forum

Storyboarding Question Hey Hi

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
BakaaTako
So hi! I am new to beatmapping, and by result, storyboarding as well. However, that has never stopped my monkey brain from trying!

I have an idea for what I want to do, but I am unsure if it would even work as a storyboard, or if I should just hedge my bets for a video background.

I would like to do a simple, minimum frame animation like this: https://youtu.be/r49EFkScDHE

I have the art side of things covered, all I really need to know if it would be possible; and if so practical; to do this in the form of a storyboard. I don't mind putting in a little extra work for a storyboard, as I notice they are usually less laggy, but if I need to go to a video format, I don't mind doing that either. Thank you for your time!
THAT_otaku
Yes that would definitely be possible in storyboard format :D , although you could potentially save some time by just making a simple video.

If you end up going for a storyboard, you'll want to use the storyboard text file to """"code"""" it though, rather than using the storyboard editor.

Step1, put all the image files you'll need into the beatmap folder of the map you're making. you can access this folder by clicking File -> Open Song Folder.
Step2, go to the "design" section of the editor and click "Sprite library" click on any of the image files, it doesnt matter as you will delete it later. Then save the map, then exit the map and go back into it (reloading the map).
Step3, go to File -> Open .OSB Notepad. You can then delete:
Sprite,Foreground,Centre,"{filename}",320,240
 M,0,213941,,320,240
and save the file.

Now you can add files through the Design tab (or just by typing a line of code if you're extra kool) whenever you want, by saving the .osb, exiting it, and then adding the files in through the design tab. Then reopening the .osb , so that the new files show up inside it for you to do stuff with.

The rest I'll leave you to figure out, here are some useful guides to read through that you'll need to actually make the storyboard:
wiki/en/Storyboard_Scripting
https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/en/Storyboard_Scripting/Objects
wiki/en/Storyboard_Scripting/Commands#basic-commands
Keep in mind you'll want to use a "Loop" if you want that animation to repeat lots. You'll mostly be doing very fast fades though, to make each frame appear and disappear.

Hopefully this wasn't confusing, feel free to pm me if u need any more help :)
Topic Starter
BakaaTako
Thank you SO much for the help! It is very much appreciated :)