forum

Not following rhythms in ranked maps and rare snap divisor

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Juuuuuuuuul
Hi.
As far as i know, objects in ranked maps should follow the rhythms to fit the music.

Here in this example, nothing in the music is fitting this 1/6 combo.
Same stuff happen multiple times in the map. (this map is ranked)

Following correctly the violin here would be perfectly playable,
can someone explain why mappers sometimes are choosing to not follow the music ?
And why is this acceptable for rank ? (BNs said nothing about it in the map discussion)

i can understand simplifications like, using 1/4 on 1/8 or 1/6 on 1/12,
because all the objects are still synchronized to the music,
but in this example, it's not.

There is what is doing the violin (edited to fit the music) :
Is strictly following the music, implying use of rare beat snap divisor, not acceptable ?
What are ranking criteria saying about this ?

I'm mapping occasionally,
but i'm curious about this kind of stuff because i'm planning to make maps more often in the future.

Thanks for reading :)
lewski

Ranking criteria wrote:

All circles and slider heads should be snapped to distinct sounds in the music. Adding hit objects where there is no musical cue to justify them can result in unfitting rhythms.
Note the word "should"; this is a guideline, so it can be ignored if "not ignoring it will interfere with the overall quality of the creation". One common reason to do so is additive rhythm: rhythm that doesn't exist in the song but still fits. Explaining when and how it works would be super off-topic here, but it's a widely accepted way to create emphasis and just generally spice things up.

In this case, though, we're clearly looking at a simplification of the song's rhythm. As you said, septuplets are rare, so the mapper may have decided that following the song exactly would be too ass to play for what they were going for in the map. Triplets are a lot more common, so it's way easier for players to recognise a rhythm as 1/3 or 1/6 compared to 1/7. 1/6 and 1/7 are also really close to each other, so players are unlikely to notice the difference. Hell, the mapper and BNs may have missed it themselves. The 1/5, 1/7, and 1/9 divisors are really new additions to the editor; before they were added, you had to do some shenanigans in order to use them, which didn't exactly encourage mappers to consider them when figuring out snapping.
abraker
At least in mania, my experience of not following note snapping 1:1 has been modders complaining the snap is wrong. RC rules may have changed since I tried ranking those maps, but I believe those opinions would remain and I have doubts in trying to push the maps again.

Generally I believe you are at the mercy of whether someone happens to come across your map who is persistent and doesn't like this concept.

@OP It would help if you linked the map. I don't know the map you have in screenshot, so I can't lookup the modding discussion to know whether there was a decision regarding that section or whether it was overlooked.
WitherMite
beatmapsets/808334#osu/1696290
I think this is the map they are talking about
abraker
ooooooo now I see what this is about. The map is mapped in 1/6 but the notes are in 1/7. Yea I think this is a case of 1/7 snap divisors not existing back then and modders considering 1/6 to be good enough.

This makes my prev post largely invalid to this case.
Topic Starter
Juuuuuuuuul
I see,

If i understand correctly,
the issue in this example is because rare snap divisors did not exist when the map was created.

Thanks for the answers everyone !