture

Mouse/Tablet?/Keyboard at Elbow Level...... not ON TOP of the table
Its hard to get used to it intially but it gets really comfortable later

Playing with mouse and keyboard ON top of the table Above your elbow is very well known to cause CTS

If your posture is right
The stress on your median nerve would be greatly reduced
You wont get carpal tunnel
You shouldnt use your wrist to stream (meaning the positioning)
Only your fingers should be under stress

I used to put all my stuff on top of the table
And my wrists will go numb after long sessions of osu!
But now, with everything below my elbow i can go on for a very long time without any pain besides fatigue.....

You should stop playing for now and seek treatment
... what about tablet and keyboard at lap level?
Purple

Anzo-nii wrote:

Hand exercises like this will help you, http://www.eatonhand.com/hw/ctexercise.htm .
Oh yeah, I did have some minor hand pain at some point. I solved it by taking a break from fast (high BPM) maps and doing hand exercises.
Oinari-sama

Stefan wrote:

peppy wrote:

That for first.
So will you be displaying more OH&S warnings now?

Can consider what I said in this old post?
Mithos
But really, if you haven't already seen a doctor, do it. Only good can happen from doing so.

Those wrist exercises are the ones I was suggested. At first you can really feel a strain from doing them, but after a few days they really help (and they actually make me play better :o)
Thatgooey
I had carpal in my right wrist along with RSI in both wrists. RSI is what will cause the pain, where carpal tunnel will cause numbness and tingling with loss of grip (carpal can also cause slight burning on top of wrist). The pain at the top of the wrist is mainly from RSI (repetitive stress injury), which comes from doing one particular motor task over and over until the point where it doesn't recover anymore. RSI is USUALLY the cause of pain associated with keyboard and mouse usage according to the hand doctor I went to. If you wrist and forearm are burning, that is likely what it is, so long as there is no numbness and tingling with it. The are two nerves that will cause numbness. The Median nerve being compressed is what causes "carpal tunnel syndrome", which is when the nerve in the carpal tunnel gets crushed down, causing you to lose grip and sensation in your thumb, index, and middle finger, as well as the thick padded area of your palm that is at the base of your thumb. When I had carpal, I was not able to sense hot/cold or pain at my fingertips, and unable to produce enough force to grip a door handle and turn the knob.

For those of your talking about your pinky going numb, that is your ulnar nerve. This goes numb when your elbow is resting on something, since the nerve lies unprotected over the bone, just under your skin. This is why you get the tingling feeling when you hit your "funny bone", because it is very easy to make contact with the nerve. I am no doctor, so I don't know risks of long-term effects of constantly having your pinky go numb, but I know how to keep it from happening. Make sure that if you have arm rests on your chair, that you elbows do no rest on them. This is what is making your pinky go numb.

For those with pains, take breaks and do stretches. If you don't stretch correctly when you run and run on healthy surfaces, you run the risk of developing shin splints and tendinitis. It's the same for your hands and gaming peripherals. Make sure you have good posture and form, and take responsible breaks. I would also recommend wearing wrist splints during the night. I still have to years later. It helps immensely with pain/weakness.

*EDIT* Also, like others say, of course go see a damn doctor if it gets bad enough to where you can't use your hands correctly even after you take time off. We are no doctors here. Also some personal advice, be as 100% honest as possible with your doctor when he asks questions, and don't try to convince yourself you have carpal by telling him you have symptoms which you may not have. Tell the doctor exactly where the pain is, and be honest about any burning/numbness sensations. Your health is important, so take it seriously. You only get one pair of hands.
clashe_old
I've been getting pain in my wrists/fingers a lot lately, this thread is really helpful, thanks everyone :)
show more