forum

[Guideline]Mania diff spread

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
woc2006
It's just an idea.
Assume that the general diffculty of 4K easy is less than 5K easy, and 5K easy< 6K easy < 7K easy < 8K easy
Assume that 8K easy< 4K normal in general playing skill requirement level.
Let diffculty of 4K easy be 1, so, we can get a relative difficulty level (RDL) table:
          4K  5K  6K  7K  8K
easy 1 2 3 4 5
normal 6 7 8 9 10
hard 11 12 13 14 15
insane 16 17 18 19 20
max 21 22 23 24 25
Then we can make guideline with the table: RDL difference of every two adjacent diff in your mapset should be kept under 6(<=6)
Examples:
mapset A: 4K easy(1)+7K easy(4)+7K normal(9)+7K hard(14)+ 7K insane(19) <-----Accept
mapset B: 4K easy(1)+7K normal(9)+7K insane(19) <-----Deny,because 19-9=10 > 7 and 9-1=8>7
mapset C: 7K normal(9)+7K hard(14)+7K max(24) <----- Deny, 24-14 =10>7
mapset D: 4K easy(1)+5K normal(7)+6K hard(13)+7K insane(19) <----Accept
Garven
Sounds fine to me, though are there specific techniques that are frowned upon depending on difficulty level? Example: sliders ending on 1/2 snap arent okay in east, but okay in normal. Double hits are okay in easy, triple in normal, etc.

Maybe defining some of these traits can help determine difficulty level tiers as well.
Maiz94
If by only 7K like example :

Easy + Normal + Hard + Insane + Max

Is it acceptable?
[CSGA]Ar3sgice
this is too complicated, how could osu! players understand this
Agka
it's not the players who are supposted to understand this.

but i like it, it's fairly clear what's what if you're into it.
Topic Starter
woc2006

ishimaru94 wrote:

Is it acceptable?
Sure acceptable, the difference between them is 5.
Topic Starter
woc2006

Garven wrote:

Sounds fine to me, though are there specific techniques that are frowned upon depending on difficulty level? Example: sliders ending on 1/2 snap arent okay in east, but okay in normal. Double hits are okay in easy, triple in normal, etc.

Maybe defining some of these traits can help determine difficulty level tiers as well.
It's much complex, I'd like to have another thread to discuss this.
Maiz94

woc2006 wrote:

ishimaru94 wrote:

Is it acceptable?
Sure acceptable, the difference between them is 5.
Ah, now I understand on how this is works. You already stated that,

woc2006 wrote:

your mapset should be kept under 6(<=6)
This would make the mapset looks arranged in order.
Rumia-
i don't quite understand this D: can explain me a little bit details? =\
Topic Starter
woc2006

- R u m i a - wrote:

That is, when you making a mania mapset, suppose you want to have 2diff, the first one is 7K easy, look at the table, 7K easy = 4, so your second diff's level number should between 4 to 10 in the table, they are: 8K easy, 4K normal to 8K normal.
Rumia-

woc2006 wrote:

- R u m i a - wrote:

That is, when you making a mania mapset, suppose you want to have 2diff, the first one is 7K easy, look at the table, 7K easy = 4, so your second diff's level number should between 4 to 10 in the table, they are: 8K easy, 4K normal to 8K normal.
oh i see.
xxbidiao
Don't underestimate 4key!
Key amount is completely not revelant to difficulty. (Usually, at the same difficulty, higher key amount maps would have nearly the same notes as the low key amount maps, making it even easier to be played.)

I prefer to remove the key amount, only considering difficulty.
easy=1 normal=2 hard=3 insane=4 MX=5
and no difficulties gap >=2. (max 1)
e.g. easy+hard+MX = OK
easy+insane = NG
normal+MX = NG
normal+insane+MX=OK
though we may want to put another rule on hard+MX?

Garven wrote:

Mania difficulties are normally not depending on snapping gap; they are mostly decided by the instrument used in the map, and the pattern of the map because of multi-rail playing fashion.
With everything on the 1/1 downbeat, a map is completely possible to be treated as insane, but a map with a few 1/4s may still be able to be ranked as normal.
zanzanktoop

Garven wrote:

Bobbias

xxbidiao wrote:

Don't underestimate 4key!
Key amount is completely not revelant to difficulty. (Usually, at the same difficulty, higher key amount maps would have nearly the same notes as the low key amount maps, making it even easier to be played.)

Mania difficulties are normally not depending on snapping gap; they are mostly decided by the instrument used in the map, and the pattern of the map because of multi-rail playing fashion.
With everything on the 1/1 downbeat, a map is completely possible to be treated as insane, but a map with a few 1/4s may still be able to be ranked as normal.
I agree with your sentiment. 4k should not be underestimated.

Here's something to consider: Switching from 4k to 6k may be easier for many players than 4k to 5k, because the addition of the spacebar is very different from the addition of 2 more standard keys right beside the keys for 4k. In effect, the difference between a 4k easy and a 6k normal might actually be less than this chart suggests.

However, overall I like this idea. Its simple to understand if it's explained properly and it doesn't place too any extreme restrictions on what you can do. It's overall a good guideline.
DJKero
This is something I don't see very useful or great, but if you're going to do it no matter what like peppy and the other staff does justified of the democracy that here is very easy to win because of the brainwashed players, just keep in mind that 6k is somehow easier to the standard of the players, than 5k... so i would swap the order, being:

4K 6K 5K 7K 8K

And I don't say to swap 8k (AKA IIDX Mode) to the 3rd place, because its obsiously known that 8k isn't really 8k, It's Scratch/Special + 7k and it's a world aside...

Opinion:
(For me is a mode that only should be fully playable to IIDX controller owners, and Beatmappers should take that in count to the time of making their beatmaps.)

Also, off-topic'ing a bit: when you'll add 9K?? (AKA Pop'n Mode)

This is something I really want to get added, basically because I'll be something we never experienced before, Pop'n Multiplayer Online, this will impulse me to buy a Pop'n ASC more than having Tune Street (19th Style) running in my PC with e-amusement and all the stuff... (Yeah, I have it.)
Ephemeral
Any thoughts on solidifying this as the o!m difficulty spread regulation rule?
Topic Starter
woc2006

Ephemeral wrote:

Any thoughts on solidifying this as the o!m difficulty spread regulation rule?
almost abandoned. I'll lock this topic.