forum

Standard Mapping (place to ask questions about it!)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Sugar_owo
If you need help with Osu! Standard basic starter mapping problems then I'm here to help! Don't be afraid to ask questions here as i will most likely answer in a 1-3 at the most hour
time, if I'm not asleep haha! I'll also be open to testing maps too! (forgot to add this, but PM me instead for your maps because i have a high chance of not seeing them! thank you, and sorry for the inconvenience.)

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

The basic of the basics of mapping in Osu! Standard are included here before you ask to not waste your time!: (keep in mind these may not work as intended, so contact me on here so i can help with more in depth detail!)
-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Finding a good start to the map;

Q; How do i put my selected song into a Osu beat map?
A; Have your file folder open (press windows key and click on the file folder at the bottom of your screen) move that over so you can see the "Drag MP3 Here slot, then click and drag the selected song over!

Q; I can't find a good BPM in my map!
A; I recommend hitting something (lightly) to the song to a beat until you find something you really like! Then, add that into your map and you should be good to go! (this may take a bit)

Getting to start the map;

Q; I don't know how to make different lines that just straight ones with the sliders D:
A; Click on the left side of your mouse, make a line in any direction can be as long as you want), then click the left side of your mouse again, go in a different direction, and start making other lines and stuff!

Q; I can't get the map on timing and I don't know how to fix it D:
A; Make sure you have a good BPM, and then move around basic notes and make either the sliders or spinners shorter or longer! Add more notes or remove notes if you need to.

You're getting there!

Q; How do I make my map all fancy? (includes lots of fancy stuff :D)
A; For lots of fancy stuff, go to song set up, and look slightly above the song creator, you should see stuff that says the answers to what you are most likely looking for! (if not just ask me and there will be no problemo)

Q; How do i make multiple difficulties?
A; Go to the top left corner of your screen, click "File" look at what the stuff says and there should be a "Create a new difficulty" option! Change the difficulty name and then you're good to go!

I'm done, so what do i do?

Haha congratulations! You finished.. oh wait. there is still more!

Q; I'm satisfied, so what else is needed?
A; Oh there is tons more my friend! Just the basic parts of it can help your map be more enjoyable! Here are some ways you can add more excitement to your map!

1; Kiai! Kiai is to show the map is at it's best part and shows a time for the user to shine! in this map created by Mokobe beatmapsets/1125793#taiko/2352261 at 32 seconds, the map shows Kiai! And is all fancy! This is by far one of my favorite features to use!
To use Kiai, At the exact time you want it, press (CTRL+SHIFT+P) at the same time to have a menu pop up, click on "Style" And press "KIAI" if you cannot press kiai, go to where the Kiai should end and press (CTRL+SHIFT+P) and then go back to where is should begin, click the same buttons again, press a red X close to the bottom of the box, and it should take you to the time you want the kiai to start, then go to Style and click "KIAI" Congratulations!! You've just added "Kiai" into your map!

2; EDIT:(thank you Lewski for reminding me hah) only do this if your song changes the BPM. Faster and Slower parts of your song! This can very much add more interest to the map! If you decide to do this, You will have to note you will have to re arrange the notes you put down and make them smaller if you make the song slower for sliders and spinners!
If you chose to add this feature, go to the time you want to add this, press (CTRL+SHIFT+P) then click the box that has a check mark in the bottom and un checkmark it. After you did that, look over and click timing, then look at BPM, and make it as slow/fast as it is to go with that BPM change! Click "OK" and then go to the time you want it to end. Do the same instructions but at the instead of making the BPM slow/fast, put it back to the normal BPM of the beat map! Congratulations, you just added another cool thing!

Great job! you have officially learned the most basic questions i could answer! Please be safe and take care in this time!

If you have any other questions, please do NOT message my account, as of say something in a post here so everyone can see it and not waste there precious time commenting!

Ryoko
this goes over a lot of the things i had trouble with when i started mapping, i love this post
DeletedUser_13957006
how do place circle
lewski

Sugar_owo wrote:

Make a line in any direction 9can be as long as you want), then let go of the button you held
You don't hold down anything to make sliders. You click once to beging making the slider and click again for each additional anchor.

Sugar_owo wrote:

Faster and Slower parts of your song!
Do not do this. Changing timing to differ from the song completely arbitrarily like this ("look at BPM, and make it as slow/fast as you want") is just insane. If the song's bpm doesn't change, doing this will only make it harder to match your objects to the song. If you just want slower or faster sliders, keep the checkmark in the box and change the slider velocity multiplier instead of the bpm. If you want faster rhythms, use a different beat snap divisor (top right of the editor). You should only change the bpm if the song's tempo actually changes.
Topic Starter
Sugar_owo

Aiq wrote:

how do place circle
You click the left button on your mouse :D

Sugar_owo wrote:
Faster and Slower parts of your song!

"Do not do this. Changing timing to differ from the song completely arbitrarily like this ("look at BPM, and make it as slow/fast as you want") is just insane. If the song's bpm doesn't change, doing this will only make it harder to match your objects to the song. If you just want slower or faster sliders, keep the checkmark in the box and change the slider velocity multiplier instead of the bpm. If you want faster rhythms, use a different beat snap divisor (top right of the editor). You should only change the bpm if the song's tempo actually changes."

and thank you alexa :D

Ah yes sorry I forgot to add that I'm stupid haha. You are right though, you really should only add it if the BPM chnages in the song.
- David
i had a question but i read your first post and figured it out myself. thank you so much for doing this
blad3mast3r
If you're still open to testing maps in addition to answering questions, this is my first attempt at a proper beatmap. Any feedback or tips would be greatly appreciated. Also if you know of other threads/modding queues for brand new mappers I'd love to hear about them.

beatmapsets/1382144#osu/2855684

Thanks!
THAT_otaku
Maybe they're harder to find but there's sill plenty of beginner friendly mod queues. In the future you can always post in mine :) (link can be found in my profile i'm lazy lol)
blad3mast3r

THAT_otaku wrote:

Maybe they're harder to find but there's sill plenty of beginner friendly mod queues. In the future you can always post in mine :) (link can be found in my profile i'm lazy lol)
Thanks for the tip, I'll head over there!