forum

Vtubers songs and DMCA

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
tttiiny
I recently found out that certain maps of Vtubers song is getting unranked due to DMCA. Will this also apply to covered song / non-original songs? Or will it depends on the copyright owner themselves? Though I'm honestly not sure about them having copyright for covered songs (I could be wrong).

But then again I'm not entirely informed on the situation so I might be doing something stupid with this post. Any thoughts and tips will be appreciated.
Sophie Twilight
Does this also include to VTuber's BGM? That's gonna be a huge bummer if so
THAT_otaku
People avoid copyright on their osu videos by using covers lol so I'm assuming they can't do anything if it's not their original song.
There's nothing you can do really though, if they own the song then you can't use it without their permission, end of story sadly.

- Mahiro - wrote:

If they own the rights to the bgm then yes probably.
Topic Starter
tttiiny

THAT_otaku wrote:

People avoid copyright on their osu videos by using covers lol so I'm assuming they can't do anything if it's not their original song.
There's nothing you can do really though, if they own the song then you can't use it without their permission, end of story sadly.

- Mahiro - wrote:

ah i see. thanks!
epic man 2

THAT_otaku wrote:

- Mahiro - wrote:

The original artist can still DMCA recompositions of their songs because it is still their original property in the tirst place.
THAT_otaku
Of course, I think everyone and myself was meaning that the people making the covers (probably) cant do that though.
roufou
While I'm not a legal expert, I'm quite certain you can DMCA covers you made, even if they're covers and you don't fully own the rights to the song. There are probably exceptions though, like if the song you covered goes under creative commons or something.

I guess I could be wrong, though...
Topic Starter
tttiiny

femboy mapper wrote:

While I'm not a legal expert, I'm quite certain you can DMCA covers you made, even if they're covers and you don't fully own the rights to the song. There are probably exceptions though, like if the song you covered goes under creative commons or something.

I guess I could be wrong, though...
oh darn