forum

I Need Help understanding Mania Animation Timing

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
epictacosam
I'm currently trying to create a mania skin with intricate hold note animations. I know the AnimationFramerate variable in the skin.ini does not apply to the mania notes so I need clarification on how exactly it works.

To my knowledge there are three things that control the overall framerate in osu!
1. Your monitor (mine is 60hz)
2. The skin.ini file (not applicable to mania notes)
3. The game framerate (according to the game I'm running 480fps)

1. Does the animation fps cap out for mania notes. Say I had a 600 frame note/hold animation would the game still show every frame if the framerate was uncapped?
  2. If the game could only get up to 480fps would it cut off the remaining frames?
  3. Lastly would I only see the first 60 frames since my monitor is 60hz?
THAT_otaku

epictacosam wrote:

1. Does the animation fps cap out for mania notes. Say I had a 600 frame note/hold animation would the game still show every frame if the framerate was uncapped?
No idea about the rest to be honest, but if for any, and especially all, of your mania elements had 600 image files (for each animation), your pc would fucking die lolol. The game isn't really designed to have that level of detail for animations. Some people struggle to run animation files that are 10 - 30 images long :lol:
Topic Starter
epictacosam

THAT_otaku wrote:

epictacosam wrote:

No idea about the rest to be honest, but if for any, and especially all, of your mania elements had 600 image files (for each animation), your pc would fucking die lolol. The game isn't really designed to have that level of detail for animations. Some people struggle to run animation files that are 10 - 30 images long :lol:
I'm not going to animate anything near 600 frames I was just using that as an exaggeration to help get a better understanding of how the game is working under the hood. loading 600 frame notes for every note would cause a crash lol.

I want to make a smooth animation so Understanding the frame pacing helps with that quite a bit. Right now its pretty much trial and error which is somewhat of a pain in the neck since all the files have to be named correctly and if something is off everything needs to be renamed.

on an unrelated note is the animation timer always connected? It seems that once a hold note is triggered the following hold notes are on the same animation timer rather than the animation being triggered per individual hold is there a way to change that behavior?