forum

Toggles within skin.ini to restore old circle animation [invalid]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +446
show more
kriers

RBRat3 wrote:

I didn't place blame, I simply stated that there was an opportunity that could have been taken.
You talk as if the decision is final. You're even telling us what we should've done when most of us didn't even know such an opportunity even existed, let alone we had to take it. As things stand I just want a toggle. :/
RBRat3

kriers wrote:

RBRat3 wrote:

I didn't place blame, I simply stated that there was an opportunity that could have been taken.
You talk as if the decision is final. You're even telling us what we should've done when most of us didn't even know such an opportunity even existed, let alone we had to take it. As things stand I just want a toggle. :/
It may or may not be final, That's not up to me but when you become a supporter that opportunity was always there to help make osu! better when it comes to changes before it hits public.
TheVileOne
I like the changes. The new slider bodies are strange for the default skin, but they are just like the skin I like to use, so it doesn't even bother me. The new hitbursts increase visibility. It's a welcomed change. Perhaps there should be an option to use old defaults elements for pre-existing maps though. The new slider bodies may negatively affect certain maps.
theowest

TheVileOne wrote:

The new slider bodies may negatively affect certain maps.
How?
Kodora
Sliders can be changed back manually using skin.ini
Rokk
Why not get it over with and implement a toggle for stuff like falling X's and the slider ticks fading in now? Some maps give you a choice between either heavy memorization OR reading SV changes by slider ticks, which gets really hard when the ticks AREN'T THERE. So why force this on us? The falling X's annoy me to no end, and they annoy me even more when trying to play Taiko.

It makes me really lose faith in the dev when a lot of people are complaining about a specific thing and the developer just goes "Nope, not changing it.".

There's definitely good stuff in the new UI, but why swap something great out for something inferior? The new menus are completely fine and such, but at least implement a toggle for stuff some people tend to not like. That way, everybody wins. People who like the new stuff can use it, and the people who would like to play Taiko with any degree of decency can, too.
LoGo

Silynn wrote:

hitburst changes -- when I hit something (without hidden on), the hit feels "empty"

TechnikaFlash wrote:

I have to say, that the hits really feel like I don't get any "feedback", like this popping up...but I played a lot on the testbuild, like theowest (in the post above this) and I'm getting used to it.
1 page was enough...

I don't know how long it will take to get used to but even before i could barely play freedom dive but now... omg... it feels like you are not hitting streams at all (and to hold that insane flow with completely new feel(or to be precise "nothing")... ok, not not gonna mention how it distracts
Please, just add in skin.ini CircleFade: 1-2 and everyone is happy.
_koinuri
I didn't even notice these changes until I read this thread (then again, I sometimes don't even notice beatmaps overriding my skin). I'm pretty sure you guys will get used to it pretty quickly.
ZERO_reel
i still don't get the new spinner
the old: there's a little circle moving toward the center which mark the end
the new gets big the use probability?
laport

Silynn wrote:

falling "X's" on miss -- makes me feel like I failed the map (seriously it feels like sudden death is on whenever I miss a note)

hitburst changeshit lighting >< -- when I hit something (without hidden on), the hit feels "empty" < I cannot agree more
new slider ticks - these are not useful for reading before hand, the size increasing is very eyecatching and distracting yes, animation is nice but ticks should appear earlier, or all at the same time on a slider, while still fading in nicely but much earlier, to being able to read speed changes
I hope a toggle will be added, I am happy that osu! is being developed heavily, but transition-wise it would be better this way.

I have noticed that I always press game mode instead of mods now, but F1 is the good alternative and I've adapted to this method of selecting mods.

I've tried to use the template v3 but it only removes the slider ticks, it doesn't bring back the old ones.
NixXSkate
The new default skin is very pretty and sharp, but unfortunately I feel it's more of a novelty and doesn't work well when a player is being challenged with a fast paced song. Furthermore, I feel that the style of the skin isn't as universally acceptable being used in maps as the previous default, but rather it's for maps with dark, cool colored backgrounds.
If the default style isn't going to be changed for over a year, I believe people should have the ability to use all the previous skins properly, as they were intended when created. (Or at least make it changeable to previous settings)
I understand that if you give players the optional choice of the previous default that they may never bother to get accustomed to the newer, sharper looking skin, but the skin is creating a problem for readability. The simplicity of the previous skin was very lovable, and probably more beginner friendly as well.
Problems that players face with the new skin include:

The hitbursts: Although they look awesome, the 300s and 100s look similar when being distracted by oncoming notes (This is probably the biggest problem I have with the skin). With the previous skin, the players could easily catch the color of the score while under a heavy barrage of circles, but these hitbursts are mostly colorless. A great improvement, however with these new hitbursts in comparison to the old ones however is how much easier it is to spot a stacked note after it.

The circles no longer enlarge: This was a really cool feature that really gave great feedback when hitting notes. The first thing I noticed when I started playing osu! was that I absolutely loved the feedback while playing this game. It's a great feature that should definitely be at least optional.

The spinner: This spinner looks sweet, but a huge problem is that there's no approach circle telling you when it's going to end (maybe this is a glitch?). There's also no bars on the side telling you when there's going to be a bonus either (not that having bars is necessarily a big deal, but the spinner is giving you no indication of how long it is). The flashing white within the spinners circle can also make it hard to see your mostly white and blue cursor on a blue spinner, but the idea of the spinner actually having a visual feedback like that for spinner bonuses is a really cool concept.

The slider: I believe that this new slider is optional if I recall, but a problem I ran into with these sliders is that they make overlapping sliders really hard. Especially when combined with the fading-in sliderticks.

The miss animation: This doesn't bother me too much, I think it's nice to see how the new skin makes all the elements seem really active, but I can see why it might bother people. Aside from it looking like the same effect as when you fail (people can adapt to that), it might confuse someone on a jumpy pattern, since the position of the X is moving from where it was previously hit. Since it might confuse some people, it is another feature that should be optional.
Charles445
Hey, popping in to give the reasons why I am looking for the true old skin as a selectable option.

Miss burst has gravity and falls. This is a rather distracting addition that can't be removed with a custom skin.

Hitburst color scheme and design is misleading
I'm going to go in depth on this one.

The color and size scheme of the old hitbursts is phenomenal.
Everything is color and size coded to show how you're doing in a beatmap.
300s are represented as warm, orange. This 'warm' color is pleasant to look at and contrasts with the 'cold' colors of 100s and 50s (green and blue).
50s are different from 100s via its size. This makes distinguishing 100s and 50s easy.

The new skin is all cool colors, the exception being the 50. They are the same size. It is extremely difficult to tell the difference between a 300 and a 100 in the midst of everything. A simple fix would be to color the 300 orange. Seriously.

Hitbursts do not bounce. The old hitbursts had a bounce to them. They got big, small, then big again. It was very satisfying and had a huge impact, allowing the player to easily gauge when they clicked. The new ones aren't terrible, they are just not nearly as bouncy as the previous.

The play button is not aligned with the solo button anymore. A quick double click to get into the action is met with failure.

'
Slider ticks no longer help in determining the speed of a slider. Fast and slow sliders are now indistinguishable because of the fading in ticks. Being able to see ticks before the slider is played is extremely important!

A thick black ring is drawn around the beginning of sliders. It's jarring to see it bolded and it disconnects the slider start from the rest of the slider.
RBRat3
Figured Id mention that if the falling X bothersome to you that you can always make your own animations which aren't prone to in-game motions...

Simple as copying the template hit0 and slapping in a hit0-0 and hit0-1 or you can be more constructive and make a full sequence of your own ;)
Topic Starter
ryza

RBRat3 wrote:

Figured Id mention that if the falling X bothersome to you that you can always make your own animations which aren't prone to in-game motions...

Simple as copying the template hit0 and slapping in a hit0-0 and hit0-1 or you can be more constructive and make a full sequence of your own ;)
If this is possible to do with skin customization, then that is fine

However, because you haven't released the template for the new default, no one was aware of this. I think the tone you used in this post was a little unnecessary.

Also, the misses are not the only problem and definitely not the biggest problem.
Rokk
Definitely have to agree with the new hitbursts not being informative enough. The old ones made it very easy to distinguish between 300's, 100's and 50's, and the new ones do not.
Loves
The falling miss icons are what bugs me the most

+1 support
Rokk
Gave it some thought, and it seems osu! is moving away from being an improved Ouendan clone, what with the new spinners and slider ticks. Shame, really.
ILBE_old
I want the option function

Go back to the old days

The option to use the 3.19 patch previously Skin

Since the patch I hate

Therefore, the option you want

For I beg earnestly, I hope

ps.

English is wrong

So I used a translator
Futurola
Am I the only one who really luv the new osu!?
frfrfr_old

Aqo wrote:

One thing I don't understand is,
why try to fix things that weren't broken?

the old Miss style was GOOD. Why the hell change it?
the old slider tick style was GOOD. Why touch it?
the old scoreboard menu was GOOD. Why change anything? to annoy people?
the old pie was fine. Why put a dot in the middle? you think we're not smart enough to know where the middle is?

+100500.

If you are adding unnecessary crap because _you_ think this good idea, this doesnt mean that others think the same about this "features". And this update looks as imposing their tastes to others, because it is not possible to change back.
RBRat3

Silynn wrote:

If this is possible to do with skin customization, then that is fine

However, because you haven't released the template for the new default, no one was aware of this. I think the tone you used in this post was a little unnecessary.

Also, the misses are not the only problem and definitely not the biggest problem.
The ability to do animations on certain emelents has been around for a few months and information about it was in the threads as well as the changelog. Using a template alone wouldn't have made anyone easily aware of that function since single image animations are handled by the game unless there is the presence of an image sequence for elements with that ability.
Topic Starter
ryza
Ah, I wasn't aware that it would animate automatically if there was only one image. I don't know much about skinning in the first place. However, I do think information being merely available isn't necessarily good enough, as no one in this thread was aware you could remove the falling misses through skinning. I also think it would have been helpful for you to state that in the first place, if you were aware it was possible.

In any case, it's still not the biggest problem at hand, so this doesn't really change much.
UnderminE
That thing was not selected and here is my poor nexus:
Arian_old_1
I can definitely agree.
The new hit lightning, or should I say lack of it, really doesn't give me any feel that i'm actually hitting the note and it just doesn't look as good as before.
Slider ticks are now completely useless since you can't see them before time and they are also hard to see.
The falling x's are distracting and they make it harder to continue playing after missing especially on streams.

You have my support with this.
Kynan
I agree as well, it juste feels like I don't even hit the note... + the falling miss is really distracting.
pixeldesu

RBRat3 wrote:

Doing the same thing like this with the hit300/100/50's and making some "pop-up" animation would fix the problem of some players here, too. I know it is a hell of work, but it would be a hotfix for this 'problem'.
Enzo_old

LoGo wrote:

Please, just add in skin.ini CircleFade: 1-2 and everyone is happy.
yes please!!
karma_komodo
This skin is completely broken now: t/98455
also, hit-lightings are a lot smaller and stop growing. thats ok if you have a faded circle like the default skin, but when using a shiny circunference like this: http://puu.sh/2laD3 , it loses its beauty.

new animations are ok with the new skin, but make older skins to not be as enjoyable as before...
SKIN.INI is the best solution!!!
Kodora
New problem: osu! logo in menu completly overlaps your rank in any game resolution, it just cant be correct.

People must be able to choose version what they like and play with it, why just "no"? Why?
Xhez2slash
I liked the old osu soft corners, is there anyway to switch to that?
Arnold0

Futurola wrote:

Am I the only one who really luv the new osu!?
No you aren't, I was plying with invi 300's and now I play with deffault (with just custom menu-button-backgrond and menu sounds), but people just don't accept change, I already know this kind of drama when a game I played before had a major update that make a huge part of the comunity quit because they don't like new UI etc... And it looks like there is always guys complaining when some program they use change.
ztrot
hell I just released a new skin under this new format I don't mind it one bit if you want stronger or larger hit lighting make it, it isn't to hard guys and it isn't like this skin is forced I have problems with it myself but you get used to it or you try something different they worked really hard and brought a shit ton of great features to the table.
keegster2
There is a problem with the ranking screen. When I finish a Map with my favorite Skin, the WarioWare Skin, flawlessly, Doctor Crygor is seen on the bottom-left of the ranking screen, with the word "Flawless" next to him. (Sorry for the weird description. I don't know how to put it any other way.) now, it's looks like this. I would much prefer the back button to be where it used to be: Below the Retry and Replay buttons.

However, I like the "Background of Map you played is showed on results screen" Feature, it's a lot better than the bland blue background.

EDIT: Just noticed that you can scroll the results screen down, so it's not as big as an issue.
Ohrami

Cookiezi agrees with us :D

Omnatus
I miss my pretty explosions...

STARS STARS EVERYWHERE.

But on an actual serious note I do feel like it should have been a toggle to keep both sides happy, rather than pleasing one or the other, personally I do feel a subtle difference although its harder for me to tell because i need to improve first before I can say for sure that it hinders mine and other peoples plays.

But it really feels like it does, and the feel of it all is kind of an important thing, at least to me and some other gamers that the feel of a game and how it plays isn't just restricted to Osu and spans into a lot of other game genres like Shooters and RPG. It could be better or worse than what it used to be but It should be down to the players to choose if they want it or not, some did and some really did not, only thing you can realistically do is keep both happy.
theowest
The slider ticks recently changed now so they're much easier to read and personally I love how the bounce up a bit to the rhythm.
Dazzy
I like the skin in every way, all of it! There was so much potential to how the skinning could wind up being! I have asked some peoples where those who did not like it never gave a reason directly, but eventually getting a proper explenation from them they said something like "It's different!". This I just find so silly that probably the majority of the players whom disliked the new skin because it is different!

There is also so many who loved the elements to the skin, personally I would love to have a option to have all the intended skin elements!
Ohrami
It's like you didn't read the OP.
jesse1412

Kyou-kun wrote:

It's like you didn't read the OP.
Raging Bull
I just dont like how circle don't expand anymore when clicked.
show more