forum

[resolved] Unable to set a Skin *Resolved*

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Artmistudio
So I just got osu! on my current computer, and I've played osu before, but for some reason the skin isn't loading at all. I tried to load it (to open osu) but it redirects me to the app store. I've tried putting it into the skin folder itself (both in a new folder and the User folder), but it just won't load. I'm worried it will do this with beatmaps too. Anyone know how to fix this?

Update: beatmaps do the same thing (the osu! logo doesn't even show up on the file)
-aster
Can you go into more detail when you say "it redirects me to the app store"?

Do you mean when you open the skin after downloading, it opens up the app (Microsoft if you're on Windows, Mac on Mac) store and not osu!? If so — you might have to set osu! as the default application that .osk (skins) and other osu files are opened in upon being extracted.
THAT_otaku

-aster wrote:

If so — you might have to set osu! as the default application that .osk (skins) and other osu files are opened in upon being extracted.
99% sure this is the case. The reason it didn't work while manually putting it in the skins folder is likely because you didn't restart osu! after doing so, or you did something slightly wrong.

Methods of fixing this (they do the same thing):

First way:
1. Open Windows Settings.
2. Type "default" into the searchbar, and click "Default Apps".
3. Scroll down and click "Choose default apps by file type".
4. Scroll down and find ".osk" & ".osz".
5. Click on each and then click osu!.

If osu! doesn't appear when doing the above, or you'd prefer to, try this other way:

Second way:
1. Download a beatmap (and a skin (in .osk format)).
2. Right click it in File Explorer, and click "Open with...".
3. Find and select osu!, you may need to click "More apps", or "Look for another app on this computer" first.
4. Click "Always use this app to open .osz (or .osk) files".
5. click "OK".

Hope this helps :)
RinPlaysOsu

THAT_otaku wrote:

-aster wrote:

If so — you might have to set osu! as the default application that .osk (skins) and other osu files are opened in upon being extracted.
99% sure this is the case. The reason it didn't work while manually putting it in the skins folder is likely because you didn't restart osu! after doing so, or you did something slightly wrong.

Methods of fixing this (they do the same thing):

First way:
1. Open Windows Settings.
2. Type "default" into the searchbar, and click "Default Apps".
3. Scroll down and click "Choose default apps by file type".
4. Scroll down and find ".osk" & ".osz".
5. Click on each and then click osu!.

If osu! doesn't appear when doing the above, or you'd prefer to, try this other way:

Second way:
1. Download a beatmap (and a skin (in .osk format)).
2. Right click it in File Explorer, and click "Open with...".
3. Find and select osu!, you may need to click "More apps", or "Look for another app on this computer" first.
4. Click "Always use this app to open .osz (or .osk) files".
5. click "OK".

Hope this helps :)
But the OP said “but it redirects me to the app store.” so I think they’re using a Mac. Apple calls it the App Store, and Microsoft calls it the Microsoft Store (I think).
Topic Starter
Artmistudio
Thank you all so much! I used the method of finding osu! in my files and setting it to open with that app. It's working now, just a little tedious :D
insanemothman
This still doesnt work for me even after trying both methods, is there any reason why
JustABeginner
Maybe it is a different file type if it weren't .osk.
But, please do address your problem further in here: Create a new topic