forum

More realistic AI mode [invalid]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Element118
The current AI mode seems quite unrealistic as the mouse moves from one point to another at a constant speed.

Normal players instead do the following:

• 1. Speed up
    2. Move quickly
    3. Slow down
    4. Might stop at the circle/slider because they are too fast
    5. Hit the circle/slider
This will help in mapping as the mappers can see how someone might play the map. I would suggest an AI where:

• 1. The maximum speed of the AI is settable (v)
    2. The reaction time of the AI is settable (r)
    3. The acceleration of the AI is settable (a)
(Notation: time between 2 beats: t)

The first 1/4 of the time between 2 beats should be spent speeding up to maximum speed and the last 1/4 of the time is spent slowing down to 0 speed. This gives about a maximum distance of 3v(t-r)/4. This can help in ensuring that easy maps are definitely easy and a fairly good score can be achieved with a low velocity. Please inform me if this has been already suggested.
[Kanzaki Ranko]
This would be quite unrealistic, IMO. As bad as it is atm.
For example, I move the mouse 95% of the time while playing, even on jumps I won't stop moving. On some patterns, I move in a constant curve instead of two lines and stopping on each circle.
There are a lot of variables. Noone who plays this decently (as in, can clear most insanes) will stop moving on streams, for example. These would have to be detected by AI, which makes stuff way harder to program than it seems.
[CSGA]Ar3sgice
I don't agree 0,0 I think auto should sell more moe instead of more realistic!
jemhuntr
it just sounds nice to implement, but it will take too much effort to polish so it actually looks nice. The work wouldn't be worth the result. So, not now. There's a lot of other things that osu! can have right now.
TheVileOne
I thought this was done so player's couldn't easily use auto mod as a template for an autoaim hack. For this reason it should stay this way.
jemhuntr
also, i idolize osu!. i try to mimic his gameplay but with more curves along the way :3
Oinari-sama
I actually have a friend who plays like osu with his tablet. He said "osu is like drawing by connecting dots" and lol it was like watching autoplay (with more misses)
blissfulyoshi
Also, in higher level maps, a lot of mappers (well at least myself) abuse the fact that you don't need to follow to the exact of a slider to get a 300. This allows slider based jumps to be easier than standard circle to circle jumps. Alternatively, the auto follows sliders to the end (as well as some players).

In the end, Auto is not meant to copy human playstyle (and will take a considerable amount of work to copy the many varieties of playstyles). A lot of us just use it as a tool to see how maps flow and how difficult some sections are, so for that purpose, the current Auto is fine imo.
deadbeat
i've seen enough replies now.
i'm gonna deny this now :(
peppy
If you take a look at osu!stream, you'll see that the auto there replicated human movements, and looks pretty awesome. I have considered changing this on osu!, but believe that it would be both overkill, and not actually necessary since you can watch the #1 play by an actual human (which is generally more fun).