forum

It's April

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
WitherMite
and that means its...

Autism Acceptance Month

Now I know how the internet sees autistic people very well, and am aware most of the time when people use the term as an insult its only a joke, but the fact of the matter is that most people have absolutely zero idea what autism actually is and what it means to be autistic. So I'm making this thread to at least try and teach the people of OT what autism really is.

Before I begin, I want you to forget everything you think you know about autism, because the condition has a very dark past when it comes to the doctors that study it, the "charities" that support it, and the public's view of autistic people.

Technically April 2nd is autism day, but I've decided to wait longer, for hopefully obvious reasons, whoever picked that day had to have done it intentionally. Though April is still considered autism month.

I thought about posting this in General Discussion because of the serious nature of the thread, but 2 seconds later I realized that that was stupid and actually serious threads don't belong there anymore, all it is is lost G&R peeps and people posting dumb surveys.
"Why do you care about autism Wither?"
I've mentioned before that I am socially disabled, well I am self diagnosed autistic. Now that may turn your head, who am I to diagnose myself? well, one I'm a poor American, so healthcare isn't something I have much of and mental disorders/disabilities aren't exactly something the government cares enough about to help pay for, especially for adults.
At this point I've done so much research about autism that I can confidently say I know more about it than most doctors. I've looked around in many autism/Asperger's communities and have found my self fitting in so well its scary. Autism is the only label I've been able to find that accurately describes the way I experience the world. Maybe Ill get into my symptoms If people ask me, but this thread is already long enough. Please, don't treat me any differently, I've been reluctant to ever tell people online about this as I have no idea if they unironically see autism the way 4-chan does, or the way suburban moms do. I would prefer to not be ridiculed or babied, I am an adult and wish to be treated as such. I would hope that I've proved at this point that I'm not stupid either.

What is Autism?

Autism is a developmental disability that affects the way people experience the world, move, communicate, and socialize.
It is a spectrum of symptoms and no two autistic people are affected by autism in the same way. Here's a post later on in this thread detailing these symptoms: community/forums/topics/1291040?start=8022838

It is only a disability because the world is built for neurotypical people, and autistic people have different needs.

Autistic people are different, not less.

What is Autism not?

Autism =/= Retard
It can be comorbid with intellectual disabilities, but an individual's IQ, and capacity to learn has no bearing on their autism diagnosis.

Autism does not only affect young white boys.
Children with autism grow into autistic adults, women can have autism, and people of any ethnicity can be autistic. The numbers that say otherwise are because of under diagnosis, and as doctors become better at diagnosing other demographics the gap has been narrowing.

Autism cannot be cured. It affects the way the brain fundamentally interacts with the world and changing that would be like trying to change someone's personality, we don't know enough about the brain to even attempt to do so and the ethical implications are questionable

Heres a couple resources to learn more if you are interested:
https://autismacceptance.com
https://autisticadvocacy.org/
https://www.reddit.com/r/aspergers
(reddit link Ik but these are actual autistic people sharing their experiences and that is a valuable resource.)

Charities

I mentioned that some of the charities that support autistic people aren't the best, and none quite live up to this awful legacy as Autism Speaks does.

TL;DW: Autism Speaks only focuses on the families of autistic people not the children themselves, are looking for a cure that doesn't exist, are a big reason Antivaxxers think vaccines will give children autism, pretend autistic adults don't exist, and have absolutely zero autistic representation in their ranks. They also have put out awful ads that demonize autistic children and are like a big part of why autism has such negative connotations.

Here's the ad mentioned in the video on it's own.

Here's a list of actually good charities: https://www.appliedbehavioranalysisprograms.com/best-autism-charities/

Autism is still not very well understood by the public and even most doctors, and hopefully this changes In the near future. If you have any questions ask and I'll do my best to answer. I personally don't take offense to the autism jokes the internet like to use, but I would appreciate it if you could keep them out of this thread.

wew long thread. at least its better than that blank one yesterday... inb4 people get mad at me for not keeping OT a shitposting haven.
KatouMegumi
okay, have a nice day dude.
pentaqola
i like this! i don't understand why some people treat autism like it is a problem to be fair, its not a bad thing to me and it shouldn't be treated like a negative perk.

i personally do not know if i have autism or not, albeit i understand where they are coming from. i appreciate them though, and i like seeing them pursue their dreams and achieve things.

happy to see a thread like this here to be fair, they deserve to be brought to a good light :]
Topic Starter
WitherMite

KatouMegumi wrote:

the post button is optional you know, if you dont care, dont post.
KatouMegumi

WitherMite wrote:

KatouMegumi wrote:

the post button is optional you know, if you dont care, dont post.
harsh.
igorsprite
i don't like autistic people. when i was 8yo, a autistic boy broke my glasses and when i was 14yo another guy tried to kill me with a sleeper hold, i could do nothing because he was autistic.
Penguin

igorsprite wrote:

i don't like autistic people. when i was 8yo, a autistic boy broke my glasses and when i was 14yo another guy tried to kill me with a sleeper hold, i could do nothing because he was autistic.
"I could do nothing because he was autistic" what? How does this even make sense? Also, why would you judge every single autistic person just because of TWO experiences that you've had with people who happen to fall under the same category? That's a very immature and ignorant way of looking at things.

You don't generalize and judge things based on extremely anecdotal evidence. You're more than likely to come to illogical conclusions this way. Like I said in another thread, generalizations are dehumanizing.
igorsprite

Penguin wrote:

"I could do nothing because he was autistic" what? How does this even make sense? Also, why would you judge every single autistic person just because of TWO experiences that you've had with people who happen to fall under the same category? That's a very immature and uneducated way of looking at things.

You don't generalize and judge things based on extremely anecdotal evidence. You're more than likely to come to illogical conclusions this way. Like I said in another thread, generalizations are dehumanizing.
both events took place at the school, and it was very humiliating and traumatic for me. the only 2 autistic guys i meet did it to me, i don't know what they are capable of, so i prefer keep distance from these people.
Topic Starter
WitherMite

igorsprite wrote:

Penguin wrote:

"I could do nothing because he was autistic" what? How does this even make sense? Also, why would you judge every single autistic person just because of TWO experiences that you've had with people who happen to fall under the same category? That's a very immature and uneducated way of looking at things.

both events took place at the school, and it was very humiliating and traumatic for me. the only 2 autistic guys i meet did it to me, i don't know what they are capable of, so i prefer keep distance from these people.
trust me you've met more autistic people than that, often they are masking, which is pretending to be normal - put super simply. it takes a lot of energy but it lets them fit in better and avoid being total social outcasts. the people you are talking about were for one really young and two most likely didnt have the ability/knowledge to really mask yet.

what you said is the equivalent of me saying,

"I dont like black people, I was often bullied by them when I was younger (<- this is true actually - the bullying not the racism) and it was traumatizing, I dont know what they are capable of so I keep a distance from them."

now how fucking stupid does that sound?

as I said, autistic people aren't less, only different and have the capacity to be either good people or really awful people, same as neurotypical people.
- Marco -
Take this 👑
pentaqola
okay, i can understand from your viewpoint igor as i got the same experience but with special needs people that are... not the best people. one once lied about shit from me, even said i was harming another kid ffs when in reality i didn't. what scared me is how much control they have over me because of that reason that they are someone with special needs. their guardian even got angry at me when i didn't want to be near them

there are more than just that since i grow up in a school with them being kinda common, but did i generalize em to be bad? no, because that is just one of the bad eggs.

it still sucks you got to have two of em with ruined your viewpoint of autistic people. either way generalizing them won't help though
igorsprite

WitherMite wrote:

trust me you've met more autistic people than that, often they are masking, which is pretending to be normal - put super simply. it takes a lot of energy but it lets them fit in better and avoid being total social outcasts. the people you are talking about were for one really young and two most likely didnt have the ability/knowledge to really mask yet.
as long i can't differentiate is fine to me.

WitherMite wrote:

"I dont like black people, I was often bullied by them when I was younger (<- this is true actually - the bullying not the racism) and it was traumatizing, I dont know what they are capable of so I keep a distance from them."

different realities, more than half of brazilian population isn't white, so doesn't make sense saying that.

EDIT: just don't be too autistic. i almost cried just from remembering, i'm very immature and fragile about this topic.
Topic Starter
WitherMite

igorsprite wrote:

WitherMite wrote:

WitherMite wrote:

different realities, more than half of brazilian population isn't white, so doesn't make sense saying that.
I fail to see how this is reason enough to generalize all autistic people based on two kids.

and what do you mean different realities, I was using hyperbole to prove my point that using anecdotes to generalize is stupid, of course its going to be from my perspective and I doubt people dont know about America's issues with racism, we are some loud motherfuckers when it come to our politics.

EDIT: Wtf do you mean by just don't be too autistic?
z0z
you seem to really care if you're willing to post this at all
igorsprite

WitherMite wrote:

EDIT: Wtf do you mean by just don't be too autistic?

igorsprite wrote:

this. i'm afraid of autistic people, ok?

EDIT: fuck, i cried. i will not reply anymore
abraker
When you are young and are still learning social interactions, how others treat you, and where you are in relation to those people, any experiences will create a life lasting impact. It's easy for you to say that that's not reason enough to generalize, but this is not a problem of deciding to generalize. This has deeper psychological roots due to childhood experiences that are not so easy to dig up.
Topic Starter
WitherMite

abraker wrote:

When you are young and are still learning social interactions, how others treat you, and where you are in relation to those people, any experiences will create a life lasting impact. It's easy for you to say that that's not reason enough to generalize, but this is not a problem of deciding to generalize. This has deeper psychological roots due to childhood experiences that are not so easy to dig up.
I had no idea that he was talking about an irrational fear, and would have been kinder if I did. I am sorry for my harsh words igor.

however it is still an irrational fear of a group of people and is not a reason to generalize and say that you dont like autistic people. I am well aware of how much experiences in childhood can affect how you see the world, but tolerance is a skill that everyone has to learn, everyone has prejudices.

Autistic people should not feel the need to mask all day out of fear of somehow offending abled people.
the amount of mental and sometimes physical effort this takes is immense and often leads to a very poor quality of life.
Penguin

abraker wrote:

You can't excuse discrimination due to psychological trauma. It's one thing to understand why someone discriminates, but it's another thing to excuse their behavior. I'm not going to excuse a racist because he was bullied by a black kid when he was a child. Why should we excuse discrimination against autistic people?

People can work past trauma and I'm sure that Igor can too one day. Just because he has his own personal reasons to generalize, doesn't mean that they are valid. When it comes down to it, it is most likely ignorance that leads to the generalizations in this case, not the trauma itself. You can't use trauma as an excuse for generalizing. Nor can you use trauma as an excuse for ignorance.
abraker
I am not using trauma as an excuse for ignorance, but as an excuse explanation for behavior. Behavior specifically that comes not from the underlying decision to do something, but from something more fundamental. Just like how some people are afraid of heights or spiders.
Penguin
I understand that you weren't trying to make an excuse for ignorance or for his behavior, I never meant to imply that you were. My point was that the issue of generalizing essentially comes down to ignorance, not trauma, and that at the end of the day, it is still his decision to generalize.
show more