forum

Beatmap Spotlights (Spring 2021) - Discussion Thread

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Venix

How's going, Spotlight rivals, Spring Season 2021 is finally here!

You can learn more about the Beatmap Spotlights and the Seasonal League on our wiki article.

With the new-and-improved Beatmap Spotlights system come a lot of changes, features and rewards that are yet to be implemented and up to discussion.

You can leave your impressions, feedback and criticism in this thread, so we can shape this system into the best it can ever be. You can suggest anything! Even game-changing feedbacks and what rewards you expect for next season.
Chatie
Not really a spotlights system specific thing but idk where else to post this:

I don't understand why the leaderboard has been reduced to only being able to see 1 person at a time? Would be a better use of space to shorten the list of participants visible, so the leaderboard can be extended.
Sleepteiner
1.01x speed DT gives as many points as regular DT. This ruins the integrity of the whole competition.

I fundamentally disagree with adding freemod in the first place. This does not make the spotlights more competitive. All it does is make it more grindy and less balanced. And this is on top of the already horrible combo scoring system that makes everything exhaustingly grindy.

This is a small thing (for now at least), but the number of bonus spins doesn't seem to appear anymore in gameplay for me. That is important information to know if you want to maximize your score.

Another small thing is that when you first set a score in a playlist lobby, two versions of that score will appear on the leaderboard. This is fixed if you just reload the leaderboard, but it is worth mentioning anyway.

Also, why do slider ends STILL basically not count? I've never seen anyone be positive about this change. On the wiki page for the Spotlights it says "highlighting beatmaps for their excellent and unique design and gameplay." Despite this, no real effort has been made to significantly reward players for actually playing sliders as they were intended to be played. This ruins the flow of slider maps, of which there have been many picked for this competition over the seasons.

I apologize for being so harsh. It is just that it is very hard to be enthusiastic about a project that is in a significantly worse state than it was in the first season, which was 10 months ago.
7ambda
There are a lot of complaints about the maps chosen for playlist D (STD).

For starters, more than half the picks (purple diffs) aren't low-rank friendly at all; they're way too hard for nearly everyone doing this playlist.

Second, Charming Man (dsco's set) is too unfair to pass given its harsh passive drain. Many of the complaints are especially pointing at this since it's easy to fail with even a few misses.

Also the leaderboard on Playing With Ruby is atrocious. Just look at how low the accuracies are even at top positions. Where is the quality control? Did the curators not conduct adequate playtesting before finalizing things?

THAT_otaku

Venix wrote:

what rewards you expect for next season.
Surely the seasonal spotlight medals will be coming soon, right? Last I heard they haven't been "discontinued" or anything so.. :?

Another question, is there ever in the future going to be an option to play the spotlight lobbies (or something) in standard? I'm sure this has been asked lots, my bad, but Lazer makes my computer sad.

Other than that the maps themselves are good as always (despite what people have said) and mostly everything about the competition as a whole is still a fun experience :)