forum

Many questions about the editor

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
karomi
Hello, I have recently just picked up mapping again and currently making my second map ever. However, I have a few questions that would be very helpful if anyone was willing to answer even one. Here are my questions:

- How do I properly hitsound? I go into other people's maps and notice that not all the circles are just the default hitsound, but the buttons to the right of the screen aren't activated either, so I am very confused on how to do that.
- How do I choose what part of the song is the audio preview? When selecting a song to play, a certain part of the song will play. This is usually the chorus of the song. How do I make my map have the chorus to be the audio preview of the song?
- How do I properly use the timing tab? The only time I use the timing tab is very rarely when I am setting up a Kiai mode or I am making a very slow slider. Is there an easier way to fluxuate to have more advanced slider placement, or is manually going into the timing tab the easiest solution?
- How do I 100% make sure the song is timed correctly? I usually just go with my ears to make sure its timed correctly, but I'm scared that it really isn't timed correctly. Is there a way to check?
- How do I make accelerating streams? When using the Convert Slider to Stream tool, i notice that all the circles are evenly spaced, but how can I make one section of these streams be a little more or less spaced than the rest?

If anyone can answer at least one of these questions, it would be very helpful.
THAT_otaku
Answers:

q2: Go to the point in the song you'd like the preview point to be, go to the timing drop down menu at the top of the screen and click "Set current time as preview point" Remember not to change this between difficulties, it should be consistent :)
q3: You could use the short cut f6 (or fn+f6 depending) to more easily open the timing panel. otherwise yeah thats very basically what you use it for, bpm changes, sv changes, kiai, volume/hitsound, etc.
q4: you could always ask someone else :) what i personally do: place the bpm line at the first note of the song, use an online bpm detector thingy and then to double check, i put circles at the start and end of the song in time with the song and if it sounds off then somethings wrong. Hopefully you are mapping a single BPM song otherwise things get more complicated
q5: what i do is make a slider of the shape you want, and rather then converting it, i use distance snap and place the circles over the slider in the play field, so that the shape stays the same but the lowering/increasing distance snap makes the stream deccelerate/accelerate.
q1 is too hard hitsounding is confusing to explain lol

Hope i could help somewhat :)
lewski
Topic Starter
karomi

THAT_otaku wrote:

Answers:

q2: Go to the point in the song you'd like the preview point to be, go to the timing drop down menu at the top of the screen and click "Set current time as preview point" Remember not to change this between difficulties, it should be consistent :)
q3: You could use the short cut f6 (or fn+f6 depending) to more easily open the timing panel. otherwise yeah thats very basically what you use it for, bpm changes, sv changes, kiai, volume/hitsound, etc.
q4: you could always ask someone else :) what i personally do: place the bpm line at the first note of the song, use an online bpm detector thingy and then to double check, i put circles at the start and end of the song in time with the song and if it sounds off then somethings wrong. Hopefully you are mapping a single BPM song otherwise things get more complicated
q5: what i do is make a slider of the shape you want, and rather then converting it, i use distance snap and place the circles over the slider in the play field, so that the shape stays the same but the lowering/increasing distance snap makes the stream deccelerate/accelerate.
q1 is too hard hitsounding is confusing to explain lol

Hope i could help somewhat :)
this was very hepful! just one question- what is distance snap?
lewski
distance snap: