forum

Is tech maps getting more generic?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Zelzatter Zero
A while ago, a submission in osu! Anonymous Twitter account stated: "Camellia tech is more generic than anime pp maps". As it is obviously bait since tech definitely takes more effort to make, it still raise a question:

Is tech maps not unique anymore?

In 2014-2016 era, when the definition of tech arises, we can see some groundbreaking maps that not just look pleasing to the eyes, but have some kind of charm to it (rrtyui's EXiT This Earth's Atomosphere as an example), and in 2017-2019 we saw some more with well-executed concept and good patterns. What about now? Do we have any maps that can be put up to those former out there? Almost nothing. Most of them looks like it's just try to replicate the success of all the old ones.

Those above is of course just my subjective opinion here, but I want to make this thread here to see what you guys think about it.
Endaris
It's just pretty difficult in my opinion to find a balance with playing around with SVs.
There are many "tech maps" that completely overdo it or are not cleanly enough executed and are thus not very enjoyable to play in my opinion.
Using extreme SV changes is always like walking on a knife's edge and many mappers simply fall off, often overdoing it because it's cool or something and sacrificing too much of the playability - and yes, especially Camellia songs seem to be predestined to throw everything out of the window for some reason.
I don't think that's something that really changed ever since the style got popular and I also don't think that you can be very innovative about tech maps in the first place. When was it not "generic" in some way?
TheKingHenry
Well, depends on the definitions of generic and unique used here, but by the default meaning of the words, of course the first major breakthrough maps of some specific style, like tech here, will be unique, and everything in that style after them will more or less in some way draw from that basis, likely making the maps less unique in some ways. Then as more maps of that style come up, it all will naturally be "more generic" as well - as long as there isn't someone doing something new and border-breaking in the style again. And the cycle continues. This whole thing pretty much applies to other styles as well more or less (or any innovative field in general)

I don't really know too much about the scene in tech mapping, so if your impression these days is that they "just try to replicate the success of all the old ones", then we are probably at the part where it's waiting game for the next big innovation in the style - if it ever happens
WitherMite
as someone who joined osu! well after "tech" maps were already common things, I find them to usually be fun maps to play, but are pretty same-y most of the time unless they are really well made and use the "tech" gimmicks to really reflect the song instead of just being cool. I think that too many people mapping tech maps are trying to be different, when as Endaris said, there isn't much to innovate in a tech map anymore, and its really not much different from mapping in the generic "anime" style, in terms of how to make it a good map at least, just more time consuming to produce.

Tech is a very poorly defined genre of maps to begin with, when I first heard of them I thought the term referred to maps that make use of multiple skillsets to challenge the player, which turned out to be wrong. then I realized that to some players it just means slider spammy maps, while to mappers, it means maps with really variable SV changes and dense rhythms.

Imo "Tech" shouldn't be held up on a pedestal because its different, because its not. It is just another way to better represent certain genres of music.
Chiru-kun
Side comment: I think that tech is becoming a style rather than a unique gimmick. For example, I feel that it's praised on the same level of visually random, unclean-but-pleasing-to-the-eye styles like this map, or the supposed "generic" style, or whatever.

Main comment:
Topic makes you think about what "good" really is.
Is it a gimmick, a style, a nostalgic memory...? Really, I think it just depends on the player.
lewski
they're not getting more generic, they've been generic for years

you said it yourself:

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

Most of them looks like it's just try to replicate the success of all the old ones.
furry hater
Imagine if this is an tech map.

qwt
Of course they are
Nilocnus
They're getting generic because there's nothing new to try.
Adinda
Kinda agree generic ,they looks about same because the pattern that they used always happens in others map so ,unless use specific concept like some themes on monthly beatmap contest it would more clear and less generic.
7ambda
That's a boomer mindset. You only think about the most obvious techniques and maps, but have you considered looking beyond that?
Topic Starter
Zelzatter Zero

J_8579 wrote:

That's a boomer mindset. You're only thinking about the most obvious techniques and maps.

Look beyond that.
I tried, that's the problem here. Maps from KoiFishu's videos are... ehh, most tech mappers's map preview in Twitter are either have a heavy use of wacky curved sliders with high SV to represent wub sounds or just looking alike of every maps I see everywhere, Graveyard maps... what's even the point of this when all of them still look alike?

Like the only tech I like is the one with not too much of extreme SV changes and actually care about playability, and maps in this current era failed to do that at least for me.

tbh, as the one who already get familiar with tech mapping, bashing like that is no different than slapping to my own face, but what other should I do?
Shiyzo

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

J_8579 wrote:

That's a boomer mindset. You're only thinking about the most obvious techniques and maps.

Look beyond that.
I tried, that's the problem here. Maps from KoiFishu's videos are... ehh, most tech mappers's map preview in Twitter are either have a heavy use of wacky curved sliders with high SV to represent wub sounds or just looking alike of every maps I see everywhere, Graveyard maps... what's even the point of this when all of them still look alike?

Like the only tech I like is the one with not too much of extreme SV changes and actually care about playability, and maps in this current era failed to do that at least for me.

tbh, as the one who already get familiar with tech mapping, bashing like that is no different than slapping to my own face, but what other should I do?
to reply on this, that's pretty much how things work in osu!. i sometimes ask myself what will the future osu maps look like? ar e we ever getting something new in this brand world of mapping and amazing ideas ppl could pull up? or are we gonna come to the endpoint of figuring out new 'styles' and just make look-alike shit all the time?
then i like to think that lazer will fix everything, somehow. we're gonna get new editor, and hopefully with it new features. features that can give us new tools and more options. people will surely use it to their advantage to think of new styles, develop more previous ones.
and with that tech map will change. for instance, already now it's much better to make slider shapes in lazer editor. it's gonna be much easier & more fun to make some sick shapes n get creative w it.
lewski
slider shapes are cool and all but that's nothing compared to the other stuff that's been promised for lazer, I'm really looking forward to variable diff settings and rankable 2b