forum

Why are overlaps/stacks discouraged in easy difficulties?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Fluton
The ranking criteria states that these can be "confusing" for new players, but what does that mean exactly?
I'm aware it's a guideline and not a rule, but it still warrants questioning as to why it's frowned upon.
Is there any evidence to support the fact that overlaps/stacks are hard to play for beginner players?

Edit: I should've been more clear and mentioned I'm referring to maps lower than 1.99*.
The type of maps you play after first finishing the Osu! Tutorial.
WitherMite
lewski
The current low diff RC is the product of a fair amount of research, so I'm perfectly willing to take it at face value. If you want cold, hard data, though, your best bet is to contact the people who did that research. Myxo is the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

In any case, the players these kinds of diffs are made for have at most a few hours of experience in the game, so they haven't had the time to actually learn how pretty much anything works. Fully showing each object minimises the mental effort required to read what's going on in the map and allows the player to just focus on learning how to click circles and drag sliders.

WitherMite wrote:

home/search?mode=forum_post&query=stacks&username=&forum_id=13
why would you post this lol all the results are about 1/4 in higher diffs
Topic Starter
Fluton

lewski wrote:

Fully showing each object minimises the mental effort required to read what's going on in the map and allows the player to just focus on learning how to click circles and drag sliders.
I somewhat agree with the point above, but the main reason I ask this question is because of rhythm usage in these difficulties. In higher diffs for example, overlaps/stacks are sometimes used to make certain rhythms more readable/playable to the player. They can also be used to differentiate awkward rhythms when spacing changes aren't enough to contrast them. In easy difficulties, note density is very low with a lot of time between notes and certain songs may have complex rhythms that make it difficult to map in a simple, straightfoward way.
Endaris

Fluton wrote:

lewski wrote:

Fully showing each object minimises the mental effort required to read what's going on in the map and allows the player to just focus on learning how to click circles and drag sliders.
I somewhat agree with the point above, but the main reason I ask this question is because of rhythm usage in these difficulties. In higher diffs for example, overlaps/stacks are sometimes used to make certain rhythms more readable/playable to the player. They can also be used to differentiate awkward rhythms when spacing changes aren't enough to contrast them. In easy difficulties, note density is very low with a lot of time between notes and certain songs may have complex rhythms that make it difficult to map in a simple, straightfoward way.
Just map the rhythms in a simple and straightforward way. Utilising 3/4 repeats as well as ignoring "complex rhythms" in favor of other rhythms present are things that work for pretty much every song out there.

Essentially, the techniques used in higher diffs should not be used here because the player is not as familiar with hitobjects yet and they might be unable to understand what is happening.