forum

Choice of "No Rank" (NR) [invalid]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Oinari-sama
REQUEST

Basically allow a player to choose NOT to get ranked at all. The player will have [NR] displayed when playing online instead of a global ranking.

INB4s:
  1. I understand that practice mod has been requested and denied many times before. This Request is not about a mod, but a choice of not being ranked in the first place.
  2. Playing offline is not an option here. This Request aims to help those who wants to play Multiplayer but do not want to be ranked.

Right! With inb4s out of the way, lets talk about this Request.

I understand that this is not going to be mainstream, as all the hypes nowadays revolve around more competitive rankings and issues regarding pp etc. I am making this Request for people who just want to ENJOY the game rather than being competitive.

How this works

The player is offered a choice of not being ranked AT ALL. This can be implemented by ticking a check box in the user settings page on forum.

Once activated, the user enters NR mode where he stops gaining pp while pp still decays away normally. No rank will be displayed for the player either on forum or in game except the NR tag. Player stats such as acc%, SS/S/A/B/C/D and scores (Level) are still tracked.

This applies to both Single and Multiplayer mode.

To discourage abuse (eg turn on NR for practise round, turn off when going for ranking), once NR is activated it cannot be switched off for a minimum of 4 weeks. This is a feature for people who genuinely do not wish to be ranked, not a tool for farmers.

Why would anyone want this?

This is for people who wants to enjoy the game without being compared to others in a global ranking system.

Very often in Multiplayer, people judge others by their Rank and Acc%. Some players enjoy being in the spot light while a minority hate to be scrutinised. For people who just want to enjoy the game, the Rank may attract unwanted attention and expectations. eg:
  1. A 4-digit enters a room full of 5-digit players. Good chance of being kicked
  2. A higher ranked player plays no mod in a room with a mix of 4-6 digit players. People starts asking questions.
Playing offline is the only option for a user to avoid getting ranked at the moment. But what about people who enjoys playing Multiplayer games? The only way to avoid getting ranked is to fail the song (at some stage). Occasionally the player may forget to fail (if the song/map is good) and have to suffer the consequences.

Having a [NR] status gets around the problem.

EDIT: Edited Request title.
theowest
I really don't see why any ranked rank wouldn't be ranked.. How can it hurt to get scores and influence your accuracy, etc?
Topic Starter
Oinari-sama
It's people's expectation.

I really like multiplayer mode, and I normally choose the room based on what music they're playing. Like the example given in the OP, I get kicked rather often because of my rank.

While I don't really care about my rank in Single player mode, it is for me nothing but nuisance in multiplayer. It will be nice to have an option not to be ranked at all.
TakuMii
I know people who play offline exclusively just because they don't want any of their scores showing up on their profile, so this might be a nice option.
TheAussie
OH gawd yes plz add this :) i would give you stars but i have none lol

then i can practice without looking bad :D
Tshemmp
I don't understand how you can care about people caring about your rank. (Never happened to me to get kicked out of a room because "my rank was too high".) Really, stop giving so many f*cks and life will become much easier.
VoidnOwO
:)
peppy
Nope.
Twaintoss

Tshemmp wrote:

I don't understand how you can care about people caring about your rank. (Never happened to me to get kicked out of a room because "my rank was too high".) Really, stop giving so many f*cks and life will become much easier.
First of all pretty much that.

I was NEVER kicked because I was too "good/bad", I got kicked sometimes for mistakenly entering foreign country's (language's) rooms and that's just okay.

Next thing, do you really WANT to play with people CARING about your Rank? Yes? Pretty sad...

osu! is basically MMO (Massive Multiplayer Online (Rhythm Game, that is)), and every MMO is competitive.
So there's a reason these Rankings exist in the first place.

Seriously, If you want to do that just use the "PERFECT" mod.
Then IF you get Ranked, you would complain because of SS/SSH and then there is NOTHING to complain about!

peppy wrote:

Nope.
That settles it...
Topic Starter
Oinari-sama
Well since the man himself denied this idea, there's no more need for me to spend time on explaining stuff.

Thread can be closed.