forum

[Editor] Widescreen & Mapping Area [added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +4
Topic Starter
theowest
  1. Being able to drag the tools closer to the mapping area. I often click outside the osu! window because it's so close to the edge.
  2. Having the outside area blurred/tinted/with transparency just to indicate that it's not the mapping area. It's not always easy to see where it ends with some backgrounds and this new widescreen support.
  3. Being able to unselect objects clicking outside of the grid: t/115407
Let's discuss.
If you have any suggestions or criticism, please feel free to make a reply about it.
I was just thinking about the widescreen support on gameplay and on editor is just being nonsense. I mean, you have the gameplay and the editor maxed to the widescreen while the play area not. Look at this.

Those highlighted area just does nothing at all, it was just a useless space. The only thing it does is just revealing the background more, and that's all, nothing more. While the background on gameplay and tools on editor can be maxed out to the edge, why the play area doesn't have the same thing?

Well, lemme answer this by myself. We can't have the play area maxed out to widescreen because this will give players with normal screen (4:3) no options.

So, why do we even wants to bother to have a "totally-widescreen" gameplay or editing when it just don't utilized perfectly? I just thinking of returning back to old times where widescreens are still treated just like normal screen did, and there's totally no problems about it, we can still have a perfect gameplay or perfect mapping experience without only some of the gameplay/mapping aspects maxed out to widescreen.

Although I think I can agree to theowest's ideas here, I support them.

And sorry for everything here that you guys can't agree, I'm not an expert in discussions and I just want to say what I want to say here.
Topic Starter
theowest
I fear that would change the way we play. It would be much harder in many cases if beatmaps started to become so much wider. Besides, osu! isn't widescreen by default. It's still a pretty low end game which can be played on many older screens and computers.

It may look very narrow when editing the map, but when you consider all the other skin elements next to the notes, it will fill up the gaps

1600x900 16:9
peppy

theowest wrote:

Besides, osu! isn't widescreen by default.
It is actually, if your monitor supports it.

The argument that there is "unused" areas in the editor is moot, because the alternative is having... unused areas on the other side of controls. This way at least you are seeing exactly what you see in play mode.

I will look at extending the clickable range of tools to work in the widescreen dead areas, though.
peppy
I have modified the behaviour a bit. Marking this as added for now.
Topic Starter
theowest

peppy wrote:

theowest wrote:

Besides, osu! isn't widescreen by default.
It is actually, if your monitor supports it.
I see. I haven't reinstalled osu! in ages..

peppy wrote:

The argument that there is "unused" areas in the editor is moot, because the alternative is having... unused areas on the other side of controls. This way at least you are seeing exactly what you see in play mode.

I will look at extending the clickable range of tools to work in the widescreen dead areas, though.
I guess that's fine, maybe I'll just increase the screen width to cover the two side gaps instead. :p

peppy wrote:

I have modified the behaviour a bit. Marking this as added for now.
can't wait to try it out. :D